Sat, Sep 21, 1:04 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Do It To It May 9th

mark.spooner ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 1:56 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 1:01 PM

file_377030.jpg

A shot of this years birthday present from my wife for you all to play with!

I look forward to seeing the results!

Kort, thanks for the reminder!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 8:18 AM

The image is a bit small to work with Mark...could you give us something a little larger? That said, I am not sure what we could do to it to improve it, you've made it quite lovely as its. Nice b-day present. :)

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

mark.spooner ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 9:28 AM · edited Wed, 09 May 2007 at 9:30 AM

file_377055.jpg

Sorry about that still not used to what I can and can't do size wise on the forum.

This should be a larger version of the same capture.

I'm not happy with this its almost there but I'm still not 100% about it.  It needs something I can't figure out (probably very simple) to bring it up to par.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 10:26 AM

file_377058.jpg

That's better, thanks. Well, there is a lot going on here. To me, the exposure was off a bit, very contrasty. I adjusted it in shadows/highlights to lighten the darks and darken the lights. I copied the layer and made a multiply layer for the top one and set it to 24% opacity. I then sharpened that layer heavily, but since it was mostly transparent the effect is not so harsh. Lastly I made a layer for the bright white highlights and softened them a little.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 10:29 AM · edited Wed, 09 May 2007 at 10:30 AM

file_377059.jpg

Perhaps you could go into the front circle where you can see the innards and saturate that a little more too. I went the other way and made this B&W and then gave it a bit of a sepia/gold tint. I should have tried to avoid the haloing (look around the watch hands) but missed it when doing the shadows/highlights the first time around.

mark.spooner ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 5:28 PM

I like both of those particularly the first you posted!  I really must start using layers more as I have very little experience with them.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 6:43 AM

file_377111.jpg

I thought I would try a sharpening technique that reduces the haloing effect Kort mentioned then adjusted the shadow and highlights since I had never tried that before.

Sharpening.
Image>Mode>Lab Color
Select the lightness channel.  Its in the box with layers and paths
Apply Unsharp Mask w/ Amount 100%, Radius 1, Threshold 4 OK this
Ctrl F twice.  applies the mask two more times
Image>Mode>RGB
Shadow/highlight  shadow 80% highight 10%.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 12:36 PM

Thanks for sharing that technique! The haloing effect was from my use of shadow/highlight though, not sharpening, and I could have avoided it if I had been more careful.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 1:29 PM

Aha!  Sorry about that, been reading too much about sharpening lately.  I guess haloing has multiple sources, maybe thats in the next book.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 1:48 PM

That's okay, sharpening can cause it too. ;']

aangus ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 3:51 AM

file_377259.jpg

Well some nice entries, I thought I'd try to jazz it up a bit more (OK so I'm compensating for my rubbish photoshop skills...but hey, its a rainy Saturday morning) and it did remind me somehow of Dali.

mark.spooner ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2007 at 6:55 AM

Daliesque and no doubt!  I like it!

Learned a few things from this thread and am glad of it, many thanks to all of you!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.