Tue, Oct 1, 12:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 7:03 pm)

Subject: Fashion Envy

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 2:36 AM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 12:31 PM

OK, so Poser people are in that Hollyweird world of fake youth and beauty, where no woman dares admit being over forty, and respectably middle-aged actresses frantically scramble for the illusion of youth. And I was never one of the beautiful people, even when I was young. But I just wish there were some ordinary, well-tailored, Poser clothes out there that would go with some middle-aged characters, rather than the commonplace titillation of an impending wardrobe accident. Though being over forty (and I'm not sure whether this will scare you or reassure you) doesn't mean you give up on sex.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 3:21 AM

Yep. This has been an increasing concern for many poser users. I know I've been asking about more age appropriate hair and clothing for characters.

Most "normal" and "everyday" clothing seems to be dowdy looking like jeans and sweats.  Plain everyday casual (not sports casual) clothing for older figures seems to be pretty non-existant.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

cedarwolf ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 8:11 AM

I teach college English and I sorta/kinda remember being around college during the late sixties and early seventies...and I still find myself asking some of my students "do your folks know you leave the house dressed like that?"  I'm wondering when it became appropriate to wear pyjamas to class.

Middle-age doesn't sell in a fantasy induced comatose world.  The illusion of youth does.  Sadly, we of the middle group don't see ourselves the way those who design and construct props and other Poser items see the market.  It's a cause for sadness, really.

I've always been a larger person, never been a "GQ" sort of guy, but I love good clothes properly tailored.  Perhaps someone with skills and talents will take up the gauntlet and make pretties for the rest of us.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 9:04 AM

I wish I could model. I know shaders. 

Cedarwolf - hope you don't mind a little friendly ribbing:)

The correct word is "gantlet" - look it up - it was a punishment in ancient Roman legions. The use of "gauntlet" is a common American English mistake. Just thought someone who teaches college English ought to know :)

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 9:26 AM

Straight from the dictionary:

<<
If you are not sure whether you should throw down the gantlet or the gauntlet, don’t throw in the towel. There are two words spelled gauntlet and both have gantlet as a spelling variant, so you can’t go wrong. One gauntlet comes from the Old French word gantelet, a diminutive of gant, “glove.” It originally referred to a glove worn as part of medieval armor. Since its introduction in the 15th century, the word has had both a and au spellings. To throw down the gauntlet means to offer a challenge, which in medieval times was done by throwing down a glove or gauntlet.  *   1*   The other gauntlet is a form of punishment in which the offender runs between two lines of men who beat him with sticks or other weapons, such as knotted cords. This word is an alteration of the obsolete word gantlope, which comes from the Swedish word gatlopp, a compound of gata, “lane,” and lopp, “course.” Shortly after gantlope appeared in English in the mid-17th century, the spelling gauntlet began to compete with it, in one of etymology’s many mysteries. To run the gauntlet means to undergo this form of punishment. The expression has a rich history of metaphoric uses.  *   2*   The gantlet variant of this second gauntlet has given birth to the railroad term gantlet, which is a section of track designed so that one rail of each track is inside the rails of the other to allow trains on separate tracks to pass through a very narrow space. >>

So, you're both right

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 9:50 AM
Site Admin

You Know tis is about the 4th or 5th request of "normal non-sexy" clothes I've seen recently. I know thw market is still mainly "half naked clothes for Vicky" but you would think some of the modelers would get the hint that other stuff would sell and make some of that too. Is there a request, or blatent hint forum?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

jjroland ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 11:10 AM

Maybe it is because ppl don't know specifically what you mean?  I am 31 and casual for me is jeans and T shirt.   Some nice khaki pants would be nice.  I know there is already a nice button up for v4 in the freestuff area.

Maybe in a thread regarding it some photos of "middle aged heavy" fashion would be  helpful?

I tend to think that the bras and panties must be easiest to make because that seems to be the most of it.  And M3 well he can choose between underwear and a tshirt....

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

kawecki ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 11:37 AM

With men at least is more easier, you don't need more any hair prop and the only thing you need is a belly morph.

Stupidity also evolves!

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 12:29 PM

over 40 isn't a crime, it's preferable to the alternative (I start my 2nd half-century in November..;)
I think Trekkiegrrrl has done some middle-aged characters, not sure about clothes.

