Sat, Sep 21, 5:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: June Photography Forum Challenge

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 12:10 PM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 7:52 AM

Ok, this one should prove interesting..The theme for this month is

Nostalgia

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nostalgia

http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nostalgia
We're not really looking for "Old" photos..But, if you want to make them look old..feel free to do that as well..

What we're really looking for is an image and WHY it gives you a nostalgic feeling.

perhaps it's your old school, your old house..a car like the first one you drove, the town where you grew up...an old movie theater..

Feel free to discuss this in this thread..

Remember..THREE images per member please..

If you have any links to share...please do..

I hope this theme will "Challenge" all of us a little bit..

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

alhak ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2007 at 3:52 AM

file_379045.jpg

why...cause i was so young and full of hopes and dreams. it makes me think back on 24 years and remember all i have done, seen and accomplished

vlaaitje ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2007 at 3:55 AM

mmmmmm sounds super, I have some stuff I will post it later

Ilona Krijgsman: My Tree Of Life
----------------------------------

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2007 at 11:16 AM · edited Fri, 01 June 2007 at 11:28 AM

Attached Link: Nostaglia Magazine

file_379052.jpg

There is even a magazine for it...got a couple copies somehow. :o) Nice theme Bruce. I spent many a day as a youth in the 70s playing with my Star Wars action figures. It is hard to believe that is 30 years ago. :ohmy:

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

spiderwebb ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2007 at 8:50 PM

file_379096.jpg

once upon a time, long, long ago before DVD & VHS there was film

vlaaitje ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2007 at 9:19 AM · edited Sun, 03 June 2007 at 9:25 AM

file_379182.jpg

This is my first present I got from my boyfriend in 1973

that's 34 ago, time flies, 
and it brings old  memories each time if I see this heart!!

Me and Ger together totally in love, and me alone.

My mother took these pictures, 
I can remember it as was it yesterday.

I was 14 there, and my boyfriend 18.

We are married 24 June 1977

This month 24 June we have our wedding Anniversary

Ger and I are 30 years married

So this is my story behind this necklace......

And it brings good memories when I was young....
I had a good childhood, and the backyard was our meeting place

ILONA

Blitzz-Licht ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2007 at 3:35 PM

file_379196.jpg

Hello,

...my first Post in this Forum (-:

this old Railway-Station reminds me on my past school time because we every day passed this wonderful old Ruine-Style-Station and i had the time in the train to copy the home work from my schoolfellows hehe ......good old Time (-;

A little bit Postwork for Colors and Contrasts done in Photoshop.

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2007 at 8:48 PM

keep them comming folks ..this is some interesting material..

www.bclaytonphoto.com

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 9:55 AM

file_379258.jpg

Before TV, the radio ruled supreme.

TomDart ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 8:45 PM

Yes, this is interesting and fun...I do have some years behind me and will see what can be posted.       TomD'Art.

Margana ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2007 at 2:08 AM

Great idea! I have to see what I can do...

Marlene <")

Marlene S. Piskin Photography
My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2007 at 10:31 PM

I have to admit..I have secret motive for this months challenge...

We get to learn a little bit about our fellow photographers with this challenge..

www.bclaytonphoto.com

alhak ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2007 at 10:43 PM

ahhh that's sneaky of you!  You could have just asked us all to write a 50 word essay on ourselves with something we treasured the most apart from our family....but it's nice to see what is on here so far

Valerie-Ducom ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2007 at 3:17 PM

file_379508.jpg

I took this photo with my first CANON AE - 1 camera when i had 12 old year. My first steps in the world of the photograph.Sorry for the quality of the photograph, but it is a scanner..

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2007 at 7:58 PM

file_379597.jpg

This will mean little to anyone but me.   This is the winner of the "great duck off" about 20 years ago. My now deceased younger brother and I were engaged in a wood carving contest...slang for contest or competition is "off"...work off all entries until only one is left.   I won the "great duck off"!!      

Surely, from the daffy duck of my feeble attempt at carving a duck from spalted maple, you can guess the other entry was even worse..yes, it was.  The contest was fun.

