Fri, Sep 20, 4:48 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: useing 580 watts on flour that I hit with spoon

jocko500 ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 8:43 PM · edited Sun, 18 August 2024 at 4:32 PM

file_382289.JPG

I know I been talking of useing a 500watt work light and UV Lighting on flour as I drop something on it. That been about 6 months ago. I have left comments here in the forum so I post some here to show you all. I did not have any Idea how to do it for I know that a 40 watt bulb will not do the job. Then a few weeks ago I pick up this lighting ad book for lighting for photos Lol I saw in there 1000 watts systems and solf boxes and all type of stuff I never kewn about. Wish I went to photo school but I took the hard knots school. I did pick up the way the lighting up a stutio is support to be in the form by diff. members here which help me I know I did not do all you say but it came out anyway and some of it I think no one worked with was UV Lighting or some call it blacklighting.  I post some shot of what i did here and some will go into my gallery[diff photos of couse] and I post my stutio set up too here.  oh here is my stutio with the 500watt work light. I did put a white paper to lighten the shadows some and use the 80 watts UV Lighting too for the shadows and to light up som neon marbles. Be surprize on the neon paint will show up in normal lighting on film and digital camera.

what you see is not what you know; it in your face

jocko500 ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 8:45 PM

file_382290.JPG

here I used a spoon to hit the flour. It will make a bigger display.

jocko500 ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 8:46 PM

file_382291.JPG

here I used marbles

jocko500 ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 8:50 PM

file_382292.JPG

here I turned off the 500watt work light and put on 120 watts of UV Lighting. I all so have on a 100% blockage clear sunglasses on to stop the rays from hurting my eyes.  It can cause eye damage here is how the stutio looks like

jocko500 ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 8:52 PM

file_382294.JPG

another view

jocko500 ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 8:53 PM · edited Sun, 08 July 2007 at 8:55 PM

file_382295.JPG

here is one with just UV lighting on. I had my camera on the wrong setting and I set it right and shot some more photos but none came out. I was tried and my battery died anyway. So I put this in photo shop and lighten it up a little

jocko500 ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 9:00 PM

Hope no one got the idea I was just jokeing around or been smart when I say those comments on your treads. It may take awhile but I will do my experments as I say I would. May take six months or a year but I do it. My painted feet I thought of that a year ago and I just did it. lol

jocko500 ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 9:05 PM

file_382296.JPG

here how most came out lol if not worst. no flour is thown

jocko500 ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 9:36 PM

what I do not understand is when I say I going to do something . I wonder why no one elses go and do it???? . i got this idea when I saw the water drops that a lot of people was doing

jocko500 ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 9:47 PM · edited Sun, 08 July 2007 at 9:50 PM

My question in not fair so I going to answer it myself. I know some would think of this of me;  but was fear to put it down.  I do not mind. 
Guess a lot thinks my ideas is off the wall and may not understand what I saying or doing. 
I do not know where I going in the art world or with these photos. I know I have to get them out my system and so I do and I get more ideas and where these is going I know not. I not makeing money but I haveing fun. 
I donot not have the know how or the stuff to do a lot of my ideas but I do what I can with what I have

babuci ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 11:33 PM

Jocko, I love the first flour shot, shows a real "punch" . Keep experience please I love these ideas, totaly out of the square if you know what I mean. 

I have to admit it was  a while ago but within a year I bought some neon paint, I painted my hand, stick it under the black light but did not came out a way your looks like. Most likely I used a wrong paint. I living in a small town we have only one art supply store, this is what they have only. I mentioned a neon yelly, they looked at me funny. So I have to put this project a side untill I find a way to do it. I love to play with low light and strong colors and hand. This project would be for me. 
I thought I let you know your ongoing project very motivating to try it out. I will do it one day, I just have to figure it how.

seeya  Tunde

Onslow ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 12:24 AM · edited Mon, 09 July 2007 at 12:24 AM

"I wonder why no one elses go and do it????"
Some people do 

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1123421&member

Only the method was a little different I used a flash gun instead of those lights. The shot is of a ball bearing dropped into flour.

