Tue, Oct 22, 2:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Contest Announcements

Welcome to the Contest Announcements Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic, msansing Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Contest Announcements F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 18 10:10 am)

Subject: 2007 Renderosity Graphics Contest - NOW OPEN!!

LillianH ( ) posted Wed, 25 April 2007 at 11:49 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:21 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/contest/index.php?contest_id=803

**2007 Renderosity Graphics Contest**

Every two years the Renderosity Art Community invites its members to participate in the Renderosity Graphics Contest. On April 25th, it will be that time again!

As we evolve as a community and as artists, we want the Renderosity graphics to evolve with us as a creative expression of our growth and the positive changes we have made. We ask you to carefully consider a graphic design that would reflect and represent the Renderosity Art Community.

For examples of the previous graphics contest winners and entries, please check out our previous contests:

by ToxicAngel
2001 Graphics Contest
by MindVision-GDS
2003 Graphics Contest
by ICM
2005 Graphics Contest

We invite you to enter your work for your chance to win...

Prizes:

$500.00 CASH2 years of name recognition in the graphic arts industry, and a chance to have a WHOLE LOT OF FUN!

• Starts: Wednesday, April 25, 2007
  • Closes: Monday, June 4, 2007.
  • Entries MUST be timestamped by Monday, June 4, 2007, 12:00p.m. [Noon] (Renderosity Server Time - CST)
  • Community voting**:** June 5th -15th. (Top 25 highest voted entries will move on the the Admin voting phase.)
  • Admin voting: Monday, June 18, 2007 - Friday, June 22, 2007
  • The Winner will be announced: Monday, June 25, 2007.

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager
By serving each other, we are free.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Wed, 25 April 2007 at 1:13 PM

I say what i always say .. this is no contest ..

To me this is a getting a cheap designer...
500 bucks is a low low payement for a FULL " 6+ " sizes logo design job..
and when i recalculate to euro's its even 30% less payed

But i hope everybody who is entering it have a good time..

And im not attacking R'O  .. its just how i think about these "contests" by R'O or any other.

Greeting 
Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

LillianH ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2007 at 10:08 AM · edited Thu, 26 April 2007 at 10:12 AM

I have to admire that you are true to form BAR-CODE and always consistent on that.

I would like to mention that this is not all about the money. It's also about recognition and contribution to the community.

There will be 2+ years of name recognition that goes to the winner. The artist's name remains on the work and will get printed on t-shirts, and additional promotional items and linked in the logo history page permanently: http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?viewStory=13257

You won't get this kind of artist exposure with a traditional "for hire" job, that would provide a higher rate of pay for spec work, but typically would not allow the artist's name to appear on the work.

We think it means more to all of us if the entire community gets to vote and have a say in selecting our new look for the next 2 years. This isn't a "typical" logo design job. It's about all of us coming together to design, share, and select the creative work that a majority of us think best represents our digital artist community.

But hey, it's alright to have different perspectives ;-)

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2007 at 8:58 PM

There will be 2+ years of name recognition that goes to the winner

That is true .. only i did check and double check the site today "not counting the mesage about this contest"
All logo's i clicked to check the properties  of them dont have "made by xxxXX " on them
To look for who made them .. is a quest i cant make ...
So maybe in the beginning his or her name is shown .. now ... well i cant find it..

So when the 2 years of name recognition is to be GOOD can you name them :
http://www.renderosity.com/logo-made-by-Stacey-Granstaff.jpg  instead of
http://www.renderosity.com/logo.jpg    the way they are now ..
Just a tip to do a better job....

Chris

Chris

My Free Stuff

LillianH ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2007 at 10:12 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?viewStory=13257

Hi BAR-CODE,

I rather like your suggestion! I will do that.

Just to save anyone else the logo history hunt. They are all listed off our Milestones page, in the Logo History at the top.

But, with your suggestion we can improve the exposure even more :-)

Much appreciated,
Lillian

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 8:25 AM

Your welcome like always 😉

Chris

Chris

My Free Stuff

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 10:23 AM

Just for me to get this right:

To do this, the artist must design and supply 9 seperate and different images in differing sizes, 

Is that right???

