Mon, Oct 21, 11:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 3:26 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Vivtoria 4.1 won't import into Carrara 5

Gordon_S ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 6:40 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 3:24 PM

This is more of an FYI than anything else. I've found that any Poser scene which contains DAZ's V4.1 will fail to import into C5. This applies to the Native Importer and TransPoser. I've had this fail on several occasions now. So, I tried replacing V4.1 with V3 in one of the scenes which failed. Carrara now brought it right in.  This was definitely NOT a problem with V4.0.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 9:03 PM

Attached Link: Another V4.1 fix thread.

Yes, V4.1 is a pain with many apps. I think Daz is trying to get everyone to switch to DS and Buy the new Carrara 6 pro when it is released. I have no doubt that DS will be incorporated into C6 as in Bryce and a real pain for Poser users.

Try this thread for a V4.1 fix and see if that works. If nothing else, it fixes the instant P7 crash that happens when you use V4.1 with the morph tool.

Gordon_S ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 9:31 PM

I'll try that. Thanks!!
Gordon
PS. I'll buy the C6 upgrade the instant it becomes available. I've been champing at the bit for it, and now I hear that DAZ is saying it won't be out 'til the end of the year or early next year. OUCH!
They should release a patch for Poser 7 support, at least. Oh, well. 

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 10:21 PM

As far as I know, Daz said they wont be supporting P7 and blame ef. That is how I read the posts, but I could have mis-read it.

I put the blame on both companies.

Gordon_S ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 10:38 PM

MMmm....yes.... Could be a little power play. A "why should we help the competition" attitude.

hdaggers ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 9:41 AM

...except Carrara isn't the competition.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 11:10 AM

Actually it is part of the competition. Daz has taken it over. EF allegedly, won't let Daz have the P7 SDK. Daz is pushing thier Daz/Studio on everyone. 

No competition? What would you call Vue6 with P7/EF over Carrara with DS/Daz. 

A recent pole at Poserpros which is owned by Daz showed about a 58% poser user base to a 27% DS user base. So I don't think Daz will let that slip totally out of there pockets but they are not making it easy for us and neither is eF.

I use both Carrara5Pro and Vue6I both can do things the other can't. But, as a Poser user, I'm going to invest in the app the supports that the best. I don't know about anyone else, but to me, that is competition. That is how I see it and is just my opinion.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 2:51 PM

I heard it was daz that wouldn't let e-f have the carrara sdk. either way, it was a stupid decision.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 4:23 PM

Yes, the only ones that really suffer are us, the end users.

I alway wonder what would have happened if Daz had bought Poser from CL, instead of developing DS.

Gordon_S ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 6:17 PM

That would have been interesting!

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 9:56 PM

Did the fix help with the import?

Gordon_S ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 10:54 PM

Unfortunately not. It will import V4.1 by herself, however. The one scene in particular that was causing me the most trouble had an M3, a V3, and a V4 character. The import failed with an "unexpected error" message. When I deleted the V4.1 character and replaced it with another V3 character (including clothes, hi-res skin, and hair) the import worked with no problems at all. I guess I'll have to write it off as another one of those mysteries that we occasionally run into!
Thanks for your suggestions!
Gordon

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 11:49 PM

Guess the Poser Gremlins strike again.

Gordon_S ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 12:21 AM

Definitely! 😄

hdaggers ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 7:31 AM

Quote - Actually it is part of the competition. Daz has taken it over. EF allegedly, won't let Daz have the P7 SDK. Daz is pushing thier Daz/Studio on everyone.

I'm sorry, maybe I have misunderstood the problem:

Victoria 4.1 a DAZ product, has issues importing into Carrara5, also a DAZ product....

I could be wrong, but from memory C5 and Transposer2 are based on Poser5 SDK. Therefore Victoria 4.1 does not conform to Poser5 SDK.

I don't see how EF or Poser7 is to blame at all...?

Gordon_S ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 8:36 AM

I think the point was that it's impossible to assign blame for this little problem. Some combination of the various things I did with several scenes prevented TransPoser from working. For some reason, replacing V4.1 with V3 corrected the problem. I think it's just a case where a combination of things can add up to a "no go" condition. 

Tashar59 ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 3:24 PM

hdaggers. The point was about V4.1 not working properly in P7 so a PZZ/PZ3 file exported from P7 to carrara may have problems. The direct import of V4.1 into Carrara is a Daz problem that will be fixed with a Carrara6 that will not have a Poser7 SDK. See where the competition plays a role here now? It was an off shoot conversation off of the original question but is  very intersting how it will play out in the end. Curious, do you use P7?

