Fri, Sep 20, 4:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Where can I learn more about shaders in Poser?

asrailight ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 5:26 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:48 AM

Ok, so I understand that shaders are supposed to be important for realistic textures in Poser. The problem is that I can't seem to find any tutorials or instructions out there on how to use them more effectively. Even Google brings up almost nothing.

So...where can I learn more about shaders? Are there any tutorials out there on how to create/use them?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 5:31 PM

Best thing you can probably do is to wait for BagginsBill to come out of his house, murder him and eat his brain.  ;)

Seriously, though, BB has a number of great threads over at RDNA.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

kalon ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 6:01 PM · edited Wed, 01 August 2007 at 6:03 PM

Here are some tutorials, plus explanations of what each node does

http://www.castleposer.co.uk/my_tutorials.html

But the consumption of BagginsBill's brain is probably the best method.

kalonart.com

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 7:01 PM

LOL

I guess there's quite a few people who'd like some more introductory shader tuts.

So, let me get right on that.

John Rickard's Castle Poser site is excellent, but its actually more intermediate than beginner. He does a great job of explaining the basics of a lot of the nodes, with interesting examples of things you can do with them. But there's nothing on super basic stuff, like how to use the built-in diffuse and specular effectively, and when to NOT use those and use individual specialized diffuse and specular nodes instead.

So I think I'll start with those. I'll post them at the Node Cult at RDNA (my shaders-only forum!). Right now there's only intermediate or expert stuff in there. But you can still whet your appetite by reading some of those posts.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 7:02 PM

Attached Link: The Node Cult

Forgot the link.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

kalon ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 7:03 PM

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

kalonart.com

Anniebel ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2007 at 2:31 AM

Thanks for these I need basic stuff can't get my head around it at all.

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

asrailight ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 8:38 PM

Thank you! What I really needed was a starting point, and this will help a lot.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 07 August 2007 at 7:32 AM

Working on it :) I find it really hard to stick to basics and remember to assume you know next to nothing. It is taking me longer to write "Chapter 1" than it take me to make 30 shaders. Stay tuned ...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.