Tue, Sep 24, 3:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 2:15 pm)

Subject: What is the point of the Wish List?

Paloth ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 12:45 AM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 3:25 PM

I wish I may, I wish I might, post the wish I wish tonight I really don't understand the use of the public wish list. Well, ok, maybe it's useful if you're a merchant and someone out there posts a link to your product, but I don't understand why anyone would buy into this. Do we post our shopping lists? Do we post our diaries? Should it interest anyone at all that I wish I could afford the full version of Maya? If I'm going to advertise for someone, I'd wish to be paid.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

wheatpenny ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 1:04 AM
Site Admin

the public wishlist is so if anyone decides to buy you a gift they will know what you want.
(and yes, that actually happens sometimes. I've received gifts like that, a few from people I didn't even know).

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

Paloth ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 1:13 AM

That's remarkable. No wonder people post wishlists.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 1:15 AM

There's a merchant here that gives me lots of stuff for free when he could be getting money for them so as a thank you I sometimes get him something off his public wish list, without his list I wouldn't know what to get him!!
I still get more from him than I've given him though!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

3Dsmacker ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 1:20 AM

Well I'll be dipped in two tons. I knew this 3D art world was diferent, but I never knew it was THAT different.

drifterlee ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 1:23 AM

An ebot also lets you know when something on the list is on sale, so you can buy it.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 2:33 AM

I have had things bought for me and I have bought gifts for others too. It's a nice way to say thank you.

I've also "bartered" with some merchants for items that are no longer for sale, or haven't been released yet by trading the item for a gift certificate here or at Daz, or buying them an item in their wish list of equivalent value to the item I'm getting from them.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 3:11 AM

Quote - I wish I may, I wish I might, post the wish I wish tonight I really don't understand the use of the public wish list. Well, ok, maybe it's useful if you're a merchant and someone out there posts a link to your product, but I don't understand why anyone would buy into this. Do we post our shopping lists? Do we post our diaries? Should it interest anyone at all that I wish I could afford the full version of Maya? If I'm going to advertise for someone, I'd wish to be paid.

I don't think of it as advertising.  I think of it as someone wishing somebody would buy them an item they're wishing for.

I buy people items off their wishlist all the time.  If I like their artwork a lot, I'll buy them something from their wishlist as my way of thanking them for showing their art and the work they put into it.  It's nothing personal behind it.  Just granting a wish here and there.

If I don't like someone's art, I don't bother looking at their wishlist.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

3Dsmacker ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 7:49 AM

Incentive! The source of all progress!

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 2:58 PM

I use the wishlists alot to buy gifts for my friends.
Oh, and don't forget gifts for the talented freebie creators who aren't merchants :)

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 6:42 PM

and just to say, it's the same as any wishlist on any other store site, like amazon or think geek.  when holidays or birthdays roll around, friends and relatives can see your list and get you something on it.

EricJ ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 8:17 PM

Quote - Do we post our diaries?

Ever seen a blog? I'd say the answer to that is a resounding yes.

The wish list is also a good place to put things that you can't buy at the time but don't want to forget about. It's also handy for people to buy christmas and birthday gifts.

Paloth ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 12:56 AM

Personally, I prefer MSWord for my personal papers and notes. I don't read blogs, but I know how popular they are -- though I suspect blogs are more popular with the writers than the readers for the most part. I realize that wish lists aren't exclusively a Renderosity brainchild. It just seems like people with their hat out, which is particularly odd when the sum total of the wishing adds up to something like 60$. Am I too proud to put my hat out? Is it the thought of the hat remaining empty or a possible lump of coal that holds me back? Maybe I'll start a blog about it.

vilian ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 3:18 AM

Quote - It just seems like people with their hat out, which is particularly odd when the sum total of the wishing adds up to something like 60$

I wish I had $60 to just spend on Poser toys... Seriously. I'm slowly getting to creating PayPal account, but even with that I won't be able to spend more that $8 a month - and only with no more important expenses, which is almost impossible. $60 wishlist may be funny for you, but for some may be one of their more important dreams/goals.

I was completely paralyzed when I got a gift straight from my wishlist. It's a shocking experience for someone like me, who always thinks is not worthy of other people's attention and/or care. After first shock I was so happy that I just went crying ^^' - yup, silly me ;)

Outdated gallery over at DeviantArt

Fics at FanFiction.net and Archive of Our Own (AO3)

kobaltkween ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 11:23 AM · edited Wed, 18 July 2007 at 11:24 AM

it's not having your hat out any more than brides registering at Lord & Taylor or Bed, Bath & Beyond.  or new parents registering for a baby shower.  it's just letting people know what you want so they don't feel bad when you go, "oh.  oh, THANK you for the...." when you get something you'd never want in a million years as a gift.  and also so they don't drive all over and go crazy shopping for the "perfect" gift.    you're not asking the world to give you something.  you're letting the world know what you want, and maybe the people who are close to you will get something on it.

i wish my dad had a wishlist somewhere.  every father's day, birthday and christmas i wrack my brains for what to get him.  he has obvious likes: sf and fantasy novels, technology and running.  but he only buys running shoes when he wants (and i certainly couldn't determine what fits best for him), he buys just about every book he wants as it comes out (book storage is a sore point with both my parents), and he buys just about every piece of technology he wants as he becomes interested in it and budgets for it.  this father's day i gave up and gave him a gift certificate from Newegg.com. 

while my granddad was alive he was even worse.  i don't think i managed to get him one gift that quite suited him, though he always seemed to appreciate it. 

conversely, i find my boyfriend easy to buy for,  but he needs... guidance when it comes to gifts for me.  i find it strange because he knows my tastes well.  he's actually the only one for whom i have a public wishlist here.

i'm betting there's a lot of girlfriends and wives who point their significant others here, or to daz gift certificates.

vilian, you're one of the more popular denizens in poserverse.   you're always nice and sweet, and you come up with great artwork wicked fast.  and you seem (to my observations at least) to make friends very easily.   i'm not a bit surprised that you receive gifts from friends.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 3:58 PM

I've got loads of gifts over the years. And given quite a few as well. I like the wishlist thing a lot. I use it both as a sort of "bookmark this" thing, but I do add those items to the public wishlist in the hope that someone some day would like to buy it for me :o)

I got quite a few birthday presents here from people I only vaguely know. That's one of the things I love about this place :o)
Actually it was only yesterday someone used their $5 gift certificate here to buy ME a gift. I thought that was pretty awesome!

(oh you do know you've all got a $5 gift certificate as a "WOOT The New Look worked" pressie, right? Look in your Gift Certificates tab in your account here)

Now let me go add some more $5 items to my wishlist ;o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 4:01 PM

I like the wishlist....reminds me I need to put STUFF on it...lol   I have used it to buy items for folks and have had folks buy stuffage for me so I too think it's useful.

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 5:20 PM

Hmmmmm

Do you think if i post a big wish list.. then a couple of nudey, possibly fetish orientated pictures on bebo... i might get my wishlist fulfilled?

drky xxx

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 11:55 PM

Depends on how many philanthropists with fetishes there are.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.