Mon, Sep 23, 3:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 2:16 pm)

Subject: Want critiques?

Tissaia ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 1:13 AM · edited Tue, 03 April 2007 at 1:15 AM

Quote - Mua ha ha!  Soon we will achieve GLOBAL DOMINATION!

:laugh:

Quote - Also, I have seen two wonderful - IMHO - renders in the Poser gallery. The Mariyn Monroe portrait by Yannek and Kuiski's crucifixation. Stunning work.

Agree... very impressive works!

KarenJ ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 2:50 AM

Sivana, Woodant, Ladona and Realmling, got you all added. Welcome!

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

giorgio_2004 ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 3:29 AM

Please add me, Karen.

My gallery is very small, I am a beginner and I do not upload very often (my average time is around one image per month). But I hope there is at least a bit of graphical evolution in my pictures and I'd like to hear your opinions on my past and future works.

About GIVING critiques, I'll do my best. Obviously I am afraid I will not able to suggest technical solutions (I do not know them myself) but I promise to look at every image with sincerity and curiosity.

BTW, Karen, in the suggestion forum I had proposed two possible improvements for the site: making multiple comments on an image (effectively transforming them in a discussion thread) and the possibility of image versioning. But no one has commented about them, maybe they were no good ideas anyway!  ^_^ 

Giorgio

giorgio_2004 here, ksabers on XBox Live, PSN  and everywhere else.

Rutra ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 7:17 AM

@giorgio_2004 quote *"making multiple comments on an image"

sometimes I also want to do that and the solution is easy: I copy to clipboard the text of my old comment, delete my comment, create a new comment, paste the original text into the new comment and add/change what I like, always marked with an "edit".

giorgio_2004 ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 7:29 AM

Quote - *
*sometimes I also want to do that and the solution is easy...

Yes, it's ok, but this way it's not possible to have a real "thread" like we have here in the forum. My idea was to keep the single rating, but to allow multiple posts. 

The other idea was about "versioning". When posting an image, we could be asked if it's a new, original pic or a new version of an existing one. By default the gallery could show only the latest version, but in the image page there could be a row of thumbnails of the previous versions. This way if someone offers a critique and I modify a picture, it would be easy to follow the graphical evolution of the subject. It would be great to learn new techniques, imho.

Giorgio

giorgio_2004 here, ksabers on XBox Live, PSN  and everywhere else.

Rutra ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 7:32 AM

Yes, version control would be really a good idea! Specially with this big flow of new versions coming from the critiques, that would be really great.

DarkStarBurning ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 8:46 AM

I don't really post images anymore, but I think this is a great idea. Is there any point in my joining or should I just pop back now and then and contribute?

KarenJ ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 9:20 AM

Hey DSB :-)

It's totally up to you. There's a lot of traffic through here right now so if you're tied up with real world things you might want to just dip in as and when :-)

...and, OMG I READ UR SIG! 

"you are terrifying

DarkStarBurning ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 10:06 AM

Hey Karen :D

I don't know how you find the time to do this, what with all the floppy-disc related fiasco going on at work ;)

And don't let me catch you reading it again. :laugh:

JurgenDoe ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 7:11 PM

I'd like to join the club :)

Strength Is Life, Weakness Is Death

Bea ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 12:07 AM

One of the other things I think that would help if there were a forum is that I am worried about missing adding someone to my favourites as a member :)

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 12:11 AM

Well, if you're not sure whether you've got everyone, it won't hurt to hit the Page 1 add links again - if they're already a member you'll get a message saying such, no harm done.  Karen has been very good about leaving the joiners and leavers at the bottom "what's new" area.  It would be nice though if we could get all this done in one click, I'll see if I can puzzle out the PHP on the gallery add page and see how feasible that is.  Would be even nicer if Rendo web coders could give an answer on that.

My Freebies

Bea ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 12:16 AM

Yes I have been doing that - but I just think that there has to be a better way now that we are growing :)

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 12:50 AM · edited Wed, 04 April 2007 at 12:51 AM

I understand - I was trying to figure out a URL so that this could be done all in one click, and from there just do something like script it in VBscript to send all the URLs silently, but I can't figure out what the form on the rendo side really wants.

Karen could you please ask the web nerds (Tommy Lemon? Nicholas Williams?) whether this can be done more simply for large numbers of favorites adds, and if so, how?