And running the gantlet/gauntlet is preferrable to the other Roman punishment, decimation. (1 in 10 soldiers was put to death. Sort of a unit punishment...ouch, very ouch..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 1:03 PM

Quote:  *I am 31 and casual for me is jeans and T shirt.
*I'm forty-nine and jeans and T-shirt are still casual to me, many years ago I used to wear bluejeans dungarees and had a beard (red!) but I stopped when some people started to referring me as the "garden-gnome". But although I'm a white-collar worker I only wear suits and ties on weddings and funerals. I always have to laugh about those bank and lawyer people who make themself ridiculous with their fishbone suits and ties and coats and skirts. And I never trust a man in a black suit ( and naked women to quote  Sean Connery), It might be and undertaker or (worse!) a salesman.
 But if people insist...I would consider to make some "decent" clothes for Vicky, Michael, Miki and Apollo etc.
I agree that there are more than enough sexy lingerie, epic batlle suits, movie- and videostar outfits and priestress suits, so I'm not surpirsed people need a change. (OMG, what I'm saying!: you never can't have enough sexy lingerie!)
But serious: if someone gives me an example of what they like to have I can give it a try, otherwise I dig in some postorder catalogue to see if I can find something nice and decent.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

ockham ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 1:21 PM

Though both spellings are common for both meanings, Cedarwolf was
actually [more] correct.  He said "take up the gauntlet", not "run the
gauntlet".   Laying down the glove is one way of saying "I challenge you to
a duel", and taking up the glove means "I accept the challenge."

Since gauntlet is the better spelling for the glove, and gantlet is the
better spelling for the hazing or initiation procedure, Cedarwolf was
essentially right.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 8:18 PM

So... when I'm on a modelling roll (and not into scanty linerie stuff) should I model some clothes of the ann taylor or anne klein type?  Or victorias secret suits, jackets and blazers and...  ?  Some others?

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/collection/?cgname=OSCLOJACZZZ&cgnbr=OSCLOJACZZZ&rfnbr=2250

I seldom see any purses to go with 3D outfits. Are they not that much in demand?

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

jjroland ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 8:30 PM

A purse would be as cool of a 3D accessory as it is a real life one.  I would LOVE a purse!

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 10:06 PM

OMG you're absolutely correct, Ockham. 

I'm sorry cedarwolf :), you did indeed said "take up the ...", not "run the ...", and that would indeed be gauntlet. Doh!

I was reading that while the coffee was brewing - and had none in me, creating a state of mind that is highly unreliable. My brain saw "run" when it clearly didn't say that at all. Wierd.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

kobaltkween ( ) posted Sun, 29 April 2007 at 8:45 AM

just an fyi, clothing designs are not covered by copyright.  as such, you don't have to worry about using real clothes as reference and inspiration.

i think that this problem is the same as short male hair.  everyone has pretty much the same vague idea  of what fantasy or sf clothes kind of look like, but as far as i can tell people are deadly specific and wildly divergent about what's "normal" and "average."  it makes much more sense to say, "i'd like this outfit or something like it made," than to reference concepts that probably mean something entirely different to someone else.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Sun, 29 April 2007 at 9:42 AM

Quote - just an fyi, clothing designs are not covered by copyright.  as such, you don't have to worry about using real clothes as reference and inspiration.

i think that this problem is the same as short male hair.  everyone has pretty much the same vague idea  of what fantasy or sf clothes kind of look like, but as far as i can tell people are deadly specific and wildly divergent about what's "normal" and "average."  it makes much more sense to say, "i'd like this outfit or something like it made," than to reference concepts that probably mean something entirely different to someone else.

Precisely the case. There's a lot to be said about being specific. I mean, what do people 40ish wear? What about the 40 yr olds who dress 'young'. I wouldn't begin to know where to start if I were a modeller trying to bring this to life.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 2:43 AM

Even if ya had the cloths,I seldom if ever see any middle aged poser characters,

Possetta,Vicky,Jessie,Sydney even Maya Doll,A3.all have the same build & 99.9% of the morphs still have the same build.

Arey soul is one of the few morphs that is orginal, shes young and sexy thou, But thay stoped selling the morph beats all i have ever seen.

Faces morhs are 5 to 25 years old.

Judy's build was original but not a lot of fans.she's built older then 18.

Why would any one model cloths for Judy when they know they would make more off of Vicky.

Why would they model cloths out of JP Penny's or Sears when they know they would make more off of a hot out fit.

Say if it is not broke do not fix it.

It is a lot faster to model,map & rig skimpy cloths then a 3 peace suit also.

Every day you go out in the real world and see the every day norm,

Why would thay want to see it here.

Poser is like a spell to make you forget ya humdrum norm of ya destitute life.

RorrKonn
http://www.Atomic-3D.com

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

KarenJ ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 3:27 AM

Poserworld is pretty good for the more "everyday" clothing styles. 

I let my subscription lapse due to extreme poverty, so I'm not sure what he's got for V4, but Steve certainly made every type of clothing for V3, including several mature-type suits, casual slacks, etc.

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

vince3 ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 3:38 AM

jjroland:

you could scale one of jessies bags down a bit, make the strap transparent, then you would have a little purse. but if your character has a poser habit to feed, then they wouldn't have much money in that purse.

is that a huge marshmallow in your photo btw, and if so, do you luv your marshmallow?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.