Thu, Sep 19, 5:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Feb/March 2007 Challenge "Kiss My Glass" - Vote Here!!!!

Artist26 ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 9:48 PM

savantnoir- 3 points  
Thandaluz 2points
Aeello -1 point

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 10:19 PM

drawbridgep ......3
Agent Smith .......2
Death_at_midnight ......1

All refraction.... All specularity.....   All reflection....  All transparency....  All glass....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 5:30 AM

AgentSmith - 3 Points
Drawbridgep - 2 Points
ICM - 1 Point

drawbridgep ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 6:40 AM

ICM - 3 points
Death by Midnight - 2 points
Agent Smith - 1

What's with all the vote cheating going on?   I guess a number of people signed up just to vote?  ;-)

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

NeedlesAndYarn ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 11:12 AM

Death_at_Midnight - 3
Orbital - 2
aeello - 1

Everyone did an amazing job! It was really hard to choose!

evielouise ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 11:19 AM

A side note here:
I knew when I made something (all in bryce) that I would not
stand a chance in you know where ?? (smile)
However,my few votes are from my family and two friends:
I don't ever think of cheating-but people ,friends,family have to know
your in a contest:
I am a beginner (don't know too much and have a lot to learn:
this was just in fun!
Or?? are they giving the winners a trip to Australia lol:
in that case I hope someone wins big time:
Your all so great ,your  artwork is amazing,it's one of the reasons
 I joined many years ago here at Renderosity
I even wear  thier T_S lol:
hugs and good luck to all!!!

Death_at_Midnight ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 11:45 AM · edited Mon, 02 April 2007 at 11:47 AM

I think this is all in fun, but I do it as a learning experience. There's so many artists here in this one forum alone who have works I admire and skills that make me go :-o  What makes it hard to choose with the voting is so many different interpretations of glass. With everyone's entry I try to place my mind into a mindset I think the artist is trying to show. With my entry it evolved from Tom271 and then from a comment TheBryster made about transistors. I admire and respect everyone here and take objectively comments made. I have a history degree too, so part of my interpretation of glass is historical.

Art is often an extension of the artist.

I hope everyone has fun in these challenges and not to look at them like some sort of art battle, but firstly to have fun, secondly to express oneself with Bryce, thirdly to learn from; and to consider everyone here a friend, not an opponent. That's what I do, anyway. :-)

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 12:24 PM

Quote -

Same here....but its all in fun and gives a chance for people
to see you're artwork :)

KellieInCali ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 2:02 AM

ICM = 3
Agent Smith = 2
Prae = 1

destinys_something ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 8:07 AM · edited Tue, 03 April 2007 at 8:15 AM

I dont know Bryce so it’s a bit hard for me to vote (I can’t distinguish between a nice picture and a technological masterpiece).....but I do know enough to say this: 

There has always been those who enlist their friends to vote for them & final placings will always be somewhat distorted by the presence of a few who really shouldn’t be there at all. Whilst it’s not considered cheating, it’s still vote-rigging. And whatever label the sympathy (aka friendship) vote goes by; it discredits the recipient and is a rude gesture to “the sport” AND the other entrants.

This sort of thing puts some people off entering  or voting on future competitions & encourages other entrants to enlist the help of their long-suffering friends too....but so long as those oh-so-genuine-Bryce-Lovers get their sympathy votes......I guess its all good?

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 12:54 PM

It's just a I see a lot of people that joined over the past few days making votes and I've gotta think that they are either fake accounts, or, as you said, friends and family who signed up just to vote.  In either case, I'm not sure having friends and family log in to vote for you is really in the spirit of the competition.
That's turning it into more of a popularity contest and less of an art contest.

but yeah, it's all in fun and it's not supposed to be serious, so I guess I shouldn't care.

Good luck

Quote - A side note here:
your in a contest:
this was just in fun!

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

grasshopper1980 ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 1:14 PM · edited Tue, 03 April 2007 at 1:14 PM

Quote - A side note here:
your in a contest:
this was just in fun!

Well, to put my point on this in, so far as I count, I have no votes.  That's ok though, because I really like the piece that I made, and it is all in fun.  As far as friends and family, I could have called in my entire clan(literally since I'm close to all of my cousins, uncles, and aunts, and I would be in the lead now, but I didn't do that because it would not have been fair.   Besides, I don't want someone to vote on my art because I asked them too or because they were family, but rather because they actually liked it over the other entries.  Good luck to all.

Incognitas ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 1:26 PM

Does rigging the vote happen often?I expected old Renderosity friends to vote for their particular friends but not families for family members...It's so,so juvenile.I would feel cheap winning that way and frankly would withdraw if I found my family doing any such thing.

Death_at_Midnight ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 1:38 PM

Votes and family/friends is always a difficult issue to discuss. I find myself agreeing with both sides. It shouldn't become a popularity contest. Here's an interesting link: 
http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?viewStory=13102   

With Renderosity getting 200 new memberships daily, and with 3 days of voting, 600 new memberships during our voting period, there's bound to be people voting who haven't posted before, some may be family, friends, colleagues, etc. I know I don't keep silent about my gallery, and try to spread the word that I do post stuff here and try to bring more new people to Bryce. I've been invited to speak in classrooms at the university here, ~30 art students a class, and I tell them about my only gallery on the 'net.. here at Renderosity. There are also those people who follow a particular artist, rarely ever leaving a comment, just one of those nameless viewers.

