Sun, Sep 22, 6:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 4:30 pm)

Subject: Need someone to make props from .avi's...

alphauser51 ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 6:18 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 6:19 PM

Attached Link: Eclipse Studios

I have a dozen or so video clips I need mapped to simple meshes and turned into props. I have both the .avi's and a 3d max file with the videos mapped to simple meshes. I cant figure out how to import video clips into poser and map to props, and I dont have the time to mess around. Ill pay someone to do it Also need other Poser related work, if interested, contact [admin@es3d.com](mailto:admin@es3d.com).

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 7:11 PM

uh..haven't we been here recently?..;) I have to admit I don't quite know what we're after...are you going to use the avis as UVMapping or textures? they don't call me Pakled for nuthin'..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

operaguy ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 7:24 PM

I'd bet 92% of this project is just understanding the assignment. I only made it 23%.

I just purchased the package of Hot Moves and Latin Dances from them and V4 takes the bvh satisfactorily, so far. I've only tried three, however.

::::: Opera :::::

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 7:55 PM

shouldn't be too difficult, as most avi files are composed of rectangular 2D images. perhaps he means to map them onto poser 1-sided squares. ISTR LD and geep have posted several msgs here on how to do that.

vince3 ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 8:19 PM

after loading your blank object into poser, go into the material room, use the picker tool over the window that is visable that has your object in, and click on your object (just makes sure that it is selected) then left-click on the icon next to "diffuse color", and select "new node", (new window pop-up) come down to "2D textures" ( new window pop-up), come down to "movie" click on that and it will attach a movie node,

now on your newly attached node, click on the word "none" next to " video source", then locate your avi and load it in. after that come out of the material room by clicking on the "pose" tab (next to material room tab)

now depending on how many frames you need, you need to make your anim as long as that, so, click on the window tab at the top of your poser screen ( if your animation pallette isnt open by default) then check "animation controls" now you have your animation pallette open.

now on your animation pallette you will see frame 1 (in box) of 30 (in box) so if you need a 300 frame animation say, then click on the 30 ( in box) and change that to 300 ( or whatever you need) 

(this is for a static prop animation by the way, if you want to animate the object aswell, you''ll have to work that bit out for yourself, or just ask how to with want you want to do type questions)

ok, so we have an object, with an avi texture attached to it , and the correct timeframe that we need, so now you want to render the movie.

first you need to adjust your render settings, so click on the "render" tab at the top of poser, then click on "render settings", now with "auto settings" selected slide the bar up to the "final" marker, then check (put little blue dot in) the "manual settings" icon, should change that window, now click on the "aquire from auto" button on that new looking window, then uncheck "texture filtering" , then click on " save settings" down the bottom.

now, (nearly there) click on the "animation" tab at the top of poser,then click on "make movie" now you have a movie settings window, click on the arrow next to the word "renderer" and select firefly from that menu, write in what resolution you want the results to be in (width, height bit( remember to uncheck "constrain aspect ratio if you have a specifis resolution in mind)) , check that your time span is right number of frames, then click make movie.

(last bit)select where you want to save that new .Avi to, and what you want to call it, save, then you will get a " video compression" pop-up, go with the microsoft video 1 compressor, and slide the "compression quality" bar up to 100% ( no compression) , then click ok,

now just wait for your .AVI to render.once finished it should auto open in windows media player, or prabally whatever you have as your default player.

all done, cup of coffee time.

alphauser51 ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 10:56 PM

Let me clarify.
I created a series of animations in 3d max, animated consoles for sci fi screens.
Scrolling type, radar sweeps, etc.
I want those to be mapped to flat simple screen shapes, and saved as props....

