Sun, Oct 6, 6:54 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Poser 7 render settings

Propschick ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2007 at 9:37 PM · edited Tue, 27 August 2024 at 9:39 AM

I have a question about Poser 7. i have installed and uninstalled it twice now and gone back to p5 for the simple fact that I'm having a hell of a time rendering with it.  In poser 5 I can do my renders pretty quick but in p7 everything seems to lag out real bad and takes a long time to get going. Any good settings ideas that keep good quality but speed things up some? Im really just about to uninstall again....any any any help would be appreciated or any pointers!

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2007 at 10:30 PM

ray-tracing on, ray-traced shadows, map size 1024, AO unchecked, 4 bounces, irradiance 50%, 6 pixel samples, 0.2 shading rate, bucket size 32, post filter size 1, texture filtering off, normals forward, et al.

Morgano ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2007 at 10:37 PM

Do you want to show what your typical render settings are, please?   I take it that you are using Firefly in both.   It should work the same way in both. 

But, another thing:  I've never had a problem (of that sort) with 7, but 6 was hopeless, to begin with.   It came with an instruction to check for hardware drivers - so I did.   Nothing was found, but Poser 6 couldn't render anything for me.   Just before launching a home-made ICBM towards Curious Labs (as they were), I ran a new check for drivers.   That time, there were new drivers and they fixed the problem.

You shouldn't have to re-install Poser to fix anything.   I know it's a common recommendation around here, but it's like saying, "Dirty windows?    You need a new house!"

I found P6 faster than P5 and P7 about the same as P6.  

Do your P7 renders complete very slowly, or do they bomb out?

Propschick ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2007 at 10:52 PM

I never said I reinstalled it to fix anything- will try those settings. Thanks.

Morgano ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2007 at 11:01 PM

*I never said I reinstalled it to fix anything

*OK.   I'm not quite sure what your uninstalls were for, in that case.   Best of luck, anyway.

Web-Hunter ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 5:25 AM

With the Render-settings, which measure "Miss Nancy" suggests there, you get a result, which can tempt those the joy in Poser.

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 8:47 AM

Morgano, I was switching between versions and Ive been continually changing my mind about Poser 7. So I removed it and tried it again months later. Im sure there are many poser users who know what i mean. Anyhow, back on the track. Gonna try some of these suggestions.

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 9:52 AM

Miss Nancy ? I am not seeing these settings you mentioned anywhere...just a few of them. This is under render settings right ?

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 10:03 AM

file_384416.jpg

This is what im looking at

stormchaser ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 10:24 AM

For a good, basic render I use these settings. 
If I'm going for detail I'll turn off texture filtering & have the min shading rate at 0.01. At this point the render goes way slower, but with great results!

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 10:32 AM

Well i need quicker. I just tried the first settings to the best of my ability and its been rendering for 10 minutes now. With no background. I need to make this happen in about 2 minutes or less like it does in poser 5 with decent quality.

stormchaser ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 10:35 AM

2 minutes!! Forgive me, but what type of render are you after?

stormchaser ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 10:42 AM

This is what I use to test a scene, it's quick & looks good enough to give you an idea of what's what.

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 10:42 AM

I dont understand? I just make the figures without backgrounds in poser. Yes, Ive had high quality renders in 2 minutes with Poser 5.  i dont understand why poser 7 is giving me such difficulties.

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 10:47 AM

Will try that out now.

stormchaser ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 10:47 AM

If you're using pretty much the same render settings then there's definitely a problem somewhere. Have you had trouble with Poser 7 before?

SYNTRIFID ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 10:52 AM

One odd thing I have noticed personally is that transmapped hair takes longer to render in P7 than it did in P5, but the dynamic strand based hair seems to render quicker in P7 than P5.

Hey! His nose is dry! ... Someone should lick it,  just in case. - Diego

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 10:57 AM

Well its been 10 minutes and still going :(

stormchaser ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 10:57 AM

I've never used P5 so I'm afraid I can't make any comparisons. To me, Poser 7 renders fasters than 6. Mind you, I'm running on a dual core now so that speeds things up as well.

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 10:58 AM

Well, if you read my original post, I havent used Poser 7 much.

stormchaser ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 10:58 AM

Propschick - Are you using the same scene for these renders, or is it slow for any that you use?

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 11:00 AM

Any

stormchaser ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 11:02 AM

Is the render bar ahead of what has actually progressed in the render?

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 11:03 AM

No, seems exactly the same. It's hanging on the end of the bar too.

stormchaser ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 11:06 AM

Mmm, doesn't make any sense this one. If it was the other way round then I could possibly understand. 
Have any settings been changed in the material room?

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 11:08 AM

I havent touched the material room. i just reinstalled poser 7 in exchange for Poser 5 yesterday.

stormchaser ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 11:13 AM

OK, you say this happens with any render. Were your scenes made in P5 or have you also made some in P7 since the reinstall?

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 11:14 AM

I am doing the same thing I did in poser 5.

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 11:18 AM

Would using the p4 render settings make a difference?

stormchaser ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 11:20 AM · edited Wed, 01 August 2007 at 11:20 AM

I've never used the P4 renderer myself but I know some people still like to use it. 
I guess at this point there's no harm in giving it a go.

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 11:39 AM

Well that didnt turn out so hot. That just made poser 7 crash rotflmao

stormchaser ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 11:45 AM

I'm no expert, but your Poser 7 does soung buggy.
Hopefully one of the experts on here will be able to give you some proper advice. I'm sorry I can't help.

destro75 ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 12:24 PM

Propschick, what sort of system are you running? Do you have at least 2GB of RAM? A fairly fast processor? Lots of hard drive space?

These are considerations, since Poser loves to consume system resources.

If you have ample resources, here is what I would suggest you do.

1. Go to the basic settings tab, and pull the slider all the way to the left.
  2. Render from those settings
  3. Move the slider up and render again.
  4. Repeat until you get to a view you like, or until Poser can't handle it anymore.
  5. Use the settings on the last working render to adjust the Advanced settings.

From the settings you posted, I would increase the Bucket Size, and the Min Displacement Bounds, unless you have a specific reason for having such a high displacement setting. Considering you mentioned you haven't touched the Mat Room, I'll assume you aren't doing any displacement. In that case, set the Min Bounds to a number like 1.000, to stop the render engine from trying to make those calculations unnecessarily.

HTH!

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 3:15 PM

As ridiculous as this sounds, I found that my antivirus and antispyware programs I was using was causing an issue with poser. So for now on, I have to shut all that shit down before rendering. Who would have known? I didnt realize this, by my antivirus was being a major resource hog.

i finally got my 2 minute render time back. Woooooohoooooooo

destro75 ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 4:42 PM

Heh, these days, anti-virus/anti-spyware has become as much a nuisance as the crap it's supposed to be fighting.

Congrats on your success!

stormchaser ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 5:56 PM

Propschick - Nice to know you got it sorted. I've been told it is a major resource hog, I just didn't think of it causing this problem.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.