The fix I suggested may not have worked for the carrara import but it is a need fix for V4.1 to work properly in P7. I only suggested it just in case it worked. V4.1 has been giving a few apps a hard time. As I said earlier, I use Carrara for some things that Vue can't do. So I'm one of the one  that is effected with what Daz and eF do.

Gordon_S ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 5:30 PM

I did the suggested revisions, so I won't run into that particular problem. I wonder how many other little "surprises" lurk in the V4.1 Morphs++ files? We hope none, but.........
Carrara reads Poser 7 models without any more trouble than Poser 6 models. You just have to point C5 at a Poser 6 runtime to get the importer to work. As I imagine you all know. I threw that in there for anyone who wasn't aware of that yet.
I wonder if the DAZ plan is to actually try to REPLACE Poser with Carrara 6 in the marketplace? Hmmm.... Head to head competition?
Gordon

Tashar59 ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 5:46 PM

I gave up a long time ago trying to anticipate what Daz will do next. I can only have an opinion what what they have done.

hdaggers ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 7:33 AM

Quote - The direct import of V4.1 into Carrara is a Daz problem that will be fixed with a Carrara6 that will not have a Poser7 SDK.

May I ask where you are getting your information about Carrara6? I'm not trying to flame, but I did spend a good hour yesterday pricing C4D+modules (ouch!).

To answer your Q, I don't have Poser7, but occaisionally open P5 and stare at it... I just need a cloth simulator for Carrara (not clothes, just dynamic cloth with wind and collision, etc). Unless a plugin comes along (and Carrara's plugin developers have been pretty quiet in 2007), P5 might be a workable fabric plugin... so any topic concerning P --> C pitfalls is interesting to me.

holly

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 12:17 PM

Never took the question as a flame. It never hurts to find out as much as you can before you buy something.

Daz stated themselves that V4.1 will work with Carrara6. There was a lot of howlng about V4.1 not working in Carrara. There are a few threads at Daz that mention it. Try checking the Carrara forum at Daz and the Common forum had a thread too. There is a long thread about the Poser SDK. Steve first said that ef would not let them have the Poser SDK and then he had to change his answer to a "we are going to pursue in a different direction.

Daz has been talking about a cloth simulator. I think it would be a plug for DS. I think they would do better if it was a stand alone app. They would generate more sales but that is only at the, "we are talking to the company that does it,"  stage.

The P5 dynamic clothroom works well. Not quite as good or fast as the P6/7 but gets the job done. I remember pricing C4D myself before I bought Carrara5Pro. So I have a good idea at the prices. I sometimes wish I had waited and bought C4D instead of Carrara, yet, Carrara has been a good tool to work with for some things. I still use Vue6I more but Vue could not make something like my avitar which was the first thing I did with Carrara the day I bought it.

nomuse ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 8:16 PM

OT but responding to hdaggers, I use P5 (lately, P6) as a cloth engine in conjunction with a Carrara modeling workflow. Downside; gravity can not be turned off in the Poserverse, and cloth thickness (for self-collision) is not set-able. Upsides; cloth is fairly fast, and clothification preserves groups, texture domains, and UVmapping. The latter is a boon for getting a clean UV map of a draped object like a tablecloth or full skirt.

Ringo ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2007 at 11:36 AM

Hi.

Just a quick correction here. DAZ has said "Later in the year" that doesn't mean end of year nor does it mean next year. :-)
There won't be any Poser 7 support as it requires a new poser SDK and that is something that hasn't been resolve between the companies.
What DAZ has said is that C6 will have better content support as one of its features.
More information later.

Regards

Ringo
DAZ forums Carrara & Hex guru.

Quote - I'll try that. Thanks!!
Gordon
PS. I'll buy the C6 upgrade the instant it becomes available. I've been champing at the bit for it, and now I hear that DAZ is saying it won't be out 'til the end of the year or early next year. OUCH!
They should release a patch for Poser 7 support, at least. Oh, well. 

Ringo ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2007 at 11:39 AM

Hi Holly.

DAZ has mention that there is going to be a dynamic clothing plugin for Carrara 6.
Check out the DAZ forums there is more information about there.

Ringo

Quote - > Quote - The direct import of V4.1 into Carrara is a Daz problem that will be fixed with a Carrara6 that will not have a Poser7 SDK.

May I ask where you are getting your information about Carrara6? I'm not trying to flame, but I did spend a good hour yesterday pricing C4D+modules (ouch!).

To answer your Q, I don't have Poser7, but occaisionally open P5 and stare at it... I just need a cloth simulator for Carrara (not clothes, just dynamic cloth with wind and collision, etc). Unless a plugin comes along (and Carrara's plugin developers have been pretty quiet in 2007), P5 might be a workable fabric plugin... so any topic concerning P --> C pitfalls is interesting to me.

holly

Tashar59 ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2007 at 5:03 PM

"What DAZ has said is that C6 will have better content support as one of its features."

