Sat, Sep 21, 3:04 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Infrared (IR) Photography Thread

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 3:55 PM

Attached Link: New Sensor Thread

I just found out there is a new sensor being developed that could me cameras that don't need to have IR filters to shoot properly in IR anymore. That would sure be a treat!

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 4:18 PM

file_377666.jpg

Noticed this in the announcement, that answers a previous question about shooting into the sun: "Conventional MOS image sensors require polymer onchip microlenses and dyed RGB color filters, which are fragile and extremely susceptible to sunlight exposure and a change in temperature. As a result, color images captured by a camera used under direct sunlight, including the ultra-violet (UV) portion, and higher temperature conditions will fade faster." I guess I shouldn't be taking too many shots like this one, huh? ;']

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 17 May 2007 at 3:33 PM

Attached Link: Quick, Easy, Professional Photoshop CS(X) Digital InfraRed Tutorial

Joe's [nattarious] new tutorial on how to create the IR look using a regular image has been posted. It is a quick and easy method that is quite effective. Mayda and I were both fooled. Go check it out!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 17 May 2007 at 3:51 PM

file_377844.jpg

Freshly chopped scallions. Just to show that some subjects are not overly suited to being photographed in IR.

newleaf ( ) posted Thu, 17 May 2007 at 4:00 PM

OK I've printed it out and will give it a go

newleaf ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2007 at 4:45 AM

file_377907.jpg

First a natural fractal

newleaf ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2007 at 4:48 AM

file_377908.jpg

Second moss. I am not sure what I am looking for here so you all better let me know what I am doing.OK

newleaf ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2007 at 4:50 AM

file_377909.jpg

Last a river and bridge. Are any of them going the right way

Also thanks to Joe for the very easy to follow tute

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2007 at 6:15 AM

There's some FREE  Photoshop IR actions available over at  ACTION CENTRAL

[http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm

](http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm#A2D_Infrared_)

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2007 at 7:37 AM

file_377916.jpg

Thanks Joe. And yes they are Pat, especially that first. As I've said before, there is no substitute for actually shooting in IR to begin with, but natarious' method can produce good results. As he pointed out though, other work may need to be done, like darkening the sky and water in your last photo. Sometimes, darkening a sky a bit before performing the conversion can help make it darker afterwards. Here is an example using the method I've come up with that is similar to natarious'. You can see a bit of black outlining on some of the trees...an unfortunate by product of this process. Still, it is fairly convincing. Having the right subject matter -- green foliage and blue skys -- helps a lot.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2007 at 7:43 AM

file_377917.jpg

And it just so happens I have a slightly blurry true IR photo of that same scene, for comparison purposes. They are very similar, but there are differences.

newleaf ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2007 at 8:24 AM

Right I got a lot of playing around to do before I post again hopefully better than this time.  Off to play.

zep_addict ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2007 at 4:49 PM

Would anyone have a recomendation for a wide angle lens to use with a modified Rebel XTi?  I'm currently considering "Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM"

Thanks,
Jim

babuci ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2007 at 6:53 PM · edited Sat, 19 May 2007 at 6:54 PM

file_378045.jpg

Finaly I tried Joe's tuto on IR conversion. Interesting outcome I like it, but I had to add some color tone to it and now I realy like it. What ever reason a converted shots becames very noise thou. (I don't have noise ninja to get rid of it). So yeah Thanks Joe for a tuto and thanks Kort to all the comparable sample shots. 

seeyus  Tunde

TwoPynts ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2007 at 7:09 PM

Well, many feel that noise is part of the IR look Tunde, but I know what you mean. You can download the free version of Neat Image to clean up your web sized photos. ;'] Nicely done BTW. :) Jim, LouLouBell has a converted Rebel, perhaps she could give you so feedback about a lense. I assume a good lens is a good lens so you could pose your question in the main forum in it's own thread so it has a better chance of getting seen. I would also be sure to check out the dpreview.com's list of lenses that tend to produce hotspots.

girsempa ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2007 at 8:32 PM

Here's a good link about that Photoshop channel mixer method: http://www.tutorialelf.com/Infrared_Effect_Adobe_Photoshop_Tutorials.html Although it looks like an exact replica of Joe's tutorial... ;o))

We do not see things as they are. ǝɹɐ ǝʍ sɐ sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝs ǝʍ

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2007 at 8:33 PM · edited Sat, 19 May 2007 at 8:45 PM

A lunchtime  stop over at the park in Grovers Mills, NJ....took a few IR pix of the "War of the Worlds" monument! 