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 11:11 PM

yes, that's done using vince's tutorial, then saving it to props library with a new name, as screen.pp2 or similar. if the screens hafta be some shape other than rectangular, then it gets a bit more complicated, but most of these people can do that for ya.

vince3 ( ) posted Wed, 30 May 2007 at 12:16 AM · edited Wed, 30 May 2007 at 12:19 AM

also if you can find a format (.3DS,.Obj...etc) to import your consoles into poser, so that  the screen itself is a seperately selectable material zone, then you can apply the above tutorial to just the screen, leaving you able to texture the rest of the console (sides, panel, buttons..etc...) as you wish.

if you can't get it in with seperate material zones then i would do this:

in your modelling app (if you still can do this) remove the screen area, and save it as a seperate object, and save your screenless console aswell ( the console you would have to make a uv map and texture that seperately) , then bring both objects into poser, position the screen to where it is supposed to be on the console, then parent the screen to the console, now if you do the above tut, applying that tut to just the screen, you will end up with your console with a uv map texture, and a screen that is animating the .avi. 

if you want glow from that screen though then that another story (LOL) but also possible.

hope that lot helps ya.

SYNTRIFID ( ) posted Wed, 30 May 2007 at 10:36 AM

Quote -
in your modelling app (if you still can do this) remove the screen area, and save it as a seperate object, and save your screenless console aswell ( the console you would have to make a uv map and texture that seperately) , then bring both objects into poser, position the screen to where it is supposed to be on the console, then parent the screen to the console, 

To tidy it up a little further you can then export both the screen object and the console object to obj from Poser and re-import that new obj back into Poser as one single object. The material groups will still be named properly for the textures to work. May be a little extra step to take but if you had say, a half dozen or so different parts you can use that method to save them all as a single prop.

Hey! His nose is dry! ... Someone should lick it,  just in case. - Diego

alphauser51 ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2007 at 10:23 AM

Thanks for the help, I actually got it ti work. Now for another question.
How do you make the material self illuminated?,

steerpike ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2007 at 10:50 AM

Attached Link: Creating 2D Holographic Screens in Poser

> Quote - How do you make the material self illuminated?,

There's a tutorial on DAZ3D that shows you this. I think Step 5 is the hint you're after.

operaguy ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2007 at 2:18 PM

note: in adition to turning the ambiant color to white, remember to turn the ambiant value (next root down) to some value greater than zero.   
:: og ::

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2007 at 3:11 PM · edited Sat, 02 June 2007 at 3:21 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2217752

pike, thx fr the link to the tutorial. however, it's using a green light source, hence the hologram screen is not self-illuminating. simulating emission of light from a square primitive in P7 is possible, but most of the non-poser renderers may be able do it better. I assume 3ds max can make a square appear to glow or emit light, hence not clear why one would wanna use poser for this, if one has max. and yes, alpha, in answer to yer question - poser is the slowest renderer I know about, excepting maxwell render. there may be yet another way to do it (other than the attached link), but I'll hafta try it first.

alphauser51 ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2007 at 3:16 PM

Finally got it to work. I added the .avi animation to both the diffuse and ambient nodes. Set the
color on both to white, and increased the value on the ambient from 0 upwards. 
Result is self illuminated animated tv screens. Appreciate all the help.

One thing though. when rendering it takes FORVER to render each frame. I never
use Poser 6 preferring the simplicity and ease of Poser 4 Pro Pack.
Is this normal for it to take so long to render.????

operaguy ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2007 at 12:06 AM

I thought Poser rendered slow, too. A lot of people SLAM poser for this.

So I tried exporting to Carrera. By the time I was able to get my poser animation, including dynamic hair, to come up to about 90% of poser quality, the times were very similar.

So I tried POSERay/POV-Ray.  At first I was told you can't render strand hair. But digging deeper, I discovered a way to turn "lines" into polys in POV-Ray, thus allowing them to render. That turned POV-Ray into my Aunt Lydia's worst molassas oatmeal. I gave up after fussing with it for two days and turned off a render after a few hours on the hair which rendered in Poser in a few minutes.

I'm going to try Max next. My son is purchasing a seat of Max for his college course in it, I'll probably splurge for BodyStudio and see if I can render in Max.

I'd love to try truespaceWithVRay....but dynamic cloth and hair not supported.

I've also tried P4 engine in Poser 5/6/7. By the time you build back any quality, it is slower than Firefly.

I think Firefly is great and fast.

::::: Opera :::::

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.