Thu, Sep 19, 9:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:20 pm)

Subject: Can't open Poser 7 - parse error!

philebus ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 4:00 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 5:23 AM

file_373524.jpg

Does anyone know what is happening here. I did a fresh install of Poser 7 after some files were accidentally erased this morning. All worked well when I tested it out then. However, I tried to open up P7 a couple of hours ago and before the Poser 7 splash screen could show, I got a Parse error message come up.

I figured that something got corrupted somewhere and did yet another re-install (including sr1 but nothing else) but still I get the same error keeping me from opening the program. My older versions of Poser are working fine (4pp, 5, and 6).

Nothing new has been installed on my pc for a good while and everything else I've tested seems to work fine. Does anyone have any ideas?

ockham ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 4:20 PM

Have you looked in the Documents and Settings area?  Poser 7 keeps
some of its XML stuff there now, under

C:Documents and Settings[your name]Application DataPoser 7

Re-installing seems to skip those files.  Try moving the
files in that folder elsewhere (so as not to actually delete them)
and see if Poser will rebuild them in a nice default form.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 5:47 PM

Yeah I would expect that one or more Poser-specific XML files is damaged - that SHOULD be the only stuff that is being parsed at startup.

Are you by chance copying your PoserRuntime folder from another version of Poser?  If so, you may be writing old version XML files into PoserRuntimeui , or ...Prefs or something.

My Freebies

philebus ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 6:12 PM

I didn't know about those files. I've tried moving them as suggested but they don't get re-built. I'm going to delete them and try to re-install over again in the morning. Thanks for the input.

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 6:44 PM

If you're doing uninstall/reinstall, and you are OK with removing your whole runtime directory, you may want to ...

1. uninstall Poser
  2. Use a file browser and locate C:Program Filese frontier
  3. Delete (or move) the entire directory.

**Note this will kill all the content in your Runtime folder!!

**If that doesn't fix it, then I would consider updating your video drivers, as the only other thing I can think of that would be "parsed" at Poser startup might be some OpenGL configuration file.  You probably should also open a ticket with e frontier support:
http://www.e-frontier.com/article/articleview/18?sbss=435

My Freebies

CeeBeeVFXG ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 9:28 PM

Look at the file e frontier/Poser 7/Runtime/heads/knownFaceRoomHeads.xml

I got the same error after installing the Poser 7 SR1 and some of the Face Room files so I started looking through all the xml files and that one only had one line in it!

If you have downloaded the Apollo Maximus core zip, you can replace the xml file with the one from Apollo's files.

If that is the problem, it should fix it (hopefully!) 😉

~ Meow ~

CeeBeeVFXG ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 9:52 PM

Correction: You will find the file in the Poser 7 Face Room Module zip (not the core zip) 😄*

~ Meow ~

Darboshanski ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 11:19 PM

Check to make sure you do not have "Check for updates on launch" box checked in your general preferences. This seems to help the parse errors.

My Facebook Page

philebus ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 3:51 AM

CeeBee, you hit the nail on the head. I ran Poser after each stage of installing, the initial install, the SR1, and then after the face room installers. The xml file looked ok but one of the installers must have made a mess of updating it somewhere, presumably at line 83 - I'm not about to go through all that again to find out which one the culprit was but I suspect that it might have been the installer for the original Miki.

Anywho...I replaced the file with the one from Apollo - the only figure I hadn't got around to re-installing yet - and lo, it all works fine again.

Thank you eveyone for your input.

CeeBeeVFXG ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 8:22 AM

Glad it worked for you philebus! :biggrin:

~ Meow ~

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 25 June 2007 at 7:45 AM

This has been a very very helpful guidance.  I fixed my Poser 7 SR2 with the Apollo Maximus face room module file.  Poser loads completely now.

Eternal Hobbyist

kalon ( ) posted Mon, 25 June 2007 at 8:50 AM

The other way to fix it is to make sure that the close definition tag ends the file. For some reason some of the faceroom installers, install there information after the closing tag and don't enter a closing tag of their own.

kalonart.com

elektra ( ) posted Wed, 27 June 2007 at 6:43 AM

Morning.

Built a new machine this past Friday and got everything up and running.  I ran into this problem and I figured out when it occured.  It was after I installed the Miki CE Content I got with Poser 6 and then did the face room update.  I started to see the error after that.  

Thank you, CeeBee.  When I installed my new Apollo content, with the face room, it fixed the issue.  I should probably let the folks at e-frontier know this.

Have a good one!

CeeBeeVFXG ( ) posted Wed, 27 June 2007 at 7:25 AM · edited Wed, 27 June 2007 at 7:25 AM

Hi elektra,

Glad it worked for you :biggrin:

Good luck with your new machine!

~ Meow ~

elektra ( ) posted Wed, 27 June 2007 at 8:02 AM

😄

No kidding.  I'm still looking at 60+ Gig of content to be reinstalled.  I did not want to have to start over uninstalling and reinstalling Poser. 

Ahhh, the new machine - EVGA MB nVidia 680i chipset with an EVGA nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS video card with 620mb ram on the card.  Can't wait to pick up a second one to try the SLI tech.  Went with the Conroe E6600 Intel Core 2 Duo Processor.  2 gigs of Ram and a 500 GB SATA drive.  I think even Vue will like this machine.  😄

CeeBeeVFXG ( ) posted Wed, 27 June 2007 at 8:17 AM

Wow - Sounds like a killer machine! 🤤

Let us know how Poser and Vue run on it. I had my present machine built for me last year but I learned alot in the process and will be building my own in the future. I have an nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX card with 512mb ram on it and it rocks!

Did you have your Runtimes backed up somewhere so you can just drop them into Poser or are you reinstalling everything from scratch?

~ Meow ~

elektra ( ) posted Wed, 27 June 2007 at 11:28 AM

Hey that 7900 card is supposed to be a really nice one.  I've heard from others that it's a killer card.

I am going to reinstall from scratch.  I decided to go ahead and drop P6 and just set up P7 on it's own and decided for reasons that most people who are not anal don't understand that I would start fresh.  Ah, Poser and my love/hate relationship. 😄

Working from home one day a week has it's benefits.  I can sit and install in between calls.  😄

CeeBeeVFXG ( ) posted Wed, 27 June 2007 at 11:41 AM

Quote - I am going to reinstall from scratch.  I decided to go ahead and drop P6 and just set up P7 on it's own and decided for reasons that most people who are not anal don't understand that I would start fresh.  Ah, Poser and my love/hate relationship.

:scared: Good Luck between calls LOL!!

Seriously, sometimes it's good to start from scratch - get a nice fresh start and weed out the junk 😄

~ Meow ~

elektra ( ) posted Wed, 27 June 2007 at 2:12 PM

Yea, phone technical support is a great job.  Right up there with rectal exams and root canals.

CeeBeeVFXG ( ) posted Wed, 27 June 2007 at 4:48 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

~ Meow ~

FALCON2 ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 4:00 AM

You folks hit the nail on the head for resolving the parse error!!

The Faceroom file from Apollo fixed everything up in a heartbeat.

I'd originally attempted to kill the prefs (though I'd saved off mine Just in case)
and that was no good. OPened a ticket at e-f, then did some searching and
found nothing initially.  Tried reinstalling SR2 to see if that helped - but no
joy there either, then this morning, found this thread, and Poof instant fix.

The Apollot faceroom file is now in my emergency backup archive of poser
prefs :)

Thanks again all!

Falcon

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.