Wed, Oct 2, 10:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Memory Cards

BibbyBear ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 6:32 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 10:21 PM

Can anybody advise me if Flash memory cards are effected by the x-ray machines used at airports??

I'm asking because we are away on holiday from the end of June (yee ha!!) and there is no way I want to leave them in my suitcases for fear that they get lost (a high possibility in this country unfortunately!!) so will carry them in my hand luggage.

If my camera goes missing, well, that's what insurance is there for, but no amount of money will replace any pictures I've taken over the two week holiday!!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chrissy xx

"I don't suffer from insanity,
I enjoy every minute of it."
:lol:
CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

nattarious ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 6:46 PM · edited Sat, 12 May 2007 at 6:53 PM

Hey Chrissy! Long time eh! heheh.. Just to let you khow that i am still around sneaking sometimes tho! :))

Answering your question, NO!

X-ray equipment used to inspect carry-on baggage uses a very low level of x-radiation that will not cause noticeable damage to most equipments!. Please check this LINK from Kodak

The X-Ray machines in the airports as you called it, will not effects your cards, or any other type of cards.. And don't effect the films even! either empty or with taken shots!

All of my cameras and cards go through the detectors and these x-ray machines a lot tho! And i never complained.

Also if you left your equipments in the suitecases! They will still go through that monitoring systems and x-rays.

Don't worry dear, let them pass and you will be fine.. And wish you enjoying your time and holiday

Regards,

JOE

NATTARIOUS[C] IS A WELL KNOWN INTERNATIONAL CLUB DJ - PHOTOGRAPHER - GRAPHIC AND COMMERCIAL DESIGNER AND THE OWNER OF XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS & CERTIFIED LEGAL GOLD MICROSOFT PARTNER!

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® OFFICIAL WEBSITE: WWW.XOOM-ARTS.COM

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® Ultimate Web Templates Just Click It

inshaala ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 7:06 PM

if you have a laptop then take that with and backup the data on there... two copies are always better than one ;)

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

BibbyBear ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 7:16 PM

Oh that's great!!  It has been a long time Joe - I miss your valued comments - come back to me sooooooooooooooon!!!

A new laptop, hmmmmm, I wonder.............................??????

Darren has a laptop for his work, I wonder if they would let him take that with him??  It's going to cost me a fortune buying enough memory cards as it is (I think I worked out that I'm going to want at least 12 x 2gbs cards 'cos I take loads and loads and loads of pics when I'm away anyway, and that was before I got into photography, so there is no way I'm going unprepared!!!

Thanks Joe and Rich, my mind has been put at ease now.

Hugs

Chrissy xx

CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

3DGuy ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 7:22 PM · edited Sat, 12 May 2007 at 7:24 PM

If you're not going to take along a laptop you might concider an image tank. Basically it's a portable harddisk with cardreader. Takes up much less space. I have one and it's just a matter of sticking in the card and pressing a button. Here's an example: http://www.vosonic.co.uk/xsdrive2smart/
I have a very old version of this brand (i.e. much bigger). But it has served me well.

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

Sans2012 ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 7:25 PM

Good question Chrisy  -  I was curious  myself:)

Thanks for the info nattarious;)

I never intended to make art.

BibbyBear ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 7:54 PM

I like that storage device - have saved it to my favourites and Darren has said he will get me one of those for my birthday instead of buying me loads of SD cards.  He did say he could take his work's laptop, but thinking about it, it won't fit into the safe in the apartment and I wouldn't want to leave it insecure, not considering they have cleaners in each day!!  His company wouldn't be very impressed if it got lost or stolen!!

A definite must have storage device though, it will still mean I only have one copy of my photos as I will just reuse the same SD card each day after uploading, but it's going to be much more efficient storing them that way.

Thanks everyone for your help.  I can always count on you when I have a silly question that needs answering!!!

Cheers

Chrissy xx

CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

Radlafx ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 10:14 PM

Make sure you have at least TWO SD cards just incase something happens to one. I would be more worried about static and magnetic sources getting near the card/camera than (it going through) an X-ray. Try to get (good) internet access while on vacation to backup your favorite photos on the internet (so you have a backup of your backups).

Question the question. Answer the question. Question the answer...

