Tue, Oct 22, 12:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Monitor Choice for Amateur. Re Threads on Color Management

TomDart ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 7:28 AM · edited Sat, 10 August 2024 at 8:42 AM

I thank Richard and Joe for the Color Tuts.  Now, the question is for an amateur like myself with a decent but old CRT monitor, how capable is the monitor of doing what I need in accurate color rendition?

Suppose I could spend a max of $500 US for a new monitor.   Searching what is available can be mind boggling!   Can anyone recommend the basic stuff to consider in a new monitor, such as contrast ratio, etc?   Are any particular brands superior overall in performance to others within such a top price?

There was a thread on monitors a while back. I do not have a link to that.  Thanks.     TomDart.

inshaala ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 7:35 AM

i did the same and found the dell ultrasharp 20" widescreen had great reviews and i think is wirthin your budget...  i think my next screen will be a widescreen because of the increased workspace you get with it :)

I cant offer any technical help because i dont really know much about it all...

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 9:04 AM

We had a good thread on monitors recently...let me see what I can dig up... Hey, it was one you started Tom: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=2807059&ebot_calc_page#message_2807059 I did a search on Amazon and gave it some basic criteria. Take a look: http://tinyurl.com/2nou67 Hope that helps.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

Chaos911 ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 9:44 AM

Hi

i have now the new Samsung SyncMaster 226BW and i would never change it 
i never had such a good tft, i dont know huch much it cost in $ but in € it was 360€

but it was realy worth the mony :)

Onslow ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 2:50 PM · edited Tue, 08 May 2007 at 3:00 PM

My preference is for an lcd monitor with a contrast ratio of 800:1 or better. Many seemingly different makers actually all use the same panel so the choice may not be as wide as it at first appears. The problem is making comparisons because you will be hard pressed to find a store where you can make fair, accurate, comparisons anywhere. Choose a well known make from a major manufacturer and purchase from a reputable supplier, the panels with dead pixels all go somewhere ;)   
I would not go for a wide-screen monitor unless you can budget for a large one because you will find the usable working space is not as good as a 4:3 till you get to a 24",  preferable more.  
Budget for some form of hardware calibration it will be worth it. My opinion is that it is not necessary to have the best, most expensive, calibrator. The entry models do a great job for the amateur, not as accurate as the more expensive ones, but who is spot measuring your colours.    

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

nattarious ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 5:28 PM · edited Tue, 08 May 2007 at 5:31 PM

You are welcome Tom...

First, don't say that you are an amateur! You are much, much more, sigh!
Now for the monitors, if you wanna go with something real good, will do more then you expect, it can be calibrated, and more..

I would go and agree with Richard about the specs/info he provided such as contrast, or the working space...

One of the real good monitors out there these days are the SyncMaster(s).. Adrean mentioned here his new Samsung 226BW... That is a 22" widescreen, which is more then enough to a lot of artists/users.. It has a very good response... And if you waste about 30 mins of your time.. You won't need any hardware/software to calibrate it!!! It uses one of the best technologies out there by providing a 2 utilities only for SyncMasters ti calibrate your monitor! Software > Hardware = Real Profile!

For US.$500.00 you can go with either one of the following.. I tested them in person tho...

1- Samsung 22” Widescreen Monitor (226BW) 3000:1 - 2ms response time (Super Deal)

2- Samsung 19" Monitor (971P) 1500:1 - 6ms response time

3- ViewSonic 20.1” Monitor (VP2030B) 1000:1 - 8ms response time

You can find the above monitors in any circuit city Tom.. And to be honest, I would go with the first one!! I know it will make you more then happy tho!

Now if for any reason you dicided to go with ViewSonic.. Try to avoid any (VAXXXXX Series)!!!

VA = Value and it is the worst/cheapest monitors you can ever find.. Its just an advice tho.. Cause i don't want you to loose money, time or work if any..

Now @ Richard... The fist Samsung is really one of the best out there... Its 22" and not 24.. I know there is about 2" difference.. That can make about $ 300.00 price difference tho ;)

I consider 22" if the best solution for most people, unless they are real pros and making money that will cover the expensise tho..

My self i use 2 X 24" Samsung WideScreens 244T and 2 x 30" Apple Cinema HD for my Quad Pro...

