Tue, Oct 22, 1:03 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 12:41 am)

Subject: How long have you been Poser-ing?

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 10:55 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 1:01 AM

I think it's about time somebody revived this old chestnut.

In the grand scheme of things I'm far from a Poser verteran, having entered the fray back in August last year with Poser 6.

How long have you been using Poser, and which version did you cut your teeth on?

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 11:06 PM

Read the date on my avitar and I started with P4. PP was the only version I never bought, upgrading to 5/6/7.

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 11:10 PM

Since July of 1999.  I bought my first computer that March.  It took me a few months to figure out what people were using to make 3d images of figures.  I finally learned about Poser just in time for Poser 4.  One of the things that made me aware of Poser was a Batgirl fan site run by good ol' Anton. 

Heckuva learning curve.  When I started, freebies were mostly for P3.  So I started asking how to create certain Poser 3 effects.  "Why would you want to do that, when Poser 4 has conforming clothing?" was the response.  Took me bloody forever to get the hang of conforming clothing.

I'm slow.

Feeling old now, too.  A long time ago.  :-P

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 11:14 PM

3 years.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 11:37 PM

September of '99 - when I bought Poser 4.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 11:38 PM

I'm still a greenhorn. I started with Poser 5 in September 2004. That's what? 2 1/2 years?

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 11:45 PM

Woah!

I'm really beginning to feel like a NOOB now!

:P

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

JVRenderer ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 11:47 PM

Since 2001. I started with Poser Propack.

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

ghelmer ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 11:51 PM

'99 for me too with P4!!!!!  Sigh...  the good ol' days!

G

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

drifterlee ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 11:57 PM

I've been seriously using it since P5 came out and Daz - damn them to hell - came out with a "you can buy our entire store for $1.99 as if you were a plantinum member and get yourself into a huge credit card debt" Daz sales folk snickered evily. Anyway, I started life as a painter with- gasp -real paints! My first digital art programs were Poser 4 (I hated it - too fake looking people) Bryce 4 and Painter 6. Now I am a slave to Poser 6 and 7. God help me! I guess two and a half years.

DCArt ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 2:03 AM · edited Wed, 18 April 2007 at 2:10 AM

file_375115.jpg

I guess I'm an old timer. Poser 1 ... can't remember the exact year, but 1994-ish rings a bell. 8-)

EDIT: Maybe more like 95-ish. I did find the Poser 2 CD and it's dated 1996. Back then updates were along the lines of one a year. Was Fractal Design back then, then to MetaCreations, who was then bought by several companies. Then the Poser team branched out on their own to form Curious Labs, who was then bought out by eFrontier. Same people all throughout the transition, only the names have changed. LOL

What a LONG history this software has seen!

Anyways ... here is the Poser 2 CD.  Poser 1 came on floppies, which I have long since lost.

Giolon ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 2:17 AM

I'm still a relative newbie.  I started w/ Poser Artist in August 2005 as I started to dip my toes in, but I wasn't content with just that and jumped for the full Poser 6 a few months later.  You can find my very first render still here in my gallery.  V3 w/ Flo Hair!

¤~Giolon~¤

¤~ RadiantCG ~¤~ My Renderosity Gallery ~¤

onnetz ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 2:52 AM

P4 .. 2002 But spent most of my time modelling with Rhino..

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

just pee on it and walk away. :-)

I wouldnt have to manage my anger

if people would manage their stupidity......

Aishai ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 3:06 AM

4 years now, started with P5 and now progressed to P7, still a newbie lalalaaa.

vilian ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 3:43 AM

Despite of what my joining date says, I started using Poser (ProPack to be precise) after my 23rd b-day - during early Autumn of 2004 that is :)

Outdated gallery over at DeviantArt

Fics at FanFiction.net and Archive of Our Own (AO3)

stormchaser ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 3:46 AM

**About 18 months for me, started with Poser 6. I still haven't learnt half the stuff in the program!
**"Poser 1 came on floppies, which I have long since lost"
Floppies, those were the days hey, LOL!

SAMS3D ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 4:02 AM

Yikes, this is scary, 1998....okay spent alot of time in front of pc....where has the time gone. I was a true beliver in Bryce and Vue, that is what pointed me to Poser...had bought Poser but really would not use it due to all the smoothing of models, thought it was a stupid program, but little by little it grabbed me.  Now it is almost the only software I use. Sharen

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 4:14 AM · edited Wed, 18 April 2007 at 4:17 AM

Quote - I How long have you been using Poser, and which version did you cut your teeth on?

Not exactly sure any more.

The late great Don Tatro got me hooked on 3D.

