Sat, Sep 21, 5:58 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: Opinions sought - P7 on Win XP 64 Pro

MartinW ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 4:44 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 5:53 PM

Well they start building my monster graphics station on Monday so I thought I'd ask, does anyone have any experience of running Poser 7 under Windows XP 64 Pro? What kind of stability might I expect?

TIA - M

ArdathkSheyna ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 7:49 PM · edited Sat, 21 April 2007 at 7:50 PM

I'm currently running P7 on XP 64 Pro and (so far) it seems to run okay (other than the occasional crash-to-desktop-with-no-errors). Loads up and renders faster than Poser 6 did (also had that installed on the same machine as well). I will add that my system is a dual-core Athlon64 with about 4GB of ram installed so I can't guess what performance would be like on a slower machine. But otherwise, you really shouldn't have that much in the way of problems :)

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 9:13 PM

I have the same basic setup, and in general Poser 7 is VERY stable.  If you have 4GB or more you will be very very comfortable - Poser will only use 3GB of system memory but it's very nice compared to my old config of 1GB.  It still occasionally crashes but these appear to be fairly small bugs rather than something systemic.  Overall I'm really happy with it.

If you have multiple cores, rendering will use up to 4 cores at 100%, which is a good change - however there is not much intelligence to how the render is split up across multiple cores, basically the image is cute into 1/2 or 1/3 or 1/4 and assigned to a separate thread.  When each of those threads completes, that processor core drops to idle and the remaining render work is not re-distributed.  This is really annoying when you have some huge complex part in one corner, and 3 of your cores drop to nothing while the 1/4 of the image remaining take 18 hours to finish...

My Freebies

ugpsobta ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 12:22 AM

my p7  is in xp pro 84 and runs great!  render times are smooth with very few crashes.
i'm using 4 gigs of memory and with a little additional cooling it's smooth sailing.
good luck.

magoo ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2007 at 2:13 AM

Poser 7 running on a  Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Quad, with XPP X64. Not a single crash since I 
built this rig two weeks ago. And with 4gigs of PC2 8500 ram and 2 150gb Raptors in a Raid 0
array, P7 is FAST FAST FAST. Couldn't be happier!  8-)

shedofjoy ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2007 at 4:02 AM

i like reading this as this will all help when i do my upgrade at xmas, as im currently only using a 2.44ghz processor and only 2gigs of ram....lol....and my rigs 5yrs old bless her, but she still ticks

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

bluecity ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2007 at 7:52 AM

I've been running XP-64 since it came out; I just upgraded my rig to a Opteron 185 (dual core); I've found it's very stable, much more so then with XP Pro.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.