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

LillianH ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 11:57 AM

Hi thefixer,

Yes, artists that wish to participate need to design and supply 9 different images in differing sizes.

All 9 images are to be submitted in a single entry at 72dpi, using the template format provided.

The winning artist will need to provide Renderosity with all 9 images, in the sizes listed for the 300dpi versions, in a single layered .psd file.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks,
Lillian

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 1:03 PM

TY, that's a "LOT" of work!!  :-))

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Arbelain ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 11:35 PM

**Hello!
Maybe for a professional can be easy, but 'maybe'.

Want to know a  technics questions Lillian if you dont mind:

1. Leaderboard is an horizontal banner, like Skyscrapper a vertical?

a)The image number 1 (Website Header graphic) has only to be with the Header Graphic(the image. 2). Or must be with a space for publicity?

b)One have to write there, in the Image. 1, the links (galleries, MarketStore, Free Stuff, etc.)

1. To present the work, must be all the images adhered  in the sample template(empty in white) that you provide?

2. The 9 images separately is only to send to the contest if one is the winner, suppose.

3. Only in The Website Header Graphic must be zero errors in the sizes to send the work? In the rest images, can be accepted errors of 1-3 pixels more or less?

Nothing more, Lillian, except to give you the thanx.**

Arbelain ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 11:38 PM

The second '2)' is a mistake, Lillian. Thanx, or excusse

LillianH ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 12:13 AM

Hi Arbelain,

I am happy to answer questions.

1. Yes, Leaderboard is a hortizontal banner and Skyscraper is a vertical banner.

2. a) The Header Graphic (which should include the Renderosity name, using font provided) is to display the graphic and logo only. It does not need to have space for additional publicity.

3. b) No, please do not write the name of the links that appear at the top of the website.

4. Yes, to present the work (by uploading at the bottom of the contest page), all the images must be included in the sample template (to fill in the empty white areas.)

5. Only the winner has to send us all 9 images at 300dpi (large size) version.

6. The entire contest entry should be the same size as the contest template 1008x800. It must be exactly this size in order to be approved. There may be some very minor allowances made of 1-3 pixels. However, I caution artists to please create the images in the sizes outlined in the contest to avoid any potential problems or need for rework.

I hope this helps to understand. I am happy to answer any more questions you may have.

Best wishes,
Lillian

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

Arbelain ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 2:32 AM

Hi Lillian:
Nothing else till now, 
except to give you the thanx again.
I. A

Arbelain ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 12:18 AM

**Hello Lillian:
More questions:

1. The Big Size work must be in RGB colours, suppose. Or in CMYK?

2. The Postcard Big Size was specifizied to be in 300dpi, psd. format and CMYK colour, as all the Big Images. Theres nothing about this in the nude Template is posted here today.

3. The transparent background of the Big image(Newsletter), must be the trasparent of the image one made, to not be trasparent in the jpg-72dpi image?

4. The Template, for the Big Image, must be included with the images or is not necessary?

5. TheRenderosity Font in the Big Images must be in a different layer, but the fonts one make like MatKetPlace and Newsletter can be one layer with the image?

Thanx again, Lillian
I. A**

LillianH ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 10:21 AM

Hi Arbelain,

1. Big Size work: CMYK please.
  2. ? Sorry, I don't really understand the question. All big images, CMYK please. The online submission at 72dpi in RGB.
  3. Yes, there needs to be a transparent background in the Big Image for the Newsletter. But, not necessary for the 72dpi .jpg online submission.
    4.  ? Again, I am not sure I understand the question. The Big Image does NOT get uploaded or submitted online. Only the winner will be asked to provide this file. I will contact the winner personally to ask them to provide me with the Big Image.
    5.  In the Big Images, it is best to have all the fonts on a seperate layer than the design graphics. (Including the MarketPlace and Newsletter titles).

Please let me know if you need more information about your questions 2 and 4.

Best wishes,
Lillian

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

Arbelain ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 2:23 PM

**Hello Lillian:

Yes, i knew the Big Image must be send only by the winner to you, not to post to the public view, but i didnt see specification about the CMYK, except in the Postcard place. The same as with the Font-fonts. In the requeriments is clear to be the Renderosity(R) Font to be separatelly, but not  the  fonts one make for the MarketPlace and the Newsletter, and the w.remderosity.com and Art Community. 

