Tue, Oct 22, 12:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Computer & Colour Management For Photography

nattarious ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2007 at 9:48 AM · edited Mon, 26 August 2024 at 1:17 AM

Color Management

Calibration Instructions

Calibrating your monitor to Full Color is not required; unless you choose to do you own "color correcting." I recommend you have advanced understanding of color and computer calibration if you wish to color correct your images. You should have an understanding of how to use Monitor Calibration Software.

Calibrating Your Monitor to Full Color

1. Install Monitor Calibration Software. I recommend Monaco Optix XR Pro
  2. ; when purchasing Monitor Calibration Software, make sure the software allows you to edit the monitor profile the software creates, so that you can tweak your screen to match Full Color.
  3. Follow the instructions to calibrate your monitor using the calibration software and puck. Following this step, you will still need to tweak the monitor profile to match Full Color.
  4. Adjust Photoshop setting as shown here by going to Edit/Color Settings. Note: You can use any color space, but SRGB or Colormatch is very recommended.
  5. Order an 8x10 print of a properly exposed file through Mystic Colour Lab, or Tri Colour Image, checking the Do Not Color Correct box, and type "Calibration Test Print" in the comments field. This will be your control print.
  6. When you receive the control print from your print provider, place it in the photographic view box (see #3, Before Getting Started). Do not use florescent or available light.
  7. Open the file in Photoshop 5.0 or later (only after Step 3 has been completed).
  8. Go to Image/Mode/Assign Profile. Change to working space to what your camera is using or the color space you will be assigning to all of your images to be sent to Full Color. I recommends SRGB or Colormatch.
  9. Using your control print as a guide, make any necessary adjustments to your monitor profile using your Monitor Calibration Software, and test again if necessary.
  10. Check work coming back from Online Printing Stores to your monitor on a regular basis. Tweak your monitor profile using your Monitor Calibration Software as needed for best results.
  11. If you wish to use my personal output profile for viewing you may download it below. It is not necessary to have XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS output profile to calibrate to us.

Click Here For Full Nattarious Colours Output Profile

Before Getting Started
When color correcting digital files to send to the lab, a neutral workspace is best. Listed below are several tips on creating a neutral environment.

1. Lighting in your computer room should be consistent; avoid bright lighting and make sure no sunlight is coming in from the windows. Make sure there is no glare on the monitor.
  2. Avoid using colored wallpapers or screen savers on your monitor; the monitor background should be set to gray or a grayscale image.
  3. Use a photographic view box to view the control print. The light source to view the control print should match your monitor brightness.
  4. Room surroundings should be neutral.
  5. When working, it is best to avoid wearing bright clothing, as it will reflect in the monitor and change color perception.

Please feel free to use my enhanced FULLColor profile attached profile.. "Non Commercial Use Only"

Thank you and regards,

JOE

NATTARIOUS[C] IS A WELL KNOWN INTERNATIONAL CLUB DJ - PHOTOGRAPHER - GRAPHIC AND COMMERCIAL DESIGNER AND THE OWNER OF XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS & CERTIFIED LEGAL GOLD MICROSOFT PARTNER!

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® OFFICIAL WEBSITE: WWW.XOOM-ARTS.COM

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® Ultimate Web Templates Just Click It

Onslow ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2007 at 11:57 AM · edited Mon, 07 May 2007 at 12:06 PM

Thanks for posting your tutorial Joe

I have not used that particular monitor calibration device.  
I notice that you set rendering intent to Perceptual and this may be a better setting for many photographers who do not have the time or inclination to correct out of gamut colours by hand during processing.  My preference would be to always use Black Point Compensation and I use output profiles specifically for the printer/papers I use.

Viewing conditions for your computer monitor and prints is an important part of any colour management process.

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

danob ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2007 at 2:32 PM

Thanks again Joe together with Richards article we are being spoilt here on this important topic... I  am sure these are going to be very helpful...  The light can be variable at different times of the day, it can be an artform in itself to get things spot on... Thanks again for your help..

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

nattarious ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2007 at 3:09 PM

No need to thank us Dan :) We all are here to help and to share with each other, aint that right! :)
You are welcome, and more tutorials are coming in the way to be posted in the tutorial section..

I will be free very soon my friend :)

JOE

NATTARIOUS[C] IS A WELL KNOWN INTERNATIONAL CLUB DJ - PHOTOGRAPHER - GRAPHIC AND COMMERCIAL DESIGNER AND THE OWNER OF XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS & CERTIFIED LEGAL GOLD MICROSOFT PARTNER!

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® OFFICIAL WEBSITE: WWW.XOOM-ARTS.COM

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® Ultimate Web Templates Just Click It

Sans2012 ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 4:06 AM

Great Job Joe:)

I never intended to make art.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.