My Freebies

Anniebel ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 3:16 AM

Quote - Drifterlee, do you delete your old lights before use the new one??? I made the same mistake at first too. All my lightssets looked so bright and washed out.
You must delete your lights before using new one

You can also click the single tick on the left, as this replaces the old with the new.

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

Anniebel ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 3:20 AM

Quote - One of the other things I think that would help if there were a forum is that I am worried about missing adding someone to my favourites as a member :)

I saved the original list in notepad, then check my list against the new on page 1 every couple of days to add the new people.

I would still like a forum though to discuss what has been suggested more throughly.

I am enjoying the experience so far though, am seeing stuff I wouldn't normally see, & am learning heaps.

Thanks to everyone for the comments & suggestions.

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 3:28 AM

OK Giorgio and GothicAngel, you're in :-)

PJZ, I'll send a note to Tommy and Nic to ask if it can be done. I don't know what else they have on their plate right now, though, so it might be something they'd have to "wishlist", so to speak.

Ideally, there would be some kind of group function within the site software that would facilitate this, but I think that's a long way off, if ever.

"you are terrifying

kobaltkween ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 3:43 AM

it's actually easy to keep up if new members add us with "critique group" in their comments. i've been adding people in the thread, but only as backup.  when i'm notified of another person adding me, i just follow the link to their homepage, then to their gallery, and add them to my list.

Bea ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 3:58 AM

That's what I have been doing as well :)

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 4:04 AM · edited Wed, 04 April 2007 at 4:05 AM

Karen - Note I'm not asking for any new feature, I just would like to know what URL the form wants to do a gallery add silently and without forcing the editbox to appear.  I'm 99% sure they would have designed the form to allow that but I can't figure out what parameters the page really expects.

And PS I've been learning tons and tons of things as well.  As an added benefit I skip the thumbnail and go straight to the image - I am wierd about thumbnails though.

My Freebies

lemur01 ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 9:57 AM

Sign me up please Karen... going through an 'unwell' phase at the moment but i can still browse.

Jack

kalon ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 11:40 AM

We really need a forum!!!

Can we commandeer the WIP forum or at least agree to post threads concerning issues there?

kalonart.com

Giana ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 11:57 AM

Art Theory[hide] Moderated by nobody

Stimulating and Informative discussions about art, techniques, color, perspective, composition, balance and all aspects of art, regardless of medium.

would this one that already exists be appropriate, do you think?

kalon ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 1:17 PM

If everyone's amenable. I don't want to post something and no one finds it...  :unsure:

kalonart.com

vincebagna ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 1:45 PM

Wow! I've just received a PM from the Renderosity Marketing Manager to tell me i've been voted one of this week's favorite on the Renderosity Art Charts, and that i'll be featured in this week's newsletter!

So poor i can't be proud if it! Cause it's not due to my work, but to this group ;p

My Store

mhossack ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 1:58 PM

Same thing happened to me last week. Didn't really know how to take it!!

vincebagna ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 2:05 PM

I think without this group, i would never appeared in these charts...

My Store

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 2:33 PM

DON'T QUESTION FATE!  Or chance. :lol: Don't worry about stuff like that.  Just mention it in the interview.  The whole art system here SO screwed up, maybe this will go a step forward in getting it fixed.

Otherwise just enjoy the ride, and no worries,mate!

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 2:35 PM

one "yes" vote from me on more folks using the art theory forum, for criticism of poser images or images generated thru other means.

lemur01 ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 2:43 PM

I think the crit forum (with a link to the image for critique) is the way to go. Mainly to ease communication between artist and critic. Having to work through IM is a pain in the situpon.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 3:03 PM

Maybe they could rename the existing Art Theory Forum to the Critique Forum and we could get a moderator and be off and running with our own forum.   Doesn't look like Art Theory is very active so maybe we could just hijack it.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

Anasta ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 3:48 PM

Wow... Lots of new people!

Sorry guys but I know I've been slacking on commenting which I plan on doing here right after I post this message. Believe it or not I suddenly have a life and (funny story) I actually walked through Honolulu, intoxicated and in my socks! Theres alot more behind it but oh well I won't keep babbling :P

I have to say this group is getting so huge its really hard to keep track. I 100% agree we need a forum at this rate.

Also, I'd really like to thank everyone who gave me input on my Band Poster, using the suggestions I came up with a really nice finishing image which I will be posting once I get the rest of the Band info.

