Tue, Oct 22, 12:46 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 11:46 am)

Subject: Is there a tutorial that is focused primarily on camera settings?

jhustead ( ) posted Mon, 25 June 2007 at 4:20 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:38 PM

I'm not sure how to set up the camera settings for a portrait versus a full body render. For example what particular type of lens settings should I use when just focusing in on the face? If you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it a lot. Enjoy the rest of the week.

James

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 25 June 2007 at 5:05 PM

Short answer is - around 100mm for a portrait and anything you like for full body.  

Anything with distance often benefits from a smaller focal length and to this end a lot of people, myself included, use 50mm or lower.  Using a 35mm focal length is great for adding drama and depth to an image but it looks horrible on a portrait.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

slinger ( ) posted Mon, 25 June 2007 at 5:07 PM

I have a brief tutorial here...

Poser Cameras

The liver is evil - It must be punished.

Dave8 ( ) posted Mon, 25 June 2007 at 5:33 PM

i use 60 for full body and 100+ for close up

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 25 June 2007 at 6:35 PM

I use 105mm for all of my cameras.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

urbanarmitage ( ) posted Tue, 26 June 2007 at 1:58 AM

Ahh, classic portrait focal length Acadia. That's good advice. :)

If you take a look around on the 'net you'll find heaps of info for 35mm photography showing what focal lengths are best for different scenes. This will most definately apply to Poser as well. Just be careful though because 'standard' focal lengths in 35mm are not the same as those in digital photography. For example a 50mm lens in 35mm photography is considered to be 1:1, ie what the human eye sees, but in digital photography unless the CCD sensor is 24mmx36mm (35mm film size) the image from a 50mm may look closer to what you would get from around an 80mm in 35mm photography.

Sorry about the technical description, I just thought it relevant. :)

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Tue, 26 June 2007 at 2:10 AM

I tend to use anything from 100-150mm in 'normal' portraits, but have gone as low as 25mm for some close-up fish-eye madness!

105mm seems to be the sweet spot, and is what I default to for setting up images.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

Gini ( ) posted Tue, 26 June 2007 at 7:27 AM

Quote - I have a brief tutorial here...

Poser Cameras

Thanks for that !

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

slinger ( ) posted Tue, 26 June 2007 at 7:38 AM

You're welcome Gini.  I'm glad it proved useful

The liver is evil - It must be punished.

jhustead ( ) posted Tue, 26 June 2007 at 2:55 PM

I thank you all for your input. Enjoy the rest of this week.

Cheers,
James

ockham ( ) posted Tue, 26 June 2007 at 4:24 PM

The little tutorial was indeed helpful.  

Wonder why Poser has never included a variety of default
camera settings for portrait, landscape, etc?   They include 
a "fisheye" and "extreme fisheye",  but the rest are just different 
angles, which we don't really need any defaults to help with. 

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.