Mon, Jul 8, 6:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 07 8:11 pm)

Subject: Does this happen to anyone else?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 8:05 PM · edited Mon, 08 July 2024 at 1:11 AM
Site Admin

When I'm rendering an image in Poser or in Bryce that is larger the computer shuts off. It doesn't go through a shut down phase. The power light does not go off, but nothing responds and the heat sink fans stop. I have to hold down the power button to turn that off, wait a second and press it again to turn it on again. I thought at first there was a hardware issue but the guy at the computer shop says everything works fine. I reinstalled everything from windows up and have the update for poser.  I also bought a new battery backup (UPS) incase there was an electricity problem. Does this happen to anyone else? Is it a lack of memory issue? Do I need to find a new computer repair shop? Does any one have ant ideas, suggestions, wild guesses?

I have a PC with windows XP with a 2-gig processor, 1 gig of memory, and Poser 6.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 8:16 PM

get another GB or RAM?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 8:21 PM

Power supply or CPU overheating, I bet.

Take the fan off the CPU and clean out the heatsink vanes.  Clean the air slots in the power supply and just about everything else that you can find in there.  Get some more fans and shove them all over the place.

Do all this, of course, while your computer is switched off, else you - and it - will probably fry.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 8:27 PM
Site Admin

I tried cleaing the dust from it. do that everytime I open it  and had it running with out the cover for a while. Unfortunatly it didn't help.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 11:33 PM

I pull my heatsink once a month and clean it out.  I blow out the CPU fans every week, along with the 8 other fans I've installed.  This makes a big difference in performance.  Also, if you pull the heatsink, get some really good heatsink stuff ... my son works for Dell and he give me silicone jelly for my heatsink and says it's the only stuff to use.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 2:53 AM

As well as a heat issue this can be caused by a driver setting, there is an article on this very thing at microsoft knowledge base, have you installed any new drivers recently??

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Chopperman ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 8:04 AM

Ditto the overheating. The guy at the shop probably doesnt stress it like a 3d app does. Running without a cover doesnt help because the air is no longer moved through the case - imagine trying to heat your house by blasting the hot air in the basement without any ducts to transport the heat through the house. Now you could try running with a room fan aimed at the motherboard and see if that tells you it is indeed the heat causing it to shut off.  If it is - as pointed out - upgrade the cpu cooler and case fans.

I'm a bit rusty at the PC fixit biz - its been a long time - But from what I have noticed - cooling is even more important with these later generation rigs than it was when I made my nut fixing the things.

Mystic-Nights ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 8:15 AM

file_382363.jpg

Is it possible your computer is just going into hibernation. I have Windows XP and that happened to me, so I disable it in the Control Panel under Power Options by setting everything to Never.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 8:40 AM

Good catch, Mystic.  Like you, my system is set to never hibernate because I've always got something rendering in the background so I didn't even think about that.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 7:42 PM
Site Admin

No.  I know it's not going into hybernation mode. I'll try the fan thing. Will t make a difference if I leave it off over night and then boot it up and try running the render right away? That way it has a chance to cool down?

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 8:22 PM

Leaving it to cool off overnight won't matter much. The system won't retain the heat for very long. If you cool the system with a room fan, fifteen minutes cooldown should be enough.
The room fan idea is good, you'll force a lot of relatively cool air over the components.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 10:11 PM

By the same token, if it is a heat problem, the CPU will be scorching in a matter of minutes.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 10:29 PM

I encountered a similar problem in my office that hat me hitting my head against the wall for about the week, thinking it's overheating problem.
It turned out that the computer had automatic windows updateds turned on, and the machine set to automatically shut down and reboot when it was done (no prompting).
It finally gave me a clue when the guy complained that it was happening same time of the day, few days in a row. 
I don't think that's going on with your computer though.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 10:30 PM

Quote - the computer shuts off. It doesn't go through a shut down phase. The power light does not go off, but nothing responds and the heat sink fans stop. I have to hold down the power button to turn that off, wait a second and press it again to turn it on again.

Hatet to tell you this, but that was what was happening to my old computer in December and January.  It was overheating and finally just died. I couldn't get it to power on and stay on long enough to boot up in the end.  Plus all of the overheating ended up melting the motherboard.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

jjroland ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 10:40 PM

aye aye to the overheating.  I had one way too old system with fans propped all around it in it's final days. 

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 10:12 PM
Site Admin

Why is it that the one machine that is supposed to make life easier is the most difficult thing to work with? I had another heatsink so I put that in but to do so I ended up having to take everything out of my computer so I could take the motherboard out to get the old one out. I've taken other heatsinks out and didn't have that problem. Hopefully this will work.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.