Sun, Oct 6, 2:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Beginner in need!

atacit ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 12:22 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 12:34 PM

Just a quick plea for help. I am a paper and pencil vetern looking at transitioning to digital art. I am currently studying Poser and Photoshop and I want to get a Wacom type pad. Any advice to this digital caveman? I do mostly black and white drawings presently and I know very little about this product . Any help would be great..

dreamer101 ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 2:25 PM

Using a Wacom tablet  and pen would be more natural for a "paper and pencil" person to draw than using a mouse. Instead of dragging your mouse around you would be drawing on the tablet with a pen.  It's pressure sensitive where a mouse is not. You have more control. I use mine all the time and can't be without it.

Ofthepast ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 2:45 PM

Attached Link: http://www.wacom.com/graphire/index.cfm

A Graphire is a good starting point.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 3:10 PM

it also takes time to get used to watching the screen, rather than the hand, when drawing IMVHO.

thundering1 ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 10:47 PM

Yes, definitely takes some getting used to, but once you're there you'll never go back!
I still prefer to do any drawings on paper and scan them into Photoshop (MANY people prefer this as well), so don't think you have to stop that altogether.

As far as Photoshop, there's classondemand.net, thegnomonworkshop.com, lynda.com - SO many where you can find educational training or simple tuts on how to accomplish anything you want.

I also highly recommend you get a membership to NAPP - the National Association of Photoshop Professionals. Don't have to be a pro to get a membership, and when you get it, you'll get PhotoshopUser Mag, discounts on others (like Layers Mag), access to truckloads of online tuts at photoshopuser.com, etc. MANY benefits!

Incredible learning source!

Good luck and have fun!
-Lew ;-)

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 10:49 PM

I use the Graphire Wacom tablet, best purchase I've made by far. I also use Photoshop CS2 and Poser 7. 

There will be a semi-steep learning curve for Photoshop. Not in the sense that you wouldn't be able to use it right away (you surely can!) but there is sooo much to Photoshop that it will take you a good year to really get a hold of everything it can do.

Hope this helps.

Comitted to excellence through art.

Lucie ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 7:45 PM

*but there is sooo much to Photoshop that it will take you a good year to really get a hold of everything it can do.

*I got to be slow!  I've been using photoshop for years and there are still things in the program that I don't know what they're for exactly...  lol 

I too have found that a wacom tablet is absolutely wonderful!  I don't know what I'd do without it now that I had a good taste...  :)

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

Imager ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 11:05 PM

Everyone says it takes time to get used to watching the cursor on the screen when using a pen and tablet, but it's really no different from watching the cursor when you use a mouse.  If you've done any work on a computer (even just surfing the net) then you have watched a cursor on the screen respond to hand movements.  There is really not much learning curve in that respect.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 4:12 AM

Quote - *but there is sooo much to Photoshop that it will take you a good year to really get a hold of everything it can do.

*I got to be slow!  I've been using photoshop for years and there are still things in the program that I don't know what they're for exactly...  lol 

Lucie,
A big difference between using just the tools that work for you and understanding all of the tools/filters/etc.
I've been using ps for quite some time myself and just learned something new and different with one of the filters the other day...lol! A filter! 😉

Comitted to excellence through art.

atacit ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 4:28 PM

Man O" Man! Thank you all for the responses! I am sorry I didn't reply sooner but I have been between computers. My new one has Adobe Photoshop cs2,Poser 6,Manga studio/debut 3,Vue 5,Shade 8 and I feel so overwhelmed I wanna puke a little, seriously. I looked at the art pads and there seems to be 2 choices also. Intuos and graphire...which would suit me better? I would like to ask some advice of you all. Faced with all this learning ahead of me I was hoping someone could give me a heads-up so to speak. I have no idea where to begin. Should I concentrate on Manga studio or is photoshop more useful. I realize as a pencil jocky a small victory first is important to keep up my confidence. So Poser and its buddies will be last. My problem is a friend advised Adobe illustrator. I am sure they are all great but do they overlap and say if I busted my hump on Photoshop would I even need illustrator or Manga studio.Is the full version of Manga a better route....i feel like the damn Geiko caveman right now. Any advice is welcome and again thank you all for taking the time. This has to be the friendliest board I have ever joined.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.