Sun, Oct 6, 7:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Can someone show me how to do a transparency map...?

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sun, 08 April 2007 at 4:55 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 12:19 AM

Hi all.

Could someone show/explain to me how to do a transparency map for a body part?
I want some of that body part to show and some not to show.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Comitted to excellence through art.

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 08 April 2007 at 5:08 PM

A transparancy map is ideally a grey scale image where black is transparent 100% and white is completely opaque. any grey is a partial transparency.

You can use the texture template as your guide since the mapping is the same .

Your big problem is that  the model isnt solid, so if you make part of say a thigh transparent  there will be no surface along the new edge.  

Transparency works well on clothes where the skin underneath shows through.

try something simple to start and you will see how it works .

svdl ( ) posted Sun, 08 April 2007 at 5:10 PM

Maybe there's a simpler way than a transmap. Depends on the geometry and on where you want the border between transparent and non-transparent.

Here's how it goes:

• select the body poart;
  • open the Grouping Tool;
  • make a new group (name is not important)
  • select all polygons you wish to make transparent;
  • choose "Assign Material" on the Grouping Tool and enter the name Transparent;
  • switch to the Material Room and make the material Transparent transparent. No maps needed.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sun, 08 April 2007 at 8:23 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Svdl...your suggestion is the bomb, baby. 
How would I make that always happen now?

Here is what I'm doing. I have some pants that are low cut so it's showing some Jessi belly...ooh lal la! So I want what I did to always be there when I load the pants...how would I do that?

Thanks so much for your help.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sun, 08 April 2007 at 9:34 PM

After all is said and done I think the map is the way to go. Good heads up Markschum.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 09 April 2007 at 12:33 AM

If you load an item , and redo the texture with a map , or redo the material zones , you can save it back to the library with a new name . Then its available in its new form without needing to redo it every time .

amacord ( ) posted Mon, 09 April 2007 at 1:12 AM

Quote - If you load an item , and redo the texture with a map , or redo the material zones , you can save it back to the library with a new name . Then its available in its new form without needing to redo it every time .

...which is definitely the easiest way. but isn't a new cr2 (and obj) a waste of harddrive-space? wouldn't it be better to morph the pants instead? and best to fix the geometry? especially when you want to give these pants to others (free or commercial).... ;) A.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.