I wish I knew what I was gonna say :oP

BibbyBear ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2007 at 3:15 AM

Yes, we discussed this last night, I will make sure I have my login details to my C Panel and upload them to my website (obviously not online!!) I'll just need to find an internet cafe or somewhere in the apartment complex to access a pc to do it - and of course make sure I have enough gb space available on my site to upload the huge amount I am bound to take!!

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips - this is the first holiday since I took photography more seriously so would be devastated if anything went wrong.

Hopefully, I'll have enough pics to upload for months afterwards LOL!!

Chrissy xx

CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

mark.spooner ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2007 at 6:51 AM · edited Sun, 13 May 2007 at 6:57 AM

If your interested in portable storage for use on holiday I can recommend the Jobo Gigaone.  40Gb of storage and 9 different card readers in a 11.5 x 7.5cm body.  

It will store about 10Gb before requiring recharging. I took mine to Sri Lanka on my honeymoon last year and returned with 20Gb of captures!  Also I use it just as my standard card reader without downloading to its hard drive when its plugged into my system.

They cost about £110 and weigh a lot less than a laptop and fit in a hotel room safe.

Enjoy your holiday.

danob ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2007 at 11:22 AM

Yes all should be safe from damage at airports and I  always get them to  hand check mine as I carry them in my pocket... The small storage devices make a lot of sense.. I have also used net Cafe to burn a few blank DVD if you dont  take a laptop..

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

Spooky-Wan ( ) posted Mon, 14 May 2007 at 5:30 PM

Quote - If you're not going to take along a laptop you might concider an image tank. Basically it's a portable harddisk with cardreader. Takes up much less space. I have one and it's just a matter of sticking in the card and pressing a button. Here's an example: http://www.vosonic.co.uk/xsdrive2smart/
I have a very old version of this brand (i.e. much bigger). But it has served me well.

I bought my Creative Zen Vision just for this purpose ... its a PMP (Personal Media Player) with a Compact Flash Slot.

jocko500 ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2007 at 6:52 PM

have fun oo

what you see is not what you know; it in your face

swift_wraith ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 6:04 AM

when are you away exactly and where do you live? just kidding, enjoy yourself and hope to see some pics when you return.

BibbyBear ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 12:00 PM

With four CCTV cameras recording 24/7 to a hardrive hidden deep in the depths of the ????? and a burglar alarm, I think it would be a futile effort anyone trying to break in.  LOL!

CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

Onslow ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 12:59 PM

With 2Gb SD cards now costing less than £10 each.  Is there a need for other storage devices?

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

BibbyBear ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 1:05 PM

We have decided to do just that - mainly because I'm concerned that if I upload everything to one storage device, if something goes wrong with that, then I lose two weeks worth of holiday shots (which believe me, WILL be into the thousands of shots!!) - and at about £100 for a decent one, it works out much cheaper to buy 5, 6 or 7 2Gb SD cards.

I believe my little boy is getting me two or three as a birthday present (he didn't like that as an idea, but I told him it was what I wanted and therefore why waste his money buying me flowers or something else??)

xx

CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

olivier158 ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 1:10 PM

hey dear chrissy !

don't forget the Apple iPod, it's a good hard disk when you are in holidays. i've got it when i was in Roma, and come back with 600 raw on it ;o)

see u !
Olivier

BibbyBear ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 1:14 PM

I don't think my son would let me use his iPod, and there isn't that much space left on it with the hundreds of songs he's downloaded to it!!

But nice idea - maybe I could buy one for myself??

xx

CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

olivier158 ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 1:16 PM

why not ;o)

iPod is 'always' a good idea lolllllll

:oD

BibbyBear ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 1:34 PM

Oh, is that the child within speaking out there LOL!!! xx

CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

olivier158 ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 1:45 PM

yep yep yep :oD

Onslow ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 2:12 PM

Attached Link: 7 day shop

A good place to get memory cards or batteries.

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

BibbyBear ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 2:35 PM

Thanks for the link but apparently...... Darren has ordered some (surprise for my birthday!!!) for 50p more than their price but includes postage too, so not a bad comparison.  But I will definitely keep it in my favourites because we usually shop for these things at Microdirect.com but he couldn't get the stock from there this time!!

Thanks again. xx

CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.