Hugs everyone! I'll be running through new images here now so look for comments from me! :P

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 5:19 PM

There is a risk of using the art theory forum - regular readers/posters there may not want our traffic.  Maybe it would we wise for us to ask around a bit there before going ahead with that.  It doesn't matter to me which group we use, I just don't want to see anyone made unhappy because we clutter up their forum with unwanted stuff.

My Freebies

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 6:10 PM

I posted a message at the art theory forum, asking if it's o.k. with them. so we shall see.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 6:45 PM

Cool, thank you!

My Freebies

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 7:36 PM

We ARE dabbling in one of the essential things of art.  Critiques, both giving and receiving are part of art.

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 7:51 PM

Sure, but each of these discussion fora is a territory with its own people, culture and etiquette - no reason to invade and clash when we can just ask :)

My Freebies

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 7:55 PM

>   <<     @__@  Did I suggest invasion when diplomacy is always an oppourtunity to bridge gulfs? 

Who do I look like?  George W. Bush?

:lol:

Bea ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 8:23 PM

I think we may need a moderator - I could see some tempers flaring.

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 8:30 PM

Only if humor is in short supply.  I have an over-abundance of humor.  I couldn't resist!  Someone metioned invasions!  Promises were made!  The check is in the mail!  I didn't know the gun was loaded!  I didn't know there were nuns in bedroom!  Kato, you fool--Not now!

What was the point?

ROFL :lol:

rik10463 ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 8:44 PM

ok.. i think i'd like to join. i deleted my gallery a few weeks back, so right now there's only one image that i had replaced. i was going to put the whole gallery back and then found out that i could only post one a day unless i became a premium member. i will post more soon. but testing the waters a bit before i go through the trouble. i am always open to critisism (which i usually state in every post) no matter how harsh. thanks karen... looking forward to this. R

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 8:45 PM

Maybe Karen will be interested in continuing to lead the effort there?

My Freebies

kalon ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 8:59 PM

I confess when I posted the need, I had hopes that Karen would jump in...  :sneaky:

kalonart.com

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 9:00 PM

I'd like to give a HUUUGE thank you to everyone that took the time to post a comment on my original Ranger of the North image. Without your feedback I never would have re-visited this image, and as a result would certainly not have the image I am now very proud of.

Before:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1413456

After:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1413775

The same goes for my Ogre morph for Apollo. It was your invaluable trouble-shooting that pushed me past the finish line, and helped me release my very first Poser freebie! (available here in Free Stuff).

Before:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1409832

After:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1412657

And before anyone makes the suggestion, I'm not purposely trying to direct traffic to my gallery. I just would like to illustrate how successful the Critique group has been (for me at least). The 'number' of comments I recieve doesn't interest me - The 'quality' does.

Again, thank you all!

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 10:45 PM

Don't worry too much about that, likely everyone here in the thread had already seen it anyhow and shouldn't be counted as unique hits in the count (I don't know for certain how it works under the hood though)

My Freebies

kenernest63 ( ) posted Thu, 05 April 2007 at 6:08 AM

Constructive criticism is how we learn and expand our abilities. I appreciate every word I get.

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 05 April 2007 at 8:24 AM

Ken does that mean you want to join this effort?  :)

My Freebies

Kimberly.3D ( ) posted Thu, 05 April 2007 at 8:25 AM

Attached Link: Kimberly.3D

I always leave true feedback at the expense of having people get mad at me.  I am not rude just matter of fact.  I always wish for true feedback.  It is nice to have people really tell you things that can improve your talent.  

Often there are newbies who don't have a clue about texturing and posing properly.  

I really find that also looking and commenting on others art makes me look at my own with the same integrity.  Often after discovering a flaw in someone else's art I go back to mine and look to see if I can see anything similar.  So it really helps me out too.  

When I see someone who has a great talent, it inspires me to look at their art to see if there is anything I can do to improve and specialize in my own art.

I would love to join!

Kimberly.3D

Kimberly.3D
http://www.kimberly3d.com/index.htm

kenernest63 ( ) posted Thu, 05 April 2007 at 9:11 AM

Yes, pjz99, I would like to join.

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 05 April 2007 at 9:58 AM

Cool, I think Tiari and Ladona and some others will really enjoy critiquing your gallery, you have a lot in common :)

My Freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.