My first exposure was with  Poser 3.
Poser 4 hadn't been released yet.
I skipped Poser Pro
Have since gone from P4 to P5 to P6 to P7.

Cheers
DR

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 4:37 AM

Early November 2006.  Yep, I'm a noob.

My Freebies

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 5:29 AM

I think it was 2002, with Poser 4.

I joined here in Oct 2002 but I lurked for ages before making my first ever post in May 2003.

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

jonthecelt ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 5:31 AM

Well Deecy makes me feel a little better about my status. I started way back in November '97, when Poser 1(!) was given away on a Computer Arts cover CD (Issue 11, I think it was). Been using it ever since, and I've had copies of every version except for 7 (didnt' get Pro Pack either - went straight from 4 to 5). So whilst not quite as venerable as Deecey, I'm certainly feeling a little long in the tooth about now. :)

jonthecelt

wheatpenny ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 5:36 AM
Site Admin

I got Poser 4 about 2 or 3 days before the date on my avi. (iI borrowed the money for it from my then 15-year-old daughter - who is also a renderosity member under the name Posertte - yes, my kids frequently had more money than I did).

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

jenay ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 5:48 AM

I started with a free copy of Poser2 late in 2000, upgraded to Poser4 early
in 2001, now approx. 6 years ago (ooops).
I am still using Poser4 for most of my projects, did my first steps with the
free copy of Poser5 (esp. material room, mirroring and water surfaces).
and - yes - I am still refusing buying Poser6 or 7 ...
(guess I am waiting until Poser10 is released and get a free copy of Poser7 -
LOL)

byAnton ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 6:48 AM · edited Wed, 18 April 2007 at 6:49 AM

file_375126.JPG

I started with Poser2. I forget the year. I think Poser 2 had just been released.

I didn't start with the online scene till 1998. I started with Comic book interests.

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

Darboshanski ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 6:58 AM · edited Wed, 18 April 2007 at 6:59 AM

Off and on threw the years. I started with poser 2 and I'd post a few pics here and post in the forum  but I really didn't get in depth into poser until the last year or so up until now I've been mostly playing. I have more time now that I've retired from the service and I can put more time into really
understanding the program as well as using my 3D modeling program.

My Facebook Page

Francemi ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 7:01 AM

I started collecting freebies for Poser in November 2003, not being sure I'd be able to learn how to work with this 3D stuff. Then I bought Poser 5 in March 2004. I bought Poser 6 before it was released and I bought Poser 7 to get the runtime but I uninstalled it after I took what I wanted and still use Poser 6. ;o)

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

geep ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 7:23 AM · edited Wed, 18 April 2007 at 7:25 AM

file_375128.gif

(click image to view full size) [**CLICK HERE**](http://drgeep.com/AODG_Vol_01/0101/0101.htm) to read the rest of the story.

Hello to all you Poserites out there in Poserland.

Gosh, has it really been almost 12 years? :blink: ____ WOW !!!
I guess time does fly when you're having fun ...... with Poser. :biggrin:

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

P.S. You might, also, like to read about The History of Poser HERE!

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

aeilkema ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 7:57 AM

Since 1998, started with Poser 2, just before Poser 3 was released and moved to Poser 3 shortly after.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

kalon ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 8:05 AM

Don't remember the year, but I pre-ordered Poser 1 from some software catalog. 

It was not to be, however, there was a problem with the joints (but at that time no one, including Fractal Design had a clue). Spent a few weeks faxing printouts of the renders I was getting. Last call I got from their tech support was that someone else had the problem, so I was officially removed from the insane idiot customer list. I moved, lost touch, forgot... and then maybe a year and a half to two years later, picked up Poser 2.

kalonart.com

BillyGoat ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 10:12 AM

Poser 3

FarawayPictures ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 10:42 AM

Poser 3 for me too. In fact I was having a sort out on the weekend and found the back up discs for it, as well as Poser 4 Pro.

Also found my first ever 3D image with Bryce2. Man it was bad :laugh:

PORTAL

StevieG1965 ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 11:20 AM

Still a struggling noob here.  Got Poser 5 for a Christmas gift December of 2005...and I think Poser 6 hit the market, what, 3 hours after I installed P5?

Couldn't understand it to save my life when I started playing around with it and found a  beginners class at LVS online with Brit teaching it. (and a top notch, friggin' awesome teacher she is!)  Hooked from the first day of class and have been in debt since.

bantha ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 11:58 AM

I started with Poser 4 early in 2000, I think. Or was it late 1999?  Shortly after Poser 4 came out. I skipped PP and P5 and got re-ignited when Poser 6 came out. Now I am a happy Poser 7 user.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

geep ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 12:44 PM

@ BillyGoat

Hi, how ya doin'?

