Thu, Oct 3, 12:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Compressing Poser Files?

Kaji ( ) posted Sun, 24 June 2007 at 1:31 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 10:19 PM

Is there a good reason not to compress Poser files? I found the utility in P7 and I wonder why more content is not compressed, the files take up a lot of space otherwise.

I started compressing some of the files and I haven't run into any problems.

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 24 June 2007 at 1:53 PM

Yes, because if you want to get at them and make manual changes, you need to uncompress them all the time.

If you are not going to do that, then go ahead and compress them, but everyoen I know leaves them uncompressed.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

thefixer ( ) posted Sun, 24 June 2007 at 2:25 PM

Also if you use Vue, it sometimes doesn't like compressed files!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Kaji ( ) posted Sun, 24 June 2007 at 2:28 PM

I ran into that problem with KelvinG2. I just exported the OBJ file. :)

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 24 June 2007 at 6:01 PM

I always compress my files even the object files.

The only files I do not compress are the !DAZ folder and my "Python" and "MatmaticDemos" folders. 

I find that sometimes I have a problem injecting character morph packages if the !DAZ folder is compressed.  As well, I discovered that if you compress the "Matmatic" files Python gives you errors. So that's why I leave the Python and "Matmatic Demos" folders uncompressed too.

Compressing files in Poser 6 (and probably Poser 7) is much better than in Poser 5. In Poser 5 you didn't have an option to go and compress or uncompress specific folders: you had to do the whole runtime. In Poser 6 you can go and browse to the folder you wan to compress or uncompress which makes it much easier.

The only time I have to uncompress a file is when I want to open the file to look at the code for some reason.  Other than that I don't use other programs so the compressed files don't really affect my ability to work with them.

It's particularly good to compress the .pz3 files because those are huge! Compressing just those can free up gigs worth of space.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Kaji ( ) posted Sun, 24 June 2007 at 6:13 PM

That's good to know, thank you.

infinity10 ( ) posted Fri, 29 June 2007 at 8:55 AM

thanks Acadia - that was an important point which explains some of the glitches I've experience from time to time.

Eternal Hobbyist

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.