Tue, Oct 1, 1:42 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 7:03 pm)

Subject: OT- You gotta LOVE Microsoft

Darboshanski ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 8:04 AM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 1:39 PM

SEATTLE(AP) Microsoft Corp. released an emergency security patch Tuesday to plug a hole in several versions of Windows _ including Vista, which the software maker has touted as its most secure operating system ever.

Microsoft was so worried about the hole _ which allowed hackers to break into personal computers and install malicious software _ that it pushed out the critical security fix a week ahead of a regularly scheduled update.

The Redmond-based software company told customers last Thursday about a vulnerability in ".ani" files, which are used to change the cursor into an hourglass while a program works, or into a dancing animal or other animation on specially designed Web sites. Security experts said the hole was actively being exploited by hackers to install keystroke-logging programs.

Ken Dunham, director of the rapid response team at iDefense, the research division of VeriSign Inc., said a group of Chinese hackers was using the security hole to steal and sell log-ins to the popular "World of Warcraft" multiplayer computer game.

Microsoft said it has known about the vulnerability since December.

Users surfing the Web were the first targets, security experts said.

The Microsoft patch "will be a significant milestone in this attack," Dunham said. However, as businesses take time to test and implement the patch, and consumers delay downloading it, hackers will still be at work.

Customers whose Windows computers aren't set to automatically install critical patches can download the security update, MS07-017, from Microsoft's Web site.

My Facebook Page

DarkEdge ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 8:44 AM

Quote - Users surfing the Web were the first targets, security experts said.

That should limit the damage to only a few million.

Comitted to excellence through art.

anxcon ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 9:55 AM

Quote - a group of Chinese hackers was using the security hole to steal and sell log-ins to the popular "World of Warcraft" multiplayer computer game.

HA

still aint gettin vista =P
xp works, why change? :)

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 10:07 AM

Check out this thread about that "update" {cough - cough}

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2692354

Just another reason to stay with XP!

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

modus0 ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 1:13 PM

Quote - Microsoft said it has known about the vulnerability since December.

I'm sure glad they jumped right on that one. How long does it normally take to develop a patch for something like that?

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

Khai ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 1:29 PM

depending on how deep the code problem is, how many librarys are affected etc, anywhere from 5 minutes to 18 months....

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 4:01 PM

Yup, Im still not getting scared into getting Vista..XP works..and if it aint broke, dont fix it 😉

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

ian_colette ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 5:09 PM

I downloaded the update last night (I have XP Home), and since then every time I start up I get a message about "user32.dll" having been moved because it conflicted with something Windows had loaded (presumably the update).  Anyone know what this is, since I haven't found anything that isn't working.

nikitagia ( ) posted Thu, 05 April 2007 at 1:36 AM

Quote - I downloaded the update last night (I have XP Home), and since then every time I start up I get a message about "user32.dll" having been moved because it conflicted with something Windows had loaded (presumably the update).  Anyone know what this is, since I haven't found anything that isn't working.

My dad got this type of error today, too. If your error mentioned something about RTHDCPL.EXE or HHCTRL.OCX,  there is a hotfix on microsofts website. heres the link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448/en-us

Hope this helps. ^_^ 
Nikitagia

ian_colette ( ) posted Thu, 05 April 2007 at 5:01 PM

Thanks, that fixed it :)

nikitagia ( ) posted Thu, 05 April 2007 at 6:17 PM

Glad I could help. ^_^

DAD ( ) posted Thu, 05 April 2007 at 7:04 PM

Quote - > Quote - Users surfing the Web were the first targets, security experts said.

That should limit the damage to only a few million.

What? Damage from the hackers or damage from the patch? 

I'll stick with XPPro.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Thu, 05 April 2007 at 7:43 PM

We have a firewall on our router and on each of the computers as well.  My son is running Vista and he loves it but doesn't do any of the things I do so I'm staying with my XP Pro until I don't have a choice any more.   It was the same when I had my 98SE ... I didn't change until I had to buy a new computer.  Since then I've learned how to build my own and I have my legitimate copy of XP Pro on disk so I can keep it until it's no longer supported by MS.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 06 April 2007 at 8:04 AM
Site Admin

Can I make a request? Someone build an operating system that will run all the software windows does, doesn't have the security issues that windows does, looks similar enough to windows that people who don't like change will be willing to use it and costs less than $100.00 so we can afford to get it. Oh and it can't break down, crash or lock up every few hours.  I'm sure you'll find plenty of people here who'd help with making cool graphics for it.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Fri, 06 April 2007 at 3:56 PM

Thats what we should do! :thumbupboth: {really, its a good idea actually} and with alot of people working on it, it could actually happen

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

infinity10 ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2007 at 9:56 AM

That so-called security upgrade caused two of my computers to die the week before.  I have two VAIOs and both crashed out.  Sony tech support advised I should reset both computers and not download any upgrades for one or two weeks until the whole thing is sorted.  Amazing.

Eternal Hobbyist

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.