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

babuci ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 5:25 AM · edited Mon, 09 July 2007 at 5:25 AM

file_382360.jpg

I have simmilar shot I just not think is "gallery worthy" so left in its file dormant. Somehow nothing sharp on it. I remember the flour was just sitting there, did not make craters or flying powder at all, so I changed it to something a bit grainy. I use a cat eye marble for  "asteroid "

So here you go Jocko you just stared a new game. 

seeyus  Tunde

BTW Richard, I did your spoon and sugar shot  after I saw yours. I extremely blowed a white suggar out  ( lack of knowledge I could not help it) so I made it with rise...was great fun too and also will not make it to the final...my rendo gallery. Something just not right with it.

jocko500 ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 5:35 PM

babuci @ I bought some at speners which sells the black lights and the paint.
and some at the Wal Mark store here in town Acrylic enamei gloss Glow in the dark paint 
B5rand name is "Plaid Apple Barrel Colors
And I got some at a craft store
Apple barrel colors brand  and it just say neon paint on it like neon yellow #29490.
May help you. 
thanks Onslow I thought what I posted about "I wonder why no one elses go and do it????"  today and I should not have done that I sorry. Guess I was feeling down at the timeOh I just checked the image ***Onslow and I remember it now. I even commented on it lol.***sometimes I just do not think lol 
I know we all doing art the way we wish and That the way it should be.  We all going down diff roads just like in life.

jocko500 ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 5:44 PM · edited Mon, 09 July 2007 at 5:46 PM

oh not any type of paint will work. it will not glow. bUT YOU CAN USE IT FOR A UNDER COATING SO THE SKIN WILL NOT GLOW THAT BLUE LOOK

babuci ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 6:52 PM

Thanks Jocko I will try again with my art shop. The problem is I am living in Australia unless you in a big city you have little chance in a village. I might try e-bay...lol

seeya  Tunde

jocko500 ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 8:31 PM

Just say you like to paint blacklight posers or you looking for glow in the dark paint.
If you can not find it I sent you some.

mcv ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 11:13 AM

Excellent and creative art method and results Jocko!

The hot thing in some 3D computer graphics programs is having a "particle system".
Here you show a way to far exceed these systems in the real world!

In picture 2 of this thread ( also posted much larger in your cool gallery) I like the way the flour lots like particles near the back of this cool art capture, but like a textured continuous surface when closer to your camera.

Years ago we did stop motion film photos by using a camera with a open shutter setting in a dark room and making an aluminum foil switch which fired a flash on impact.

If I can, I will try to post a scan of one or teo of these older tech shoots.

Onslow ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 3:08 PM · edited Tue, 10 July 2007 at 3:09 PM

Hey Jocko you have nothing to be apologizing for

I like to see how others are working and what they are doing. 

I used a flash gun triggered for the time of impact similar to what mcv has mentioned above. My reservation with using lots of lights around a pile of flour is: Be Careful !   

If you get a lot of heat and a fine combustible powder it is the recipe for an explosion !

Keep sharing your methods, I think there is something of interest to everyone in the way others get their shots and what they are doing right now. 

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

jocko500 ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 8:38 PM

that be something diff to photo a explosion but it will hurt me and may burn down my house. lol guess I can try outside maybe put candles up so the flour can burn? I do not kow if it work? haahaha best to leave it alone for now. But something to think about shooting an explosion up close and hope to be safe too.

mcv ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 11:29 PM

Hi Jocko,

Love the work you are doing with UV and powders.

Now I am not at all sure here, so maybe an outdoor test with fire safety equipment would be a good idea, but I suspect that the powders

baking soda - salt - baking powered - sand

may not be as flamible as flour, sugar, saw dust, iron filings, etc.
So if you need to use high wattage bulbs again, maybe these would be the powders to try?

Be safe, be creative, and have fun!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.