;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

BeyondVR ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 1:00 PM

Started in late '97, with Poser 2, so it's been almost ten years.  Had every version except PP.

Do I get a gold watch? ;)

John

AnAardvark ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 2:10 PM

June 2006, with P6.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 2:37 PM

I bought Poser when the first one came out and kept upgrading... I forget how long ago, it was before I had internet, one relationship, two jobs, three cars, photoshop 4 and I don't remember how many computers ago.
But, I never used it a whole lot because I got into different type of 3D, Landscape, Terrain and product visualizations. 
In the last year or so I started picking it up again and gtting more into characters.  I'm not sure how to count a dozen or so years of it sitting on my shelves collecting dust...

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

FlyByNight ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 3:17 PM

1999 when P4 came out, then upgraded to P6 when it arrived on the scene. Still use P4 a lot.

FlyByNight

Porthos ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 3:35 PM

2001, using Poser 4. :)

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 12.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770

PoserPro 2012 (SR1) - Units: Metres , Corel PSP X4 and PSE 9

pixelwks ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 3:48 PM

Poser 1

Still have the floppys.

EdW ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 5:44 PM · edited Wed, 18 April 2007 at 5:46 PM

I think it was spring of 1998 I got Poser 2. I was in the process of making a Microsoft agent character and Poser looked like it would help... but it didn't help much:) Poser 3 was released and I thought i was in heaven... 2 months and I don't know how many hours later, I had a Microsoft Agent character. At the time she was the first female human agent character and I was suffering from an addiction  that to this day I still haven't found a cure for:)

Ed

Neyjour ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 8:29 PM

I discovered Poser in August of 2003, purchased ProPack and two months later I posted my first pic here at R'osity.  I later upgraded to P6 and I'm now using P7.  😄

"You don't know what we can see
Why don't you tell your dreams to me
Fantasy will set you free." - Steppenwolf

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 1:30 AM

I lurked around here for a long time before getting hooked on Poser 4.  It is exactly two years this past Monday.  My first render is still here! LOL!  Time's flown, but I finally learned how to build my own conforming clothes! Yaaaaay!  Painted, drew, sculpted and wrote for years before finally getting into 3d.

I had a friend who was a computer teacher who kept talking me out of trying 3d art because he kept telling me, "It's too difficult!  You can't do it!"  He was a REAL rocket scientist, physist and a bona fide genious with a Phd and everything.

After a week of using Poser 4 and Vue 4, I told him to go to hell, and haven't looked back since! :lol:

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

leather-guy ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 2:19 AM

I read a blurb in a computer magazine about the imminent release of Poser (aka Poser 1) in the early 90's.  I recall placing monthly calls to Fractal Designs as deadline after deadline passed for over a year before the young lady who always answered the phone (Barbara? Dianne?) would finally take my pre-order. Another 8 months of calls before it was finally shipping, and I got my copy.  Played with it thru 2, 3, 4, and finally got fairly serious with P4/ProPack.  Bought P5, 6, and now 7, but still most familiar with P4/PP.
Updated to new computers at least 9 times since then, but I still have 5 or 6 versions installed even now.

smallspace ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 3:07 AM

I think I take the prize. Poser 1, early 1992 on...hell, what was the Mac version back then? Mac Classic, I think.

I'd rather stay in my lane than lay in my stain!

darth_poserus ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 7:18 AM

How long? 

Far far too long.

Wich version was the first?

Poser 3

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Free the freebies!

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 8:51 AM

Poser 3 and still a serious noob.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 10:08 AM

Almost 2 months. I got the program last year and tried for a second and became intimidated. Recently decided to give it another go.

tonymouse ( ) posted Thu, 19 April 2007 at 10:13 AM

2001 with P4, PP, then P5, P6, and soon to P7. so about six years. and it has been quite  a ride, I useto post a lot, now it is mosly print work.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 6:31 AM

I got Poser 3 on a magazine cover CD in 2000, I think it was; I registered at the old Poser Forum Online in December that year. I registered at Renderosity under my real name at about the same time (I'm logged in as both me's right now, look quickly, oh too late, you missed it!) - but I can't find my registration date. I won Poser 4 in a contest, and Poser 5 was the first version I actually paid for. Nearly put me off for life. ;)

wheatpenny ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2007 at 6:37 AM
Site Admin

Yeah, bob, I remember when you were still using P3. (at PFO I was singing_brakeman, back before I established the wheatpenny id that I now use in most places online).

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.