Tue, Oct 22, 12:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Lens & Filter cleaning

stuart83 ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 3:06 AM · edited Sat, 17 August 2024 at 7:22 AM

Don't know if anyone else notices this, before going out for shooting I check the lenses & filters for cleanliness, they look good.
When after spending the day out I notice most of the pictures have small black/ grey dots on them, obvious the lens/ filter isn't as clean as I first thought.
1st  ..........Whats best to clean the lenses & filters
2nd ..........Just keeping the lens cap on is not enough to keep the dust out, what is

Stuart

danob ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 5:08 AM

Stuart if the lens looks clean what you describe may well be sensor dirt , or that dust may have gotten onto the inside glass elements at the rear of the lens, or even in the lens themselves... Some lens caps are also prone to static buildup and any dust there is tranferred to the front lens glass... Maybe you can show us an image with the dots you mention for us to give you a better idea.

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

stuart83 ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 6:03 AM

file_379245.jpg

Thanks Danny should have thought of that first, I have cropped, resized & oversharpened to highlight the areas concerned, also there is a good example of this in the last upload from [ramjet_dude1970](../../mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=291851) I noticed this as we both use the same camera & mentioned it to him

Stuart

danob ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 6:25 AM

I would say this is sensor dirt Stuart   We have discussed the pros and cons of doing this yourself and the risks of doing damage I use the Canon approved method of a  large blower to blow over the sensor after opening the sensor for cleaning via the menu on the camera,  and have so far found I can clean off the sensor very well with this method.. 

There are other tools for the job, many are quite expensive for what they are, and involve such things as wipes or small sticky pads... If you dont fancy the job you can get it done at a repair centre here in the UK it costs around 30 pounds .. If you want more details let me know... There are many articles on the net on how to go about this task.. Which I find needs to be done on a weekly basis

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

babuci ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 6:56 AM

Sad news Stuart! I have a Canon 400 too and yes I do have spots like yours. Lens, camera looks clean...coming home from day trip find nearly all my shots has a spots on a same place...very very anoying.

Danny thanks for an additional info on how to clean a sensor  at home. I so scared to touch it but one day I will  "have to close my eyes" and do it.

seeya  Tunde

mark.spooner ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 7:15 AM · edited Mon, 04 June 2007 at 7:15 AM

Attached Link: http://www.eos-magazine.com/Sales%20folder/Sales/sensorcleaning.html

I use a large blower like Danny does on my Canon 350D but for any spots that I can't remove with that I use a product mentioned in EOS Magazine that goes by the name Speckgrabber. 

It is far cheaper than most methods and I've had good results with it but before deciding on it I would read the  article I've attached.

It is from EOS Magazine but is good general information on sensor cleaning products.

stuart83 ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 8:10 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions & links, will have a look at the link tomorrow night

Stuart

MGD ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 11:29 AM

My $/50 (aka 2 cents) worth ... Whan changing the lens of a digital SLR,
be sure the camera is powered down -- otherwise the sensor attracts the dust. 

OTOH, I don't know exactly how strong that effect is. 

-- 
Martin

inshaala ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 11:39 AM

Just thought i would add that sensor dust shows up more when you use a higher f-stop... something about the direction of the light hitting the sensor or something.  So to reduce the appearance of the dust you can use a lower f-stop, but that doesnt beat cleaning the sensor.

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

Onslow ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 11:46 AM · edited Mon, 04 June 2007 at 11:46 AM

Filters wash fine in the dishwasher on a glass cycle. Probably not the best method for the cam or lenses though  

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 11:48 AM

Really? I heard pourng hydrogen peroxide onto the sensor lifts the dust partical right off in the bubbles. :b_rolleyes: (seriously kids, don't try that at home)

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

Onslow ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 11:50 AM · edited Mon, 04 June 2007 at 11:53 AM

Yeah and only get pics of blonds afterwards too
Great for the hi key look tho !

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 12:04 PM

:b_funny:

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2007 at 8:32 PM

Ok thing thathasn't been mentioned is the 400D/XTI has dust deletion that you can customise..

(plus an auto sensor cleaner)

The first thing I would recomend is taking a shot of a blank white paper or a wall..something that has no blemishes..

Then consult your manual to see if the custon dust cleaning will work for you..

of course make sure your lens is clean

I thought I had some dust..turns out it was Photomatix (software) that added the specks..

Just be sure you really have an issue before you attempt a cleaning !!

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

stuart83 ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2007 at 2:36 AM

Thanks everyone, once again, I went to the link provided by Mark & it was insightfull, but all said & done the sensor was dirty & I'm happy to say it's clean now

Stuart

danob ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2007 at 7:54 AM

Hooray job well done

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2007 at 8:52 AM

And they all lived happily ever after.

MGD ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2007 at 1:04 PM

Attached Link: Adorama Lens Cleaning Kit

**Onslow** said,

Filters wash fine in the dishwasher on a glass cycle.

Filters may have an anti reflective coating -- the dishwasher detergent
might modify or remove that coating. 

You should clean a filter with the same materials and care that you
would use to clean a camera lens. 

--
Martin

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.