Didn't they say the same thing about Bryce? We all saw how that worked. Use DS. LOL.

I'm not going to worry about it. If Carrara works with P7 and or it's format files fine. If not, Oh well, I still have Vue6I.

kett ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2007 at 11:14 PM

Ringo,

Are you suggesting us to switch from Poser to DAZ Studio?

I also heard it was daz that wouldn't let e-f have the carrara sdk.

Are you sure what you mentioned ?

Quote -
“There won't be any Poser 7 support as it requires a new poser SDK and that is something that hasn't been resolve between the companies.
What DAZ has said is that C6 will have better content support as one of its features.
Ringo”

Quote -
“I heard it was daz that wouldn't let e-f have the carrara sdk.
Miss Nancy“

kett ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2007 at 11:51 PM

Ringo,

Is it plugin for Carrara6?

Does it mean we have to pay for the plugin ?

Quote -
“DAZ has mention that there is going to be a dynamic clothing plugin for Carrara 6.
 Ringo”

Ringo ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2007 at 10:44 AM

I would like to know were you heard about it.
The Carrara SDK is free. The Poser SDK isn't free last year  I was told by Bob Stockwell that  it was around 15K but I am not sure about the actual price.
Switch from Poser to DAZ Studio I am not suggesting that at all.
 Carrara can load and handle poser type content in what is know as Poser Native format and that is the  format that will be expanded or improved in Carrara 6. It means it won't be handle like in Bryce .:-)

Ringo

Quote - Ringo,

Are you suggesting us to switch from Poser to DAZ Studio?

I also heard it was daz that wouldn't let e-f have the carrara sdk.

Are you sure what you mentioned ?

Quote -
“There won't be any Poser 7 support as it requires a new poser SDK and that is something that hasn't been resolve between the companies.
Ringo”

Quote -
“I heard it was daz that wouldn't let e-f have the carrara sdk.
Miss Nancy“

kett ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2007 at 12:36 PM

Kaga quoted from DAZ Forum
“DAZ can not support Poser 7 because e-f does not provide Poser7 SDK “
Note: this is partial incomplete translation.

Then, NAK55 wrote e-frontier asking about the matter,

E-frontier replied as follows (partial incomplete translation)  :

“It is not clear how DAZ released such information.

We are not refusing the use of Poser7 SDK.

At this moment, we have no request from DAZ.”

This is the original written in Japanese.
“お問い合わせの件でございますが、
TransPoserを提供されておりますDAZ3D社につきましては、
私の方でも詳細を存じ上げておりませんため、
記載されておりますような情報がどのような形で掲載されたのか
不明な状態でございます。

しかしながら、確認させていただきましたところ、
弊社がPoser 7のSDKの提供を拒んでいるような状況ではなく、
現段階では特に依頼をいただいていない状態のようでございます。
そのため、今後のTransPoserの提供については未定でございますが、
TransPoserにつきましては、詳細を開発元であるDAZ3D社にご確認いただけますと幸いです。“

Hello!  Carrara        A Japanese Carrara Forum
http://carrara.eek.jp/com/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=453&forum=14

TransPoser 2とPoser 7ハンドルネーム:NAK55
2007-2-22 18:34

以前kagaさん がCARRARAのフォーラムで、
TransPoser 2とPoser 7 の内容を書いていました件

>DAZ のフォーラムで TransPoser 2は Poser 7に対応するのか?
>というスレッドでDAZからの回答があります。
>イーフロが Poser 7のSDKを提供しないので Poser 7で使える
>TransPoser は残念ながら出ない。
>でも、今なら CARRARA はお安く手に入るし、バージョン6はネイティブインポートをもっと改良しているよ。
>私達は Poser のダイナミッククロスやヘアの代替え手段を今年中に出>せるようにがんばってます。

で気になりイーフロに確認しました。

お問い合わせの件でございますが、
私の方でも詳細を存じ上げておりませんため、
不明な状態でございます。

しかしながら、確認させていただきましたところ、
TransPoserにつきましては、詳細を開発元であるDAZ3D社にご確認いただけますと幸いです。

Ringo ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2007 at 1:06 PM

I was asking about your statement that e-frontier was askng for Carrara sdk.

Quote - Kaga quoted from DAZ Forum
“DAZ can not support Poser 7 because e-f does not provide Poser7 SDK “
Note: this is partial incomplete translation.

Then, NAK55 wrote e-frontier asking about the matter,

E-frontier replied as follows (partial incomplete translation)  :

“It is not clear how DAZ released such information.

We are not refusing the use of Poser7 SDK.

At this moment, we have no request from DAZ.”

