Sun, Sep 22, 4:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Animated textures

xvcoffee ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2001 at 4:44 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 4:35 AM

file_168786.gif

To recap, it is not possible to animate textures in Poser like Ive done here.

doozy ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2001 at 8:00 AM

file_168787.gif

No post-processing. This is as it came from Poser.

wulfie66 ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2001 at 8:21 AM

alright...so how did you do it then??!! LOL

xvcoffee ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2001 at 10:05 AM

file_168788.gif

You mean how did HE do it!

wulfie66 ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2001 at 10:09 AM

alright guys, enough playing around...how the HECK did HE do it?! LOL

Moonbiter ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2001 at 12:00 PM

Wow.. that is to cool. How did you do it!

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2001 at 4:01 PM

Okay, thanks doozy for the link the new thread about this "magic" animating texture. Are either of you going to answer the burning question?b If you don't it can be for only one of two reasons: 1) You did it in post, not entirely in Poser, or ... 2) It such a complicated and drawn out process that you are too embarrassed to admit you spent that much time to create it in Poser. ;-)

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2001 at 4:02 PM

#2 got me thinking ... Did you simply render each frame individually, changing the texture before each render? Then saving and finally compiling all of the TIF files to make a movie? Did I nail it? -Tim

darken99 ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2001 at 5:54 PM

Step 1) Buy the ProPack Step 2) Click "Animated Textures" Done.

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2001 at 8:06 PM

Darken: Uhhhh ....wrong ... 1) I own the ProPack 2) If YOU owned the ProPack and actually used the feature you would realize it does NOT animate texture-maps, only colors. Sorry to burst your bubble, but even if that did work -- which it does NOT -- they would have to load a picture into the texture map for EACH and every keyframe. Tedious and a waste of time to say the least. -Tim

wulfie66 ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2001 at 9:54 PM

so tell us guys..stop leaving the entire community in suspense like this!! how was it done??!!

doozy ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2001 at 5:25 AM

Notice how in ddmwm's pics the rear wall changes color? That must be because the wall is moving but the lights are not moving along with it... Then if you have a hole in the wall, you can put whatever you want behind it... In my case, I left the wall still, but moved the man and the camera. The picture is really a verry long rectangle, and its texture has all the frames of the little movie in a row. It moves past the hole one frame at a time. A new idea (which I have not tried yet) would still have the long rectangle, but perhaps a frame around the picture you want, and super big magnets to make the rest of the rectangle collapse to a small enough size so that it can be hidden by the frame. Then you could really have a back wall, or other items in your scene behind the moving picture.

timoteo1 ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2001 at 7:03 AM

Ahhhhh ... okay, that's tricky. Very, clever indeed. However, I'd just comp it in After Effects and be done with it. ;-)

xvcoffee ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2001 at 8:27 AM

Very, very clever Mr. Doozy, especially how you got the hand to appear to be going around the hole as if it were a One Sided Square like in mine. Each frame in the black square looks exactly aligned, as for the hole how did you ever get that? Right, its a transparency isnt it?

doozy ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2001 at 7:10 PM

Each frame in the black square looks exactly aligned, as for the hole how did you ever get that? Each "frame" is exactly 0.1 Poser units wide, and I move the "film" at the appropriate rate, so that is moves 3.0 units per second, and record at 30 frames per second. >>> Right, its a transparency isnt it? I tried first with a transparency, but later decided that it would work better with just a hole in the wall, which is what you see here. The man's fingers are actually going through the wall. But the illusion is that the wall is much further back. >>> I'd just comp it in After Effects and be done with it At around $1500, my budget does not allow that.

timoteo1 ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2001 at 9:24 PM

Okay, Adobe Premeire then ... it could easily do it ... even the LE version. I'm sure there is other even cheaper software out there that would do it for you and take about 1/100th of the time. BTW, AE is "only" around $500 for the standard version. The Production Bundle adds on about $1000, but most people don't need it. Anyway, still very clever ... just very time consuming. Nice work. -Tim

xvcoffee ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2001 at 10:49 PM

I agree, excellent work, and a bit more multifarious than my attempted spoof on your creation. Sorry, the temptation was to great, but thats not how I did it. http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=289180

doozy ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2001 at 12:16 PM

file_168789.gif

OK my moving picture in a frame (as described before) has been made. You can move it around like any prop. It can cast a shadow. And a shadow can fall on it. Can the expensive After Effects manage that? Anyway, do you think this prop would be of interest for the Free Stuff area?

timoteo1 ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2001 at 12:30 PM

Wow, pretty cool. HOW did you do this one??? Is that a joke ... "...be of interest for the Free Stuff area." YES!!!! In fact, I hate to admit it, but you could probably sell it in the Store. I hope you don't obviously, but I think you could. As far as After Effects ... of course ... it can do that and a whole lot more. After Effects is simply one of the best programs EVER created for the desktop. It's the most amazing pieces of animation/special effects packages I have ever seen. -Tim

mocap ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2001 at 8:24 PM

Attached Link: http://server3006.freeyellow.com/3908/stats/blastfinal.mpg

Amen Brother!! I use After effects and premeir for all of my post work its awesome!!! (1114k) Mpeg Mocap

timoteo1 ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2001 at 9:42 PM

Cool special effects, but if you don't mind a criticism ... the parts circulate back and forth rather than explode. If I had to guess I would say you did the "space station" explodingf scene in Bryce using scatter (or randomize, or whatever its called), which unfortunately often causes this looping look when animated. Love the post work though. -Tim

mocap ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2001 at 5:03 AM

Attached Link: http://server3006.freeyellow.com/3908/stats/propacsaber.mpg

(400K mpeg) Your right !! Unfortunately i used the 3D Disperse and Rotate command when i should have just chosen the 3D Disperse only. im such a post effects nut i tend to get sloppy on the pricinpal "photograhy" some times because im so anxious to get to the post production. thanks for the comments Mocap

xvcoffee ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2001 at 9:03 AM

Does After Effects have a dial which turns the volume down on the price tag so that it becomes a practical object? Coming soon, Animated Transparency Maps.

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2001 at 2:23 PM

Mocap: Ahhh, that's what it was, okay. I've done the same thing before, but it's been a while. The 3D disperse doesn't always work to my liking. Sometimes, if it's a really important that the effects shot look top-notch, I'll animate each piece of debris. A major pain to be sure, but the end results looks incredible. But 3D-disperse comes in very handy most of the time. Then of course you can blow things up in After Effects as well, especially if the object is at a distance. -Tim

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2001 at 2:28 PM

ddmwm: I suppose it depends on what your definition of "practical" is of course. I too thought it was very expensive when I was first looking into getting it ... especially since I was interested in the production bundle version. However, AE paid for itself with the first job I ever did for a local client. It allows you to offer "pro-studio" comps, titles, effects as a one man operation with no (or extremely low) overhead. To me, THAT is the definition of practical. -Tim

xvcoffee ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2001 at 5:01 PM

Does it let you animate transparency maps?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.