All my wood carving of living forms looks cartoonish.  Well, maybe I am a cartoon and don't know it.  My brother was actually quite accomplished in wood carving and did many lovely and well crafted objects of art.

So, the nostalgia is memory, memory of that fun contest.        TomDart.

Margana ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2007 at 10:04 PM

Thanks for sharing that, Tom. It doesn't look cartoonish to me at all. And thanks to all the others who have posted. This is a wonderful theme.

Marlene <")

My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2007 at 8:20 AM

Nice old photo from that Canon Valou...excellent even back then. ;'] Great carving there Tom, much better than I would be able to mange -- and nice memories.

jasonj ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 9:26 PM · edited Tue, 12 June 2007 at 9:29 PM

file_379997.jpg

Growing up in a small mid-western town, I think this photo sums up summer perfectly for me. Whether your summer festival is all about sweet corn or all about cow chips, these guys will be there. They're always there... though not in the numbers they used to be. Ironically enough, this was from my last shoot on film... another dying breed. ------------------ This is my first post to the forums. I've got a couple of other entries I think I'll post soon. Jason

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 9:45 PM

Great stuff...yea the American farmer is a dying breed..it's a shame and mostly it has to do with corporate greed..

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 9:48 PM

file_380087.jpg

I remember going to the drive-in theater as a kid..it was great fun..the horrible sounding speaking that hooked to the window..the silly advertisements between features..

There is a TWO screen drive in not far from me..The sound now comes over the radio...BUT..they still have al of the old commercial during intermission..

Went to see Pirates 3

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 9:51 PM

file_380088.jpg

This is from an old amusement park by where I live..not much has changed since I was a kid.. The animals on this merry-go round are over a hundred years old.

it's kinda differnt cause it's not just horses..it's goats and roosters and all sorts of different animals.

My son always wanted to ride the goat when he was little..

www.bclaytonphoto.com

Margana ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 1:53 AM · edited Thu, 14 June 2007 at 1:57 AM

Drive-ins...sigh...so many memories! But most of all, I remember going there as a little kid, in my pajamas. There was a playground there, in front of the screen, and all the little kids would get to play there, before it got dark and the movie started....And the funny thing is...I think the thing I loved most, was that I was allowed outside, on a summer night, wearing only my pajamas....

Thanks for the sweet memory, Bruce...Hadn't thought of that in ages..... :^)

Marlene <")

My Blog

pstekky ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 12:40 PM

file_380204.jpg

And before there was radio.....   Hey all, I've really missed this forum, it's been a while.  (I hope someone remembers me!)  I was quiet then as I probably will continue to be, as it's my nature, but I'm on vacation and taking LOTS of photos and had to drop in to see what was up.    This one fits the bill,  it's an old Victrola that's been in the family forever.  It doesn't work any more, but it looks nice while it's not working.  :)      Rich

Margana ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 2:47 PM

Wonderful shot. I love the way you toned it. The bright light on the record surface balances the compo beautifully.

Marlene <")

My Blog

jasonj ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 9:11 PM · edited Fri, 15 June 2007 at 9:12 PM

file_380248.jpg

Another favorite of mine. This was the 2005 White Sox Championship Parade. I was ear deep in people so didn't get many shots of the parade itself, but the atmosphere there was just amazing. I personally love this photo because of the anticipation and excitement it captured without even seeing their faces. The same emotion and anticipation that would have been on the faces of these kids' great grandparentss faces the last time the Sox won a World Series. Amazing photographs, everyone. There's history and emotion in all of them. So great to see other people's take on this theme.

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 11:34 AM

Two more really interesting image..I'm enjoying hearing the storys behind each one of these

www.bclaytonphoto.com

jasonj ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 8:51 PM · edited Sun, 17 June 2007 at 8:52 PM

file_380448.jpg

Just a photo from the trip my son and I took to the zoo today. I've always loved these machines, which are now so retro they're hip. He loved it too, and now he has his very own waxy plastic gorilla. And the smell of the molten wax sent me reeling back in time. I've still got a small collection of these inexpensive but cool (except when they first come out of the machine!) memories. I had another photo in mind for my third... but after the trip, this one beat it out.

