Sat, Sep 21, 12:42 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 12:04 pm)

Subject: Does anyone use a Toshiba Tablet Notebook?

Kendra ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 3:32 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:38 PM

I ask here because it's the most read forum and I'm really curious to know how well they work with programs like Poser and Photoshop.  I have a wacom tablet and I've wanted a tablet pc from the first time I saw them but no stores in my area carry any that I can physically try for myself to see if I like drawing right on the screen.  
I'm looking at the Toshiba Portege M-somethingorother.  Not the newest, $3000, one.  (I wish) 
Anyway, any recomendations, suggestions and experience welcome.  :)

...... Kendra

Cheers ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 5:04 PM

We have a Toshiba model at work. Firstly, it has integrated graphics so no OpenGL support within Poser and secondly the display is really dull and flat. I didn't like it for doing much...even presentations were a chore. My thought would be, why buy it for drawing with when you can't accurately see the results?...also, it just occured to me - pressure levels...there aren't enough to have any great control. Stay with your Wacom or buy a Cintiq ;0)

I would stay clear of them for graphics...well the Toshiba models I've had contact with anyway.

Cheers

Twitter: Follow @the3dscene

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

Kendra ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2007 at 5:55 PM

Thank you, that's exactly the type of information I'm after.   I was considering Toshiba because of the positive comments I'd read about the monitor brightness. 

Does anyone have a better tablet notebook suggestion?    I'm beginning to think I should just upgrade the laptop and splurge on a wireless tablet.  :)

...... Kendra

areno ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 1:26 AM

Well  I've had a Toshiba M205 for a couple of years now and must say it rocks for 2d tho I haven't installed any 3d apps on it so can't comment about how well it performs in that area. Anyway it's got  an nVidia 6200 go grahics card so don't think 3d would be much of a problem depending on the program. Screen brightness is no problem and the pressure sensitivity is not an issue for me. Not sure what Toshiba has for newer tablets but at the time I got the M205 it was the only model with a dedicated graphics card.

About the only other brand of tablet pc I've heard mention of for artists is Motion and they are a slate not convertable. You might want to check out a few Tablet specific forums such as
www.tabletpcbuzz.com/

Kendra ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 10:57 AM

Thanks for the link areno, I'll check it out. 

...... Kendra

SGT2005 ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 1:56 PM

If your planning on spending 3000.00 on a laptop I would recommened one that is graphics compatable or gaming compatable. There geared to 3d graphics more so then the regular laptops.  Stay away from Alienware because your paying for the name when you can find one just as cheap but able to do the same work load.

sgtprotex1@netscape.net

University of Pheonix Alumni 2008
AA Criminal Justice Degree
BA Criminal Justice Degree

Currently study in Parapsychology

SGT2005 ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 2:07 PM

Here is one you might like:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2986856&Sku=M975-5124&SRCCODE=&CMP=ILC-GUIDE&GSID=40615957&GSESID=xic1vj3j51k1yn2x0bmxub55&GSCID=10

Or try tiger direct, I use them frequently:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/

sgtprotex1@netscape.net

Kendra ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 6:54 PM

Ooh, thanks for that link.  I'm looking now. 
No, I'd love to spend 3K on a new one but I can't right now.  The 3K Toshiba Portege looked good but it's out of range.  

...... Kendra

SGT2005 ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2007 at 7:00 PM

No Problem. I would like to see you get the best for your money.

"We" artist don't have a endless cash flow...be nice tho :P

sgtprotex1@netscape.net

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.