And i am really happy with all of them, never complained..

Just check the reviews for the first monitor Tom and Richard... And you both also can ask Adrean about that monitor.. He was facing some troubles configuring/calibrating his screen.. Now he is using my ColouProfile, and i know he is totally happy with is..He also mentioned that all the colours has totally changed tho. Sigh!

Now best luck and hope to know soon what you came up with

JOE

NATTARIOUS[C] IS A WELL KNOWN INTERNATIONAL CLUB DJ - PHOTOGRAPHER - GRAPHIC AND COMMERCIAL DESIGNER AND THE OWNER OF XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS & CERTIFIED LEGAL GOLD MICROSOFT PARTNER!

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® OFFICIAL WEBSITE: WWW.XOOM-ARTS.COM

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® Ultimate Web Templates Just Click It

inshaala ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 6:36 PM · edited Tue, 08 May 2007 at 6:36 PM

Nice monitors there... a little out of my budget (my default dell screen is alright for the moment i suppose 😉)... although i think i need to vent some steam about the ~40% price difference between the UK and the US:

Same screen which is $350 over there but costs £250 over here!!

£250 = ~$500 for those not up on the current exchange rate

RAAAAAAAARG!! </steam vent>

ahem

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

TomDart ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 6:50 PM

Rich, even with the exchage rate, that kind of cash is not easy to come by here, either.  : )

Kort, thanks for the reminder of the first thread and that I started it...makes me think more of the response rates mentioned by Joe.   I will have to upgrade mine..yes, mine.

Joe and all, I am still shopping but you have given me fine guidelines.  To hear the honest goods and bads is just what I need to make the choice.   Getting used to a flat screen will mean more room for the cats on the old desk holdting my pc stuff.      Tom.

Onslow ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 7:37 PM · edited Tue, 08 May 2007 at 7:43 PM

I did not mention response rates as for digital image processing they don't come very high on the list. 
Higher on my list would be dot pitch and resolution which is why I mentioned the 24" widescreen. Within the budget there are monitors for less than $500 that have a dot pitch 0.255 eg the Dell 20" ultra sharp with a screen resolution of 1600x1200.  Samsung do make some excellent monitors , look at the dot pitch and resolution when choosing though is my opinion.

I like my wide screen and agree it has some advantages but at a cost which pushes it beyond the budget to get one without having to compromise too much on dot pitch and resolution.

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

TomDart ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 8:00 PM

Richard, resolution I do understand. Dot Pitch is new to me...can you fill me in on this?
Thanks,     Tom.

nattarious ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 9:21 PM · edited Tue, 08 May 2007 at 9:22 PM

Hello all again...

Hehehe.. The reason i mentioned a response time ~~~~~~~~~> Video and Games only!
And ofcourse it won't matter if it is high or low for digital image proccessing :) And that is why Apple Cinema works on 8 and 16ms...

I thought i might need to post the info, cause for that 22 Wide Samsung and the price.. It is a real super deal tho.. :)

Now Tom...

@ Dot Pitch 0.(XXX)

To make it very quick and easy to understand...

The term "dot pitch" refers to the distance between like-colored phosphors on a video monitor. The smaller the dot pitch, the finer the image can be. However, different tube designs and mask or grille shapes can alter the relationship between dot pitch and image clarity, so dot pitch alone does not determine the quality or crispness of a display.

Common dot pitch values for personal computer monitors are between 0.15 and 0.30 millimeters (mm). Higher values such as 0.35mm are usually found only on older monitors, or on larger displays intended to be seen from a distance.

How is that! :D

Thank you and regards,

JOE

NATTARIOUS[C] IS A WELL KNOWN INTERNATIONAL CLUB DJ - PHOTOGRAPHER - GRAPHIC AND COMMERCIAL DESIGNER AND THE OWNER OF XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS & CERTIFIED LEGAL GOLD MICROSOFT PARTNER!

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® OFFICIAL WEBSITE: WWW.XOOM-ARTS.COM

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® Ultimate Web Templates Just Click It

babuci ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 10:04 PM

Tom thanks for your question and guys I am so glad for all the answers...I am much wiser now on monitors, I am about to get one. We have to re -think a whole things and shop again for best price. Thanx again for all of you!

seeyus  Tunde

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.