Valerie-Ducom ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2007 at 8:05 PM

file_380642.jpg

A medal of atlétisme I won when I was 12 years old.

Valerie-Ducom ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2007 at 8:08 PM

file_380643.jpg

A carousel of music, a present of my grandmother.

vlaaitje ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2007 at 7:18 AM · edited Wed, 20 June 2007 at 7:20 AM

file_380680.jpg

*I got this present when I gave born to my Son Glen 11-4-87*

It brings good old memories if I think back when he was a little baby.

That's 20 years ago now.

Now I will give it to him, 
because his first child is underway.

That's why I see this present I got that time 
as precious, because it was given for him.

Now he can use it for his own child soon

vlaaitje ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2007 at 7:27 AM · edited Wed, 20 June 2007 at 7:29 AM

file_380681.jpg

*This ring is the wedding ring from my mother in law.*

She died to young, in an age from 50.......8 March 1981

I am nearly 50 now, and every time if I see this ring  
I am thinking back to the time I spent there 
with their family when I was young 14 year..... 
she gave birth to 10 children, one past away very young.

She had a hard life, threaten not so nice in her marriage, 
I saw that often and that broke my heart many times, 
she did not deserve after raise all her 9 kids to die so soon, 
she never had the time to enjoy her grandchildren.....
which is very sad.

That's why is this golden ring a precious memory 
to a mother that gave love to all her children, 
but never had the chance to give it to her grandkids....

Valerie-Ducom ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2007 at 7:54 AM

So beautiful Ilona

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2007 at 11:22 AM

Very touching Ilona.

danob ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2007 at 6:10 PM

A lovely story Ilona

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

StandsInAwe ( ) posted Mon, 25 June 2007 at 5:31 AM

file_381107.jpg

I've never posted before so let's see if this works out.  First let me say that I am on the short end of nostalgia not being even 25 yet and only having a camera for a few years, however, I must say that I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.  Inspite of my lack of true photos of nostalgia I feel that I may have something to contribute.This is a pic of me and my 85+, WWII vet grandpa.  You might be able to see some similarities.  Anyway, when I was little I would go to their house and sit on his lap and hear all kinds of stories - most I found out later were 'just' stories, but I loved them.  He lost his left hand during the war and I didn't know till I was about 15 how he actually lost it.  I'd heard about a dozen different stories - most involving cowboys and indians, but one day I just asked my mom and learned the real story.  Just after the truce his platoon was rummaging through a house.  One of the other guys tossed him something and it blew up in his hand.  Anyway, after that it became much more real to me what he'd been through and every chance I get I sit beside him (i'm too big for his lap anymore) and listen to whatever story he wants to share though anymore they are the stories of his real life.  Needless to say, he's my hero, and I will never stop admiring him. I could go on and on, but I'll spare you all and finish here. Thanks for the promt.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 25 June 2007 at 10:55 AM

file_381112.jpg

Great first post SIA, and wonderful thoughts/story and snapshot. Please feel free to post more. I had a great grandpa that circled the world 5 times in the Navy -- too bad I never heard some of his stories. Here is my final entry for the challenge. Another photo from my Cumberland Island excursion. Is it possible to feel nostalgia for somone else's lost granduer? The Dungeoness Ruins in the rain. Please view it full size for max detail.

Kendra ( ) posted Mon, 25 June 2007 at 3:59 PM

I don't post in here either but with my new Nikon, I've been reading more of the photography forum than before.  :)   I've always loved taking photographs but never had a decent camera until now.  
This one was taken about 3 years ago.  It's an annual event that re-enacts the trek over the summit during the gold rush.  It was shot in color, the black and white was accomplished in Photoshop.  I'll be turning it into a postcard by the next wagon train event.  

...... Kendra

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Mon, 25 June 2007 at 5:35 PM

Kendra, Kort, StandsInAwe,

Thanks for sharing your images and storys in this thread..

www.bclaytonphoto.com

vlaaitje ( ) posted Tue, 26 June 2007 at 1:43 AM

yes, what a lovely storys...nice to see that some post and went for the first time in this forum !!

Thanks for sharing your images and storys in this thread..

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.