It was kinda windy...so the blur is really exaggerated due to the shutter speed....but as i said before...I like the sense of motion created sometimes!

Still battin' around gettin my G6 modded for IR

Joe

newleaf ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2007 at 10:44 AM

file_378106.jpg

Another, I was surprised to see the 'white' bushes in the center were yellow and the ones which were green turned grey. Don't know how to remove the colour still showing but I did manage a dark sky. an improvement over all from the first few, I think.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 11:56 AM · edited Mon, 21 May 2007 at 11:56 AM

file_378197.jpg

Nice Pat! I am sure you could just convert the image to greyscale, or use the hue/saturation tool to get rid of the colors. Hey Joe, that is cool! The static central image really emphasizes the movement of the foliage, which I happen to like as well. Here is a close up of an anole in IR. Again, perhaps not the best supject for infrared.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 12:36 PM

Attached Link: Billion Pixel IR Photo

Jim "zep_addict" brought this to my attention. All I can say is WOW!

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 9:01 PM

Just keepin the thread ALIVE...awhile ago...I experimented using my G6's  intervalometer...to do some IR timelapse.

Joe

mamabobbijo ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2007 at 11:48 AM

That one of the war of the worlds monument is so cool. It is an eerie subject anyway the blurs and sense of movement add much. The timelapse is incredible! BJ

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2007 at 11:53 AM

It is great to see that timelapse again Joe. Excellent work.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 30 May 2007 at 10:35 AM

file_378896.jpg

Ping! Just wanted to illustrated that IR can be used in a variety of situations. In stormy weather, it can really add to the mood of the scene.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 30 May 2007 at 10:39 AM

Attached Link: 1000s of new galaxies

A link to a more scientific use of infrared. :o)

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Wed, 30 May 2007 at 8:29 PM

Cool shot Kort!!!!  Most definitely adds to the MOOD!

Last year I did a photoshoot for a local band called Space for Rent. I told them about tryin some IR shots and they were very open to the idea!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2007 at 3:40 PM

file_378983.jpg

Nice idea to shoot for a musical group in IR. It gives it a very cingular character. Here is another stormy weather photo.

mamabobbijo ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2007 at 6:00 PM

The IR always adds to what ever is shot. I love the first stormKort and the first shot of the band as well. The name brought to mind a bizarre sight in upstate NY. There was a pasture with an old falling down building in the middle. You could see clear through the walls. There was a sign posted This Space for Rent Furnished. I had to go back and see if there was an alternate address, There wasn't. I chuckled for quite a while down the road.
BJ

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2007 at 8:30 AM

file_379046.jpg

Good story BJ, heheheh. Is this the place? ;'P

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2007 at 4:11 PM

file_379078.jpg

For comparison purposes, to un-retouched IR images from 2 modded cameras. One with a Wratten 87 filter that lets in no visible light (top) and another with a Hoya R72 equivalent that allows some visible light to reach the sensor. You can see in the second image that a false color scheme is possible. I look forward to testing this combo out this weekend.

mamabobbijo ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2007 at 10:57 AM

Looks like it could be! Maybe they rented it the sign is gone. BJ

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2007 at 4:28 PM

file_379358.jpg

Playing with a new modded P200, this one with an R72 equivalent, so a false color scheme is possible. Here is a straight photo from it.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2007 at 4:29 PM

Attached Link: Photoshop Action

file_379359.jpg

Here is a postworked version in which I used a color swap action I found at the link above.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2007 at 4:31 PM

Attached Link: Chris Maddock's Tutorials & Articles

I also just f ound this nice little site with some good info.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2007 at 5:55 PM

Kort, pretty cool the camera taking the pink tint out.  Probably takes most of the post work out too.  