But yeah, careful about making it extreme. 

Incognitas ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 1:55 PM

Quote -

But yeah, careful about making it extreme. 

Don't worry I won't..I just find it odd that folk bring their clan along with them...Me I leave them behind mainly because I want to do things on my own.😉 20 odd years of being trailed by children leave one seeking some independence.

Death_at_Midnight ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 2:03 PM

Heheh! I like that :-)

boekenwuurm ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 3:17 PM

In my opinion the target of a contest is to get reckoning for your work and measure it with others., maybe grab some tips somewhere. 
In that light taking friends and family for voting make no sense.

That is also the reason that this is my first upload (heck, this is also just my second post LOL), I was afraid it wasn't good enough (or that my englisch through dyslectia/dutch not sufficient was/is) :tongue1:

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 3:33 PM

Yeah, but it's also not about winning or losing or being good enough or not.   It's about creating a image and displaying it with others all along a similar theme.   We could quite easily still do this without voting or having a winner, but then who would pick the next comp?  :-)

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Death_at_Midnight ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 3:44 PM

How about instead of adding up the number of votes, it gets done with some statistics... that way we could account for outliers.

azoohouse ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 4:17 PM

Lemonjim 3 points
Prae 2 points
Ranachronos 1 point

croowe ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 9:28 AM

Some very nice renders here, tough to choose 3.

Aliensprog   -  3pts
SavantNoir   -  2pts
Prae              -  1pts

Burpee ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 3:22 PM

Gosh, what a tough, tough, tough decision this was.  so many amazing images.  If this challenge had been about just refraction and reflection of glass( which is what I thought it was suppose to be originally), I would have voted much differently.  Since you only really needed to have glass in your image...well, this is how I voted then.

Naoo - 3 points   (Naoo's image appealled to me but he also shows excellent refraction of glass in the image.  We can see the glass bending the lines on the background)

SavantNoir - 2 points  (unfortunately no refraction and little reflection but the glass has a wonderful realistic glass quality and I like the image)

Death_at_Midnight - 1 point (excellent refraction and reflective properties...cool pic)

Honorable mentions?  Hahahahaaa....Prae, aliensprog, Lemonjim, orbital, ICM, donniemc0, and on and on....

Burpee ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 3:33 PM

Geezers, just reading back here and I really feel like the Bryce forum is obssessed with the thought that people are cheating.  Every time  I come here I read something about possible duplicate accounts and family and friends.   I think it's a lot less than you all make it out to be.  Believe me, I can't even get my family and friends to look at my art, can you?  You'll always have a person or two that begs for votes.  Oh well.  You can't let these few ruin your enjoyment of the greater good going on here. 

I think the bigger problem is people voting for their favorite image rather than voting on the parameters set for the challenge.  It should be made clear exactly what is expected from those who are voting.

Uncle_Riotous ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 3:40 PM

I voted purely for the images I really liked.  I want to know who won.

Burpee ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 3:51 PM

Heheheh...anyone ever tell you that you're cute?

SavantNoir ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 5:42 PM

In response to Burpee:  yeah, i know.  lol.  I went a different route, for when we think of glass we tend to think of rather transparent glass objects.  I probably shoud have gone more that way, but I was playing with texturized glass, more for my growth; learning how to use multi-channel manipulation for effect.  Everything is glass (except for the chrome), it is just not transparent glass. Reflectivity is set at 100%, just camera angle is high, looking down, deliberately minimizing picking up other objects so each glass peice could stand distinct.  Given a chance to do it again, I think I may have done things differently.  I love hindsight!  Now, if i can figure out how to live in the past, I could take advantage of it!  lol.

Burpee ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 6:46 PM

Savant, why do it different or regret what you did?  Your image is fantastic.  The glass looks like glass.  I was just going by what the original thread challenge stated "the more refraction and reflection the better".  I guess I had assumed that that was an important part of the challenge at first.  I don't think it is now.  After reading it again, I think it's just using glass, playing with glass and coming up with the best image you could.  You did :)

SavantNoir ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 7:20 PM

Aw.....thanks!  I liked my picture a lot at the time, but I have now been playing with Bryce for 2 weeks longer. Now that I am finally getting a little more technical expertise under my belt, I find it much harder to please myself, striving for absolute realism as best I can.  I have Vue, 3dMax, Houdini, Maya, and a few more programs awaiting me (still shrink-wrapped), but I wanted to learn how to work Bryce before moving on to others.  I think it has been almost 3 months now since I first started, and I have learned about 1/10th of it!  I betcha everyone that looks at their own work is much harder on themselves then the outside observer.  I see 2 things in my post I wish I woulda fixed before i posted it.  Probably no one else even noticed.    But along the way, I got modeling under my belt, texturing, and a few other tricks...now maybe one day I might actually learn how to do something "green" and make a scene!  lol

Uncle_Riotous ( ) posted Thu, 05 April 2007 at 2:32 AM

I reckon people are probably harder on my work than I am ;)

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 05 April 2007 at 8:22 AM · edited Thu, 05 April 2007 at 8:34 AM

Thanks for all the participation everyone, this voting thread is closed.

The only voting not allowed is clone voting.

Thanks again.

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.