Sun, Sep 22, 11:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Curled Parchment

muller252 ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 7:56 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 11:26 PM

Hi, Are there any bryce tutorials for creating a parchment with curled ends?

skiwillgee ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 7:20 PM

You can make wrinkles as a terrain in TE but I don't think a curl can be done. 

Death_at_Midnight ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 7:29 PM

Along with using the TE as skiwillgee points out, you could do parts of the curl and then group them together--simulating a curl.

Ang25 ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 9:38 PM

file_372251.jpg

Is this what you're talking about? this was done real quick in the terrain editor, I used a lattice. Anyhow, its easy enough to make. I drew this with the mouse in the TE which is why its choppy. If you use another program to draw it or have a wacum pen, it could look a lot nicer. The trick is to draw it from its side view. HTH

Zhann ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2007 at 1:41 PM

If you just wanted a corner curl you may have to look for an obj model. Check out free stuff here and at DAZ, I remember someone offering a parchment.........=)

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 1:12 AM

If you haven't had any luck modeling, or obtaining a parchment model, let me know. I have a way to do it in Wings and I'd make you one.

muller252 ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 6:15 AM

WOW! Thats really kind of you danamo. I'd be interested to see it.

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 1:40 PM

Sure, I'd be happy to. Question; do you need something like an unrolled scroll, or more like a single page of parchment in which the ends curl up as if it had been previously rolled?

muller252 ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 1:43 PM

A single page with the ends curled up, please. All I can say is thank you.

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 3:11 PM · edited Tue, 27 March 2007 at 3:19 PM

file_373146.jpg

You're welcome.:) Here's a couple of example WIPs that I threw together. Is example A more in line with what you want? Also, are you going to want visible writing on the parchment? I could probably send this UVmapped so that you could add writing. This is "example A"-

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 3:14 PM

file_373148.jpg

...and this is "example B", more scroll-like. I can also adjust the size of the flat page area to fit your writing, or map, if you want to add those things.

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 3:18 PM

I can make the final model a little more irregular,( creases, wrinkles, tears, etc. and I can make it thinner, if you want. I always think of parchment as being not quite as thick as leather, but not quite as thin as paper either.

muller252 ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 4:03 PM

The third option actually sounds exactly like what I might be looking for.

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 4:08 PM

OK, I should have something for you very shortly. :-)

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 5:48 PM

file_373163.jpg

OK, which do you like better, picture 1, or 2? This is picture 1...

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 5:57 PM

file_373164.jpg

And this is picture 2. I modeled some wrinkles and a couple of tears, and the file is still only around 700 odd polys. I gave the upward facing polys a different material so they can be mapped separately. Will this do? if so, just IM me with your email addy and I'll send it as an attachment, if that's OK. Sorry, I don't currently have a website to post it on, otherwise I would do that. Also, if you want, I'll go ahead and UV map it so you can add your textures to the included template. Just pick which ver. you like and I can send it off to you. Cheers, Dan

Death_at_Midnight ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 7:23 PM

That is a very nice model indeed.

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 7:40 PM

Thank you Death_at_Midnight.

muller252 ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 3:48 AM

Hi Dan, sorry for delay. What would be perfect would be the texture and rips of the last one you showed, but in the style of the first image you showed. Thank you, again.

muller252 ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 3:50 AM

One other thing, I don't know how to apply textures.

danamo ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 6:23 PM

file_373365.jpg

No worries. I did not UV map this model and just applied a tiling parchment texture I found through Google image search. Instead of the default Parametric mapping mode, I used Object  Cubic, increased the frequency of the tiling a bit, and the texture/mat applied evenly. I made the "writing" area into a separate mesh which can be duplicated in Bryce and then an image map with a matching alpha can be applied to it. I raised the duplicate mesh the tiniest amount possible on the "Y" axis and the writing shows clearly against the "parchment" material.

danamo ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 6:26 PM

file_373366.jpg

A wireframe showing the separate mesh "writing" area that has been duplicated in Bryce.

danamo ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 6:35 PM

file_373367.jpg

If you use a paint program, or image editor you can "weather" the edges of the scroll a bit. You can apply the writing, or map, by using a bitmap on the duplicated mesh and render it in your scene, or you could add it in post in an image editor.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.