I make 3 Big Images with the fonts MarketPlace, Newletter and also the others, wwwrenderosity.com and Art Community in one layer with the images. I have to change them, now?

Is clear all now, also the questions 2 and 4.

Thanx again, Lillian

I A**

LillianH ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 2:44 PM

Ahhh...now I understand!

I will go ahead and try to make that more clear in the rules about the BIG Image to please be CMYK for all the images. Also, that all fonts (any lettering), to please be in separate layers.

(You only have to change it if you win ;-)

Thanks for the very good questions. Sometimes it seems clear to me, but needs more information to be clear to everyone.

Best wishes,
Lillian

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

Arbelain ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 3:00 PM

**To be clear for the amateurs, as i, you mean ;))

Well, i dont have ideas of winning, but i make this to get experience in graphics designs: formats, sizes, etc, that they demand to me. Like in this Contest. Not that i make 'free', 'all free'; amateur always, so i leave the technics in a cold place developing them very few.
Thanx to you to.

Best wishes
I A**

LillianH ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 3:54 PM

No...no... I need to be more clear, because sometimes I think I included everything...
when perhaps I did not and I need to add more information or details to help everyone ;-)

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

Arbelain ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 5:02 PM

**OK. No problem, Lillian
Thanx again

I A**

X-PaX ( ) posted Thu, 03 May 2007 at 7:08 AM

*in a single layered .psd file
*PSD is Photoshop?

Could other grafic applications like PaintShopPro participate also?

X-PaX

SiteMail

→ [ www.3dspots.de ]   |   [ www.cwhp.de ]

LillianH ( ) posted Thu, 03 May 2007 at 10:47 AM

Hi X-PaX,

I use PaintShopPro, too. It's fine to create the images in any program you like.

But, when creating the BIG Images, save the final version as a .psd.

There is the option to save the files in .psd format using PaintShop Pro. I do it all the time ;-)

Best of luck everyone. I'm getting very excited to see what kind of creative masterpieces come in!

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

designerin ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2007 at 3:33 AM

Hello,
where can i get the Font of Renderosity?

designerin ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2007 at 3:34 AM

Sorry, found it! :)

bradymac ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2007 at 1:14 PM

Hello-

How do you start a project in PaintShopPro using CMYK instead of RGB?

Thanks for the help. :)

titta ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2007 at 3:42 AM

Hi Lilian and all others too! Lillian, this time I thought I could ask my question here. :-) I have lots of questions but just now I'm interested in purposes of all images needed; where do you use the Skyscraper image? On R'Osity or on other sites? @ bradymac - usually (actually ALWAYS!) you work with RGB-images, never with CMYK. Just before sending them to printing house you change the mode to CMYK for printing (with proper adjustments). And it's not a nice thing but real working CMYK separation can be done only in PhotoShop; other programs can make the colours even more wrong than usually in changing RGB to CMYK... that's really nasty. Actually it'd be nice if the printing house would make the mode changing. Have you asked it, Lillian? I wish good luck to all of us! I hope you all have as fun as I have when struggling with these graphics. :-)

Arbelain ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2007 at 4:16 AM

**Hello Again to all:
(Thanx titta)

titta is right. The transformation to CMYK in PaintShopProX or CorelPhotoPaintX3, that i use is a disaster.
So, i make each image all first in Big, but in RGB, and every image in one layer(fonts, all) when i   resize it to the Small Sizes to be converted in JPG.
And i will try to make the Big Images the better i can in the CMYK, after posting the Small-72dpi-RGB-JPG.
I have all the big images in RGB separate, in cpt(CorelPhotoPaint) and 300dpi, to try again if looks better after posting the Small Template.

Best desires**
Arbelain

bradymac ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2007 at 1:37 PM

Thanks for the replies.

So, now my question is, how do you convert your image into CMYK after you create it in RGB?

