Tue, Oct 22, 2:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: AN idea for Poser 5 :: please tell Curious Labs

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Wed, 16 May 2001 at 2:09 AM ยท edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:40 AM

At the moment, if a sheet of polygons is seen from the wrong side (i.e. with the corners of each face seen clockwise), it displays in the final render, but not in the quick rough render that is made automatically while posing. It would help if there was an option to give any particular material the property "always display when seen from either side". That would have been useful e.g. for the sails of a galleon model that I saw a while ago on Poser; each sail was an open sheet of polygons with loose edges all round, and the corners of each polygon displayed anticlockwise (= visible) when seen from port and clockwise (= invisible) when seen from starboard, or something like that. When I import an .OBJ file as a prop, it would be useful of Poser could give me the option to have the geometry as an objFile linked in instead of embedded, and also of it would let the user choose the name and directory for that file.

Schlabber ( ) posted Wed, 16 May 2001 at 3:48 AM

oh - if you mention this - there's another point (it has nothing to do with this but it comes suddenly in mind when speaking of some new features ...: Is it possible to mark a figure non-markable - It is so hard to pose a figure under a clothing-item (via dials) - sometimes you hit the clothes and then only the clothing will move ... Maybe it is simply possible via a checkbox to make a figure (clothing) non-markable via mouse ??

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Wed, 16 May 2001 at 4:03 AM

In the menu of models on stage, that comes up when I click below the image, we need a way to identify what belongs to what. E.g. if I have 3 divers in a scene, it is one job to select the man's BODY and rename him from "wetsuitman" to e.g. "Bert"; but my scuba diver is a tree of 8 models (man, wetsuit hood, scuba, mask, snorkel, weight belt, fin, fin) and it is another job to go through all of these marking them all one by one as Bert's. It would be useful in this menu of models if: The models in a tree of models are listed together; if a model is n steps up a tree, its name is indented n steps. And if optionally that in-tree-order menu display could include the props. Another possibility might be: As I load the scuba diver, I tell Poser to prefix e.g. "Bert_" to the names of all its component models.

Schlabber ( ) posted Wed, 16 May 2001 at 4:09 AM

yes - this would help a lot ... :o) - then it is maybe simple to add a radio-button that makes the subtree markable or not (smile)

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Wed, 16 May 2001 at 5:11 AM

As I said before, let a part which is an IK-chain goal have an actor to store its relationship with its ordinary parent, and an inkyActor to store its relationship with its IK-parent. If Poser finds that an IK-chain goal hasn't got an inkyActor, Poser should make an inkyActor for it.

Mesh_Magick ( ) posted Wed, 16 May 2001 at 6:56 AM

I think poser 5 should also allow smoothing UV controls so that everything is not oversmoothed in poser. Id also like to see clothes alter themselves to fit morphed figures. Kid clothes would be nice too. I hate the lights in poser, It would be nice to have flying cameras that you place anywhere you want like in trueSpace, as well as lights that can move around the scene with different lighting setups for them. Animating cameras will be really cool and give you characters perspective. I would like to see a better ray tracing engine too, poser 4's sucks really bad compare to other programs like trueSpace 5 lightwave and Bryce. The magnets stink, I think a better way of deforming the figures would be cool. A clothing designer would be nice too. I would like to see a drag and drop custom character designer for building homemade custom figures, the current way is a little more technical then id like it to be. Also an animation pallet that is more clear and easy to understand would be nice too. kinematic morphing muscles would also be neat to see the muscles move in the skin when the figures move

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 16 May 2001 at 8:28 AM

Have you sent these ideas to Curious Labs? Sometimes in a flurry of postings a post will get lost in the shuffle and they may never see it. Marque

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Wed, 16 May 2001 at 8:43 AM

I think poser 5 should also allow smoothing UV controls so that everything is not oversmoothed in poser. Ditto. Let the user set a maximum smoothing angle. In Bryce I usually set the maximum smoothing angle to about 80 degrees, so that right-angle edges on mechanical objects are left sharp, or even 50 degrees so that 120deg edges on big hexagonal nuts and bolts are left sharp, as in my recent picture of a diver with a Salvus rebreather set.

thip ( ) posted Wed, 16 May 2001 at 10:58 AM

Hey, all - listen to Marque. Send your comments to Curious. They actually read their e-mails, I can vouch for that, so do all of us a favor and get those comments to the people doing the coding. They might not give us all we want, but at least we've given our input to the right persons.

Roy G ( ) posted Thu, 17 May 2001 at 3:35 AM

I'll send this idea to Curious Labs, but I'd like to post it here as well. What would be nice is when saving a prop poser would scale the rendered image for the thumbnail instead of using an un-rendered one. Clothing and hair just don't look right un-rendered.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.