Sun, Oct 6, 1:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Personal expirences with Canon Digital Rebel XTi?

scoleman123 ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 12:46 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 5:06 AM

So I'm getting one for graduation, and I would like to know if anyone has had any problems with them. Or if there is anything that I may need for it.

facebook.com/scoleman123

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 1:43 PM

"Or if there is anything that I may need for it" Lots of big, fast memory cards, extra batteries, and lots of expensive lenses! ;'] I think Bruce has one, as do others, I am sure that they will be able to help you. I played around with one for 5 minutes once, didn't have any problems.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

jedink ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 2:12 PM

just bought one, i'm still learning how to use it. 

I've come to realise in the last couple of days that it knows alot more about photography than I do right now, but I'm catching up.....

inshaala ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 3:05 PM

Any problems? - i dont own one but i havent heard much complaining about them except for the initial release problems there was with noise and some weird sensor thing happening - i dont think that is a problem any more.

with regards to the second question: not sure about the extra batteries - i havent needed an extra battery on my 30d... check the specs, i have ~1100 shots (non-flash) before battery change apparently... never needed to use that on a day out or even a weekend of shooting... although an extra battery for backup is always a nice security blanket (one which i am yet to have)

Basically you will get to know what you want to get after you have played around with it for a bit and realise how you shoot and what you do... for instance you might decide to shoot RAW and thus you will need a larger (and maybe faster) than normal memory card, or you will realise that the kit lens really doesnt do close up shots justice and will want to buy a macro lens...

So yeah - dont go all out and buy everything you think you might need because you may not use it... i only recently bought a monopod (not even on route for a tripod yet): from about 2 pages back in my gallery every single shot was taken hand held...

So yeah - just get the basics for now, because if you arent in a hurry to get the equipment then taking time in considering what you need pays dividends in the long run...

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 9:19 PM

I've had mine for a few months and enjoy using it..

I haven't had any problems...from the camera..I tend to do stupid stuff...

:-)

CF cards are getting pretty cheap..I bought a 4GB card....not a name brand either

Transcend..

It's worked just fine for me..

It takes a little time to learn how to use all of the features..and find everything on the menu..

I'm quite happy

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

babuci ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 9:54 PM

I have mine since last november! No problem at all...does what I want and realy does it. Very good with low light. Wise to get an extra battery but this is depend how many shot you do . The battery charges up less than 3 hrs.....super fast I say. Don't forget a good handy camera bag with room for extras....you will keep buying more lenses and filters...trust me!

seeya  Tunde

Sans2012 ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 3:16 AM

Had mine for a while now - well second gen - the first one I got had some issues. The one I currently have is fine.

Its a great camera - I dont think I could add anything you couldnt read about in reviews. I preffer the feel of the 400D with the grip - which is something Ive had on it from day one - it feels really weird to me now, if I take the grip off. I would recomend getting the grip, not only for portrait shooting functions/buttons, but because it feels so much better to handle.

At times it can blow out reds, especialy if you start out with the auto (type) modes e.g. macro, sport... Just something I have personally noticed.

Another cool excesory is the hand strap you can get from Canon - well I got mine off ebay for $25 AU. Sometimes the big strap can get in the way...

Good luck and I'm sure you would be happy if you made the jump;)

-Michael

I never intended to make art.

scoleman123 ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 9:12 AM

Well, I have the bag, extra battery, and a 2 gig memory card. 

Here is a pretty stupid question though, what does it take to shoot in the rain?

facebook.com/scoleman123

inshaala ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 10:27 AM

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

PeeWee05 ( ) posted Mon, 14 May 2007 at 8:17 AM

Quote - Well, I have the bag, extra battery, and a 2 gig memory card. 

Here is a pretty stupid question though, what does it take to shoot in the rain?

A plastic bag and a rubber band.

I've had mine for well over a year now and have never had a problem. As with all electonics it froze for the first time in over a year and all it took was me taking the battery out to reset it, NO PHOTOS WERE EFFECTED. I think it's a fantastic starter camera. With DSLRs stay away from the 'auto' modes try and use the shutter, aperture and munual modes as much as possible, this will give you the best results.

Depending where you're from Digital Photo has a £7 new user 350D manual out with some free software. It's a really good buy for beginners. Printed in the UK.

I would only trade my 350D for a 5D. It does everything you could want.

If you've got big hands you might have handling issues, and you'll want to get rid of the kit lens...

Rights Come With Responsibilities VAMP'hotography Website VAMP'hotography Blog

azy ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2007 at 5:25 PM

Buy only L glass you will never regret it, forget any other canon lenses unless they are prime lens, the cheap 50mm comes to mind. 300D, 350D, 400D I have owned them all, the big difference is the lens you use. Plus using photo shop plug-ins like PK Sharpener and noise ninja help a lot. What do the pros use, L glass that's all you need to know

Eggiwegs! I would like... to smash them!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.