Mon, Sep 9, 6:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: figure creation problem

Swidhelm ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 6:04 PM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 3:54 AM

Hello all,

Okay I don't post here often, but I have a bit of a problem I think. I've found what I could on figure creation and got some tips from users here in comments on one of my images, but I've run into a snag and would greatly appreciate any advice or help!

I modeled and Alien figure, mapped him, set up material zones corresponding to the bones I want to use. However I find converting it to a phi file (exported from Wings as a OBJ file, with separate groups per material) it essentially comes into poser as nothing. No figure, no prop, nothing. Just blank. Nothing to grab and add to create a cr2 as I've read. However I think also when I create the phi file I should be able to see a hierarchy of the groups, but all I see is one group called alien. Is that a problem?

Aside from that I tried importing as is and grouping in poser via the material groups I created. The skeleton went together fine, however when grouping I keep ending up with it telling me there are always polys not grouped. I can't for the life of me find them. That and I end up with duplicate meshes. And if I delete those I end up with holes in my main mesh. Its aggravating to say the least. I had the rig going good except that one finger joint on one hand decided to vanish, despite everything in the hierarchy editor looking fine. Essentially I had rMid1,rMid2(bone there, mesh grouped yet would not interact despite additional attempts at grouping) rMid3. What it did was create a "Figure_setup 1 prop" in place of the second fingure joint. At a complete loss as to how that happened.

Anyways, I know its a bit much, and probably really confusing. At least to those like me that don't know the setup room well and are amazed at the lack of info the poser 6 manual actually offers. :P

Thanks for your time!
Swidhelm

ockham ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 6:09 PM

file_373167.jpg

One possibility:  your OBJ file might have "grouped groups".  Amapi does this all the time, and I've seen it in Wings output (though I haven't used Wings.)

Look through the OBJ file for doubled names on the 'g' lines, like the one in
this picture...   If you find anything like this, reduce it to only the body part:

g lArm

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 6:59 PM

see if "alien" appears in hierarchy editor.

Swidhelm ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 7:34 PM

Sweet! Thanks for the help! Though it didn't help me create a phi (it had errors loading after removing additional info prior to the material name other than "g" of coarse. But going though that helped me locate the material that should not have been there and I was able to group the object without having polys not grouped to a bone. So it has worked (I think)--haven't come across any new problems at the moment. Was able to use the same skeleton I created.

And Miss Nancy, thanks as well. Not sure if it appeared in the hierarchy editor, but it did appear in the list of materials and it wasn't supposed to be there :P Hopefully everything will be okay now. My first real attempt at a figure that isn't conforming clothes.

So thanks again for the help! That's why I love this community :D

Cheers
Swidhelm

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.