Tue, Oct 1, 9:44 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Can I lock 1 figures hand, to say another figures ankle?

G-MUNKY ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 1:37 AM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 9:41 PM

Can I lock 1 figures hand to say, another figures ankle?
so when I move one figure it will traslate to another figure.

eg, I move one figures arm and it pulls on the ankle of another?
any help would be great.
Thanks

dasquid ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 1:59 AM

not sure what you want to do. if you want to  have a characters arm move around and follow a characters leg while holding  the characters ankle   say their right hand, just go to figures and then IK and turn on the right hand IK. After that when you move the other character's leg the  hand will stay  on the ankle but may require tweaking if you move it too much.

now if you just want to be able to move 2 characters by moveing one   parent the characters hand to the other characters shin and you can mobe the  grabed character and the grabber can go along for the ride.

dphoadley ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 2:04 AM · edited Tue, 15 May 2007 at 2:06 AM
  1. Put hand on ankle.
  2. Parent the hand to the ankle,.
  3. Turn IK  ON for the arm the hand is a part of. 
  4. Possibly do a chain break at the shulder.
  5. Check manuel (if necessary) on how to parent, and what IK is.

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

G-MUNKY ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 2:11 AM

I think I get it, but when I parent to the ankle,, my first character turns all upside down and is rotated. lol

dphoadley ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 2:23 AM

Uncheck  the 'Copy Morphs'  or whatever when parenting.
DPH

G-MUNKY ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 2:25 AM

yeah, Inherit bends or something like that? I did that.

dphoadley ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 2:37 AM

If that doesn't help, click 'Body' (not Hip) and rotate figure back around.
DPH

G-MUNKY ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 2:37 AM

I also try to set parent from the properties on the peramiter dials window, and the set parent is ghosted out. I can't click it.

dphoadley ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 2:40 AM

Start from scratch, and zero each figure before posing, and see what happens.
DPH

G-MUNKY ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 2:44 AM

sorry man, Zero? what do you mean by that?

dphoadley ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 2:47 AM

Meun Bar at top:
Windows / Joint Editor / Zero Figure.
Make sure that you select a figure before trying to zero it.
DPH

G-MUNKY ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 3:01 AM

Thanks for your help man, but I'm pretty sure now that you can't set a parent for just a hand,

what I want to do is,, have a guy hanging another guy off a building by his ankles. so I want figure A to have his right hand on figure B's left ankle and vice versa for the other hand and ankle.  so when I move the arms individually, it will move the legs its attached to. ya know?

so if he shakes his arm, the shake translates to the leg. I hope ya know what I mean, lol

dphoadley ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 3:28 AM

http://www.drgeep.com/p4/cb/cb.htm
http://www.drgeep.com/p4/posing/posing.htm
http://www.drgeep.com/p4/36/36.htm
http://www.drgeep.com/p5/ik/ik.htm

Read these four tutorials by Dr. Geep, they should give you a better idea of what you need to do.
DPH

Touchwood ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 4:19 AM

The only way I have managed to do something similar is to use a primitive, I find a ball to be best scaled to about 20%. Move the ball to the ankle and parent it to the ankle. Pose the figures and then select the forearm and get it to Point At the ball. When the first figure's leg moves the forearm will follow but you will need to adjust the hand position accordingly. If you point the hand to the ball, only the hand will move and not the forearm. IK needs to be off. Keep the ball visible until you are happy with the result , then you can turn visibility off. Wish there was an easier way but this is the closest I'vee come so far.

G-MUNKY ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 4:34 AM

Lol, I tried the ball thing too, haha but the problem comes again with setting parents. you can't set two parents for one figure,, IE 1 ball per hand and ankle. I'm gonna check out the above tutorials in a bit. thanks all.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 2:21 PM

give it a try and let us know, munky. but I am trying to imagine the nightmarish figure distortions that would arise when the parent figure has feet IK on, and the child figure has hands IK on, or any permutations of the above.

svdl ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 2:41 PM

It can be done. But you have to be sure about the "master" and the "slave". 

First, make sure all inverse kinematic settings are OFF. (Figure menu->Use inverse kinematics).

If you want to animate the arm that holds the ankle, that arm will be the master, and the ankle will be the slave. But if you want to have the topmost guy kick his feet, and have the arms of the guy hanging below follow the movement of the feet, the legs/feet are the master.

You have to turn on inverse kinematics for the "slave". In your example for the leg that the hand holds on to.
Then parent the foot (end of the IK chain) to the hand.

The order is important: first enable inverse kinematics for the leg, then parent the foot to the hand. It won't work the other way around.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

G-MUNKY ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 5:08 PM

This is more of the difficult area for my poser skills, because I haven't dealt with it. but where do I set Master and Slave?

I really appreciate all of your help guys. you rock.

dasquid ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 5:11 PM

Glad someone who knows a whole lot more than me came along lol

svdl ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 5:23 PM

Actually, you don't set Master and Slave.

Let me try to describe the situation.

The hands of Figure A grab the ankles of Figure B.
You want to pose the hands/arms of Figure A, and you want the ankles/legs of B to automatically follow the movement of Figure A's hands.
That's why I call the arms of Figure A the masters, and the legs of Figure B the slaves. When a master moves, its slave must follow.

To set up the "master-slave" relation, you should do the following:

• Pose Figure A and Figure B so that Figure A grabs the ankles of Figure B. Tip: switching on inverse kinematics for the hands of Figure A allows you to precision translate them using the parameter dials. Turn off IK again when you want to twist/bend the hands. Same goes for the feet of Figure B
  • make sure Inverse Kinematics for the arms of Figure A (the masters) are turned OFF
  • make sure Inverse Kinematics for the legs of Figure B (the slaves) are turned ON
  • parent the feet of Figure B to the hands of Figure A.

Now you can move the hands/arms of Figure A and the feet/legs of Figure B will automatically follow the movement.

Hope this is somewhat clearer.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.