Thanks in advance. :)

titta ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2007 at 2:13 PM

After making all possible changes, and when absolutely sure :-) the picture is finished you change the image (colour) mode from RGB to CMYK. As I said you can't do it properly in other programs than in PhotoShop - it's quite a complicated process although you don't need to do anything too hard. In PhotoShop you choose the mode in Image menu. Before that you have to check colour profiles and other stuff but I think you will get help for all of that if/when you win the contest and they ask the CMYK files from you. So don't worry too much about that yet, just enjoy designing! that's my humble advice. I hope this helped you a bit. :-)

nattarious ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2007 at 5:36 PM

Hello **Lillian!!

**I just came to say hello and to let you know that I am entering this contest :D
Got to see your avatar now.. hehe

Good luck to all

JOE

NATTARIOUS[C] IS A WELL KNOWN INTERNATIONAL CLUB DJ - PHOTOGRAPHER - GRAPHIC AND COMMERCIAL DESIGNER AND THE OWNER OF XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS & CERTIFIED LEGAL GOLD MICROSOFT PARTNER!

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® OFFICIAL WEBSITE: WWW.XOOM-ARTS.COM

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® Ultimate Web Templates Just Click It

LillianH ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2007 at 11:16 PM

Hi bradymac,
I agree with titta. First just focus on the creative process and the ideas. Create everything in RGB. Save it in RGB.

Then, once you are happy with the results, use the drop down menu to select: Image, Split Channel, Split to CMYK. Then you have to save each of the CMYK layers.

To be on the safe side, I would save both formats. If need be, we can do the actual conversion from Paintshop RGB to Photoshop CMYK.

So don't worry. We are mainly focused on concept, layout and design...you know...the fun, creative part of this ;-)

Best wishes,
Lillian

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

LillianH ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2007 at 11:18 PM

Hi nattarious,
Great to "see" you in here!

Can't wait to see what you all come up with...the anticipation is delicious :-)

Best wishes,
Lillian

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

bradymac ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 2:33 PM · edited Fri, 11 May 2007 at 2:33 PM

Hello again-

What are the pixel dimensions for the blank space on the newsletter header in the large format (4200x3333) in 300 dpi?  I know how large to make the header, but don't know the exact dimensions for the blank space.

Thanks. :)

titta ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 2:50 PM

Hi Bradymac, in PhotoShop I made first the given 125 x 20 pixels area in 72 ppi, then changed it to 300 ppi, and got an area sized 521 x 84 pixels for the Big one.. I've got one question too. Is it preferred to make MP & NL header/logo with rounded corners? And secondly; (I asked already before) about the use of the Skyscraper - is it meant to be used on R'Osity or on other sites? Thanks already! -titta

LillianH ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 3:05 PM · edited Fri, 11 May 2007 at 3:26 PM

Hi bradymac,

Another excellent question. The blank space for wording on the newsletter header should be:

521 x 84 pixels for the 300 dpi version.

Thank you for asking. I have updated the official contest page to reflect that bit of helpful information.

Thanks,
Lillian

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

LillianH ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 3:30 PM

Oops sorry for the cross post.

Hi titta,

Thanks for the help in here. Much appreciated!

The MP and NL headers may have rounded or square corners.
The Skyscraper will be an advertisement for Renderosity that will appear on other sites. (sorry, I thought I answered that one already ;-)

Thanks,
Lillian

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

titta ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 12:51 AM

Thank you Lillian! I thought I had already replied here but... sorry! You've been very kind with your words. Thanks again! 😄

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 2:09 PM

Hi

I have a couple of quick questions.

First, the background color you listed is RGB Hex code, but you say you want it done in CMYK.  Would you happen to have those settings?

Next, I normally don't use Photoshop, I use Paint Shop Pro instead, PS is just too expensive.  Can you take the image as a .pspimage file?

Do you happen to have a TTF version of the font(s) you need to be used?  I don't have adobe type manager.

I hope you can use PSPIMAGE or I will have to do the whole thing over my friends hopuse and his computer is mentally defficient.

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 2:17 PM

Okay Im confused.  You wan the sample done at 72 DPI and at the same resolution as the big imaage?  I ask because the template is no wherer near the size of the final image as you want it.

You want the winnder to send in one file with seperate layers for each of the graphics? or nine seperate files?

