Sun, Sep 22, 4:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 9:12 am)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: the what, how and when, while you model topic!

SolidusSoft ( ) posted Wed, 04 July 2007 at 9:18 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 2:26 PM

I thought it would be a neat idea to hear what other artists are doing while they are modelling and how you spend these times of concentration and hard work. Are you listening to music, do you sit in a quiet room. Do you work at daytime or in the night? Where do you get your inspiration and how many hours do you work in a row on a model? What do you like the most, the uv-mapping or modelling, and do you have some rituals when you model.

I for one model with Wings 3D, and I like to have some music on, mostly Jazz, Trance, and Instrumental music. I model for about a hour at most in a row, because of taking a break to smoke, or having a walk. After that another hour, often 2 hours a day.
I work most of the time by daytime, I can best perform in the morning. Though drawing uv-maps are best to be done in the evening/night. I get my inspiration from my hobby's and interests. Sometimes by shopping in the mall and seeing some nice crafts whom drool for some time in my imagination. I search Google for images of my upcoming models, wich I use for model and texture reference. I like modelling the most, but I feel completely satisfied when I render my model with texturemap in Poser... oh how sweet!

I'm curious to what, how and when you do it!
*it = modelling :)

Gog ( ) posted Wed, 04 July 2007 at 10:18 AM

Most of my modelling is done in lunch hours or evenings, I love the whole process of modelling and then texturing, anything is a challenge! used to do some pre-production as part of the day job, alas no more so I do odd bits and pieces for a couple of friends companies and if I'm really lucky some hobby images. THe hobby ones tend to be rushed, so I often feel I don't show my true best pieces here :(

Music tends to be heavier then yours I guess some Pink Floyd, but mainly Metallica, Panic Cell, Aerosmith, Nickelback, Rage against the Machine......

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

Warlock279 ( ) posted Wed, 04 July 2007 at 2:17 PM

I model, in Lightwave, and occasionaly mess around a little in Blender. I model anything and everything from cars and spaceships to people and creatures.

Music is a must, usually via one of my Pandora stations. I listen to a lot of things, usualy its heavier stuff, Ozzy/Sabbath/Black Label Society, and the like, or classic rock. But  I'll range into trance/techno/hardcore, maybe a little coutry or rap sometimes as well if the mood strikes me. I seem to be able to zone out and get in a modeling groove to a good hardcore or trance mix sometimes, and get some serious work done rather quickly. As long as the music is good tho, I'm good to go.

Usually model about 12 hours a day, spell that with a break for shooting pool/watching baseball, and another one for playing guitar, maybe some food in there as well. Rinse, wash, repeat, as they say.

I model mostly late afternoon, evening, and night, on into the early morning.

Inspiration comes from everything, mostly seeing top notch work from other artists.

I like modeling the most, and texturing second, unfortunately, between the two lies UV mapping, and I don't usually get on with that so much.

Rituals? I...uhh...sacrifice, goats and sometimes noobs should I find any nosing about, asking too many questions...mostly goats tho...mostly. 😉

Core i7 950@3.02GHz | 12GB Corsair Dominator Ram@1600mHz | 2GB Geforce GTX 660

Lightwave | Blender | Marmoset | GIMP | Krita

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 04 July 2007 at 6:04 PM

I model mostly in Hexagon and set Windows Media Player to randomly play from all genres.  I have no rap or country songs.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Piflik ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 1:07 AM

I use 3ds max and love to model, but I hate UVMapping. But that's mainly because I haven't tried it to often ;). My inspiration comes mostly from reading books, but the ideas often don't have any links to the story. And sometimes, when I listen to music, I have "visions" of scenes that I think would fit to that song.

I never finish anyth

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.