Sun, Oct 6, 10:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Question for members of the Critique Group.

Greywolf Starkiller ( ) posted Sun, 08 April 2007 at 12:38 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 5:19 PM

Heh, I'm trying something I have never done before, and now that I'm trying to do a head & 
shoulders portrait of one of my Shadow Hounds, I have more respect for portrait creators.
The lighting is different and MUCH harder to get right than that of a full blown action scene.

I need a bit of help to get started, especially as the character in question is rather unusual.
Her skin is VERY pale, almost white. What kind of lighting does one use to show skin like
that best? Pinups and portraiture are not my prefered styles, though I do have a few pinups
in my gallery, including one of the character I'm trying the portrait for. Has anyone any
suggestions on just how to get started?

Greywolf

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sun, 08 April 2007 at 1:53 PM

I would start with a pale blue spotlight as that will not change the color of the figure but will not cause a glare, either.  

Portraits are difficult to light but using at least one spotlight will get you going.  Once you have the lights right, don't forget to save them so that you'll have them again when you need them.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

Greywolf Starkiller ( ) posted Sun, 08 April 2007 at 3:00 PM

Thank you, Victoria_Lee. I just learned something else In a tut on DAZ. Subsurface 
scattering has an amazing effect on skin textures. It was one feature I never tried, and
it was most impressive. Pale blue hmmm. That'll give me a starting point. I always got
the lighting wrong on her, in every scene I did with her, her skin looks dead white. I want to
do her justice, and already got some impressive result with the SS scattering. Now we'll
see what proper lighting can do. :)

Greywolf

tekmonk ( ) posted Sun, 08 April 2007 at 3:42 PM

Attached Link: http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/2652/2652_1141628811_large.jpg

Use something like this for reference (by the amazing robert chang/lunatique)

Cold light on an already cool skin is not a good idea IMO. You want to give her warmth and personality, not turn her into a vampire. Warm lights, with warm colors are the key. You can add cool blue/green lights for contrast, but keep them subtle, and use them for fills, not the primary light.

Also in general, portrait lighting is all about going for a well defined mood and fitting everything to that mood. eg ask yourself what the goal of your pic actually is. ie are you just doing a neutral 'hang on the wall' style portrait, or are you trying to capture some particular emotion or what. Your colors and lights should reflect that. Harsh shadows, strong specular/reflections, strong contrast are things to avoid. And be creative with the pose and expression. A bland smile or a direct 'staring at the viewer' pose is not necessarily the best approach.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 08 April 2007 at 3:45 PM

with a white-skinned figure, my vote would be to convert the poser render to b/w line art, using one of the various shaders/tutorials available.

deljs ( ) posted Sun, 08 April 2007 at 4:07 PM

If you want to create photoreal portraits, you must light like a photographer, not a Poser operator. Google "portrait lighting" (or similar) - lots of very good free information out there.

deljs ( ) posted Sun, 08 April 2007 at 4:14 PM

Attached Link: http://www.glamour1.com/tips/lightf.php

The lighting diagrams (pdf format) at the following link are what I use as a starting point. I combined them all into a single pdf for personal convenience.

Greywolf Starkiller ( ) posted Sun, 08 April 2007 at 8:39 PM

Thank you. I DLed the portrait light setups. My brother can likely give me a hand, as he is a
photog. :) I'll use Cami for my learning experience, because with her ultra pale skin, she is
VERY hard to light. Once I can manage to make her look good in different lighting setups, then
I should be able to do any character. (or that is the theory)   :)

Eric

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.