Mon, Oct 21, 10:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: New Tutorials on Advanced Materials and Modeling

chippwalters ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2007 at 2:56 AM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 8:11 PM

I've just uploaded a couple of new free tutorials. They both deal with creating decal effects using the new Advanced Material Editor in Vue6. The first tutorial shows how to create decals using both mixed materials and simple materials. The second tutorial demonstrates how to apply decal mapping to a metablob vehicle.

Both are video tutorials and require Flash to view. You can also now download a .zip file of the tutorial to view at a later date as well.

-Chipp

www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/VueTraining/Vodcasts.htm

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2007 at 1:18 PM

Thanks for these - I tried it once on my own and gave up.  Now I will watch these and try again!

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

CobraEye ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2007 at 2:02 PM

Great tut.  Thank you.

chippwalters ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2007 at 3:19 PM

Glad you like them. A couple points which aren't mentioned in the tutorial:

1. Basically the easiest way to 'apply' a decal is to use Mixed Materials, but it only works from the top (Flat) or all sides (Automatic).

2. If you want to apply from the Front, Back, Left Side or Right Side, you'll need to use a Simple Material with layers and get the rotation angles from my website. There is also a PDF of the Mapping Notes as well.

3. The best way to accurately position and create different colored decals, all in one shot is to use a transparent PNG combined with a screen captured template-- which is detailed in the Advanced video. This is the only technique which uses both Alpha and Transparency functions. All the others use only the Alpha function.

HTH,
Chipp

FrankT ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2007 at 12:40 PM

those are amazingly useful videos Chipp - thanks a lot for them. 

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

2ni ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2007 at 4:35 PM · edited Sun, 03 June 2007 at 4:36 PM

Thanks a lot for these tutorials, very interesting, answer many questions I had !

Powertec ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2007 at 5:59 PM

Thanks!

vkirchner ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2007 at 10:27 AM

Thank you for sharing, this will make life a lot easier. :-D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.