Mike

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2007 at 7:36 PM

file_379371.jpg

I had experimented before with custom white balance and found it removed  a lot of the pink tint, so I tried it with a setting sun after noticing Korts last image had a low sun angle.  Acquired the white balance reading off of a white post on my front porch.   Thanks for links and the image Kort.  

And for those who wonder about camera settings.

Fuji S5100 iso 64 shutter 1/100 sec f2.8. Hoya R72.

Margana ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2007 at 2:02 AM

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE that timelapse!!!!

Some really beautiful shots and great  info here... Thanks to all contributing...  :^)

Marlene <")

Marlene S. Piskin Photography
My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

babuci ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2007 at 2:56 AM

@Kort, I love the false colored  versions, specialy a second one. How many camera you have what is been converted? 

@MMM ( mrmadmikie) Interesting to see Fuji can produce pretty neat IR shot too. Thanks for an info on settings.
Keep post them guys never enough of IR wonders....

seeya  Tunde

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2007 at 3:15 AM

file_379403.jpg

Here are the out of the camera images.  Top is Auto WB, bottom is Custom WB.  

babuci ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2007 at 6:06 AM

I know this is personal taste, I would choose a Custom WB...just need some contrast and done. Great sample shots  and what a different in colors and density.

seeya  Tunde

mamabobbijo ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2007 at 6:11 AM

WOW! It is so cool to see the same shot with different colours treatments! Korts goes from positively ominous to gently serene and all he did was change the colour. Mike's has many views of a stunning sunset. Very cool guys! BJ

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2007 at 8:06 AM

file_379409.jpg

@Tunde - I'm am testing the 2nd camera out...there are some issues with the first camera. I have to say I really like the false color effect, especially with this filter/camera combo. @MMM (heheh) - I definately like the custom WB better, though it can all be edited the same in postwork. For the P200 with the pure IR images, I have my settings so that the images are more desaturated and -.3 to -.7 ev out of the cam, and have a custom WB for that too. The top photo is on auto, and the bottom two are custom settings. No postwork.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2007 at 8:11 AM

file_379410.jpg

And here is a straight from camera photo from the other modded P200, this one with the R72 equivalent filter. The bottom image was run the the red to blue color channel swap action. I would do more postwork to it, but just wanted to give you an idea. Fun stuff! 👍

john010766 ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2007 at 8:34 AM

HI All
sorry I have been away for a while but not been well, (hands, back etc etc) but wont bore you with the gory details.

Have been playing with channel swapping recently and really cant get the look I am after but will keep trying.  Also I am getting alot of failed images (think repical failure) on a CANON 350D so does any one have tips/hints to help me improve?

Still working on the IR document and follow up piece on post processing.

John
Be safe, Be well, Be happy, Be Unique by being you.

If Swimming is good for your figure explain whales to me.

babuci ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2007 at 9:07 AM

@Kort, Pinky series, a first shot looks like my "original" IR shot what I can do with canon 400 but I am using a screw on R72 filter. The middle just a nice soft version, but I realy like a bottom one beautifull purple colors.
Double shots.....I have to get use to the brownish-yellow color combination, intersting but find it strange. Bottom one realy a good blueish color!

@John, keep try it don't give up. I have so many miss shot, I still go and take some more, I will get there...some day. I keep say it to myself, " if others can do it I will do, just matter of the time"

seeyus  happy IR shooting...Tunde

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2007 at 1:05 PM

@kort, I really like the starting point on the r72mod images.  thanks for the settings info.
Mike

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2007 at 1:12 PM

Yeah Mike (MMM), the 'tannish' color cast has a certain appeal to it.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2007 at 4:37 PM

Attached Link: oVan's View

Here is a 7 step tutorial for creating false color IR images with LightZone 3.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2007 at 4:42 AM

Attached Link: Shuttle launch

file_379625.jpg

An out of the camera image + noise reduction of my gallery upload.

The black art of white balance.  This is was in the auto mode.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2007 at 11:10 AM

I was taking a Taekwondo lesson at the time and getting my butt kicked, I am sad I missed it. Awsome capture - now I don't feel so bad! ;']

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.