Quote - Hi Arbelain,

1. Big Size work: CMYK please.
  2. ? Sorry, I don't really understand the question. All big images, CMYK please. The online submission at 72dpi in RGB.
  3. Yes, there needs to be a transparent background in the Big Image for the Newsletter. But, not necessary for the 72dpi .jpg online submission.
    4.  ? Again, I am not sure I understand the question. The Big Image does NOT get uploaded or submitted online. Only the winner will be asked to provide this file. I will contact the winner personally to ask them to provide me with the Big Image.
    5.  In the Big Images, it is best to have all the fonts on a seperate layer than the design graphics. (Including the MarketPlace and Newsletter titles).

Please let me know if you need more information about your questions 2 and 4.

Best wishes,
Lillian

bradymac ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 6:19 PM

Thanks everybody for your answers to my questions so far. :)  I've got one more question now:

"Minimum 2 .psd layers, 1 containing all the fonts (and any lettering) and at least 1 for the images."

So, if you are the winner, you will submit 1 file with many layers, correct?  I'm working with Photoshop, so I can put in as many layers as you want.  Should I create a seperate layer for each banner, and then a seperate layer of any lettering on each banner?  That way, you could easily work with all the files quickly and seperately.

Thanks for the help. :)
-Brady Mac

bradymac ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 6:48 PM

LOL...I should have thought about my question before I asked it.  I guess I like to be organized or something. :)

Silly_Sue_1 ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2007 at 2:52 AM

May I ask what the Renderosity font is?  I downloaded the file on the contest page, but it doesn't give me the actual name of the font of the font to be added into my font library.
I was also wondering if when working in Paint Shop Pro and you have worked all of the images up in RGB and then you convert them to CMYK by going to color on the top menu bar.....doing the CMYK color split first and then the CMYK color combine if this makes the blue color wrong? It looks pretty close to me when I am on the web site.  The original blue color #485F73 looks rather drab in RGB. 
Thanks in advance for any answers!
Silly_Sue

gampas ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2007 at 1:45 PM

Does the website link (www.renderosity.com) must be included in the pictures???.

Thank you very much in advance.

ROBERTO

gampas ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2007 at 7:30 PM

Me again... Renderosity Logo can be placed in a different position and size in the other images?? (I mean...other than "New Optional renderosity Website Header graphic" )???

LillianH ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2007 at 8:35 PM · edited Tue, 22 May 2007 at 8:36 PM

Hi sparrownightmare - In the event a CMYK, or .psd file is not available, we can accept a .psp image. You have to enlarge the template from 72 dpi to 300dpi.

You want the winner to send in one file with seperate layers for each of the graphics? or nine seperate files? We prefer a single file with a seperate layer for each of the graphics. However, if there are technical issues prohibiting the delivery of the files in this manner we can accept them in seperate files.

Hi bradymac - Should I create a seperate layer for each banner, and then a seperate layer of any lettering on each banner?  That would be completely awesome! I would love to have it organized that way. (Just didn't want to press our luck, as not many people are that organized ;-)

Hi Silly_Sue_1 - The Renderosity Logo is customized, based on the Phenix American. Agreed, the blue does look drab in RGB. Yes, there can be CMYK color conversion issues going from .psp RGB to .psd CMYK. However, again, if necessary, we will work with the winner to make sure we have all the colors converted properly.

Hi gampas - No, the www.renderosity.com does not need to be included in the images. Yes, it most certainly can be located in a different position and any size.

Thanks for coming to get me gampas. Sorry, my ebots apparently taking a vacation!

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

gampas ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2007 at 8:41 PM

THX 4 UR ANSWERS !!

gampas ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 7:45 PM

Would be "consolation" prizes to second and third places??

bradymac ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 8:06 PM

Thanks everyone for your help and answers. :)

nickcharles ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2007 at 1:45 AM

Quote - Would be "consolation" prizes to second and third places??

Sorry gampas, but per the contest rules there is only one winner.

Good luck to all!

Nick C. Sorbin
Staff Writer
Renderosity Magazine
......................................................................................................
"For every breath, for every day of living, this is my Thanksgiving."
-Don Henley

gampas ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2007 at 8:06 AM

THX for the answer !!  and Its OK.... It was only a question.

gampas ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2007 at 2:24 PM

10 days and only 19..I hope at least 25

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.