This is the original written in Japanese.
“お問い合わせの件でございますが、
私の方でも詳細を存じ上げておりませんため、
不明な状態でございます。

しかしながら、確認させていただきましたところ、
TransPoserにつきましては、詳細を開発元であるDAZ3D社にご確認いただけますと幸いです。“

Hello!  Carrara        A Japanese Carrara Forum
http://carrara.eek.jp/com/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=453&forum=14

TransPoser 2とPoser 7ハンドルネーム:NAK55
2007-2-22 18:34

以前kagaさん がCARRARAのフォーラムで、
TransPoser 2とPoser 7 の内容を書いていました件

>DAZ のフォーラムで TransPoser 2は Poser 7に対応するのか?
>というスレッドでDAZからの回答があります。
>イーフロが Poser 7のSDKを提供しないので Poser 7で使える
>TransPoser は残念ながら出ない。
>でも、今なら CARRARA はお安く手に入るし、バージョン6はネイティブインポートをもっと改良しているよ。
>私達は Poser のダイナミッククロスやヘアの代替え手段を今年中に出>せるようにがんばってます。

で気になりイーフロに確認しました。

お問い合わせの件でございますが、
私の方でも詳細を存じ上げておりませんため、
不明な状態でございます。

しかしながら、確認させていただきましたところ、
TransPoserにつきましては、詳細を開発元であるDAZ3D社にご確認いただけますと幸いです。

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 9:11 AM

Quote - I would like to know were you heard about it.
The Carrara SDK is free. The Poser SDK isn't free last year  I was told by Bob Stockwell that  it was around 15K but I am not sure about the actual price.
 Carrara can load and handle poser type content in what is know as Poser Native format and that is the  format that will be expanded or improved in Carrara 6. It means it won't be handle like in Bryce .:-)

15K!!!  Man EF is really sufffering from a case overestimated self importance.  I wish these software companies would knock it off, grow up and start behaving like adults.  They need to work together and not fight like kindergarteners in a school playground.  Hopefully DAZ will figure out some way to get poser support back in.  Maybe a conversion program which will turn them into a .car file.  That would be cool...

Ringo ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2007 at 8:26 AM

Well the SDK is needed to support Poser Dynamic clothing and Poser Dynamic hair in Transposer 2 other than that Poser Native Import works fine.

Ringo

Quote - > Quote - I would like to know were you heard about it.

15K!!!  Man EF is really sufffering from a case overestimated self importance.  I wish these software companies would knock it off, grow up and start behaving like adults.  They need to work together and not fight like kindergarteners in a school playground.  Hopefully DAZ will figure out some way to get poser support back in.  Maybe a conversion program which will turn them into a .car file.  That would be cool...

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2007 at 11:54 AM

o.k., then at least that clears it up. the carrara sdk is free, and may be available to e-f, but some poser 7 items may not work in carrara 5. has anybody asked e-f if they have requested or received a copy of the carrara sdk? I assume that one can't just download it, but that there are certain requirements or terms of use associated with the latter. perhaps e-f needs some incentive to make it easier for developers (e.g. daz) to make their apps work better with poser 7, even if said apps compete with shade. if most of the poser content is sold by other parties than e-f, then there isn't much incentive for e-f to do this, unless they see sales of their poser apps dropping, and use of competing apps (e.g. D|S) increasing.

kett ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2007 at 11:35 PM

Ringo,

What do you think about the response of E-Frontier?

Quote -
Ringo
The Poser SDK isn't free last year? I was told by Bob Stockwell that it was around 15K but I am not sure about the actual price.

Did Eovia pay 15K to have TransPoser ?

I  chose Carrara over Cinema4D because it had Transposer, and very good association with Poser.

When DAZ had Carrara, I really worried about this kind of problem.

evinrude ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2007 at 7:00 AM · edited Sun, 03 June 2007 at 7:04 AM

Returning to the original question: in terms of importing V4.1 into Carrara, in your General Preferences, do you have Use Binary Morphs unchecked when you save the Poser file?  I don't do animation, but I have imported V4.1 for still scenes without incident.

If I try to save V4.1 with binary morphs, I can't even open the Poser file later in Poser itself.

Gordon_S ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2007 at 7:32 AM

Hmmm... I'm not sure. I'll have to look. Is anything lost by saving that way?
Gordon

evinrude ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2007 at 8:05 AM

I don't think so.  If I did, I didn't miss it.

Gordon_S ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2007 at 11:41 AM · edited Sun, 03 June 2007 at 11:42 AM

Yes, I'll bet this fixes the problem. External morph targets wouldn't be something C5 was set up to look for. Probably unchecking this option stores the morphs with the scene file. 
Thanks!
Gordon

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.