Sat, Sep 21, 3:00 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Infrared (IR) Photography Thread

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 10:42 AM

file_382506.jpg

Yeah, it had the look. ;'] It is harder to see reduced, but the top one doesn't have any NR and the bottom is a full strength NeatImage treated scene.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 12:17 PM

Attached Link: article

Joseph Levy is the featured photog for this month on IRbuzz. Take a look, his color postwork is really something.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 6:35 PM

Thanks for the link, I think.  More photoshop exploration ahead.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 9:13 AM

file_383108.jpg

You're welcome. Here are some dramatic color channel swapped clouds from a day or so ago -- shot with the B+W 93 filter.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 4:22 PM

file_383149.jpg

From a walk during my lunch hour today.

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 9:25 PM

Kingston Locktender's House in NJ on the Delaware Raritan Canal ....used the IR color channel swap (red/blue) workflow to bring back some colors.  (Hoya R72 IR filter)

Joe

babuci ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 2:44 AM

So classical IR Joe...love the pastel colors.
Kort...clouds with great forms alway interesting but capture it in IR purely fascinating. 

seeyus  keep on snapping....and posting     Tunde

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 8:46 AM

file_383287.jpg

Beautiful Joe, just beautiful. Get your modded camera back yet? Here you go Tunde, a big sky with some foliage. The colors are a bit strong compared with Joe's, but I kinda like it.

babuci ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 7:47 AM

@Kort... I like strong colors in IR, but need a good compo to it. I like Joe's soft capture too. Yours is a huge wide area with lots of open space strong contrasted colors go well. Joe's shot is more compact more close to everything ( bush building water) if it would be extreme IR colors might would be too tense. With that soft tones it is just so lovely and peacfull. Only my taste thou.

seeya  Tunde

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 12:20 PM

file_383436.jpg

I made a mirrored version of "Bound & Stacked" and thought I'd post it here in case anyone wished to see it.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 3:08 PM

Attached Link: short_ribs tutorial

file_383778.jpg

I tried short_ribs tone mapping tutorial on a few IR's. This image responded the best.  All had the problem, in varying degrees, of a shift in brightness when crossing a dark edge. It appears in the left center of this image where is crosses the mast of the boat.  It was an interesting experiment anyway.  

Mike. 

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 3:09 PM

file_383779.jpg

FYI. The image I processed.

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 3:24 PM · edited Tue, 24 July 2007 at 3:24 PM

@Kort...my modded G6 should be here hopefully tomorrow. I've Been goin thru IR withdraw...ittching to get it and see what I can do!

Hey...That Bound & Stacked is wicked!!!

@Mike, the tone mapping gave it that stylized look thats seems to be getting very popular.

You can sometimes get an effect that closely matches that by experimenting with the Shadows/High-light settings in Photoshop. (it doesn't  work all the time...depends on the image!)

Joe

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 3:50 PM

file_383782.jpg

Thanks Joe. And you are right about the Shadows/Highlight tool. I've found it helps to use it to lighten the shadows a lot, then get the darkeness back using a Multiply layer. I tried using this photo, the top being the original. I guess it is a good example of a photo that it didn't work too well with, lol.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2007 at 5:33 AM

@joe,kort  good info.  I played a bit with the shadow/highlight but no matter how I adjusted the sliders the photomatix logo would not come up.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2007 at 10:05 AM

LOL! ;'P

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2007 at 12:34 PM · edited Wed, 25 July 2007 at 12:35 PM

file_383856.jpg

I rather like the way this one turned out even though I am not thrilled with the sign posts and cars. But you take what you can get. Shot during a lunchtime walk the other day. That is a crescent moon up in the sky.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2007 at 6:30 PM

file_383877.jpg

What sign post and cars? lol  The folliage came out great.

Had some great light and clouds and luck this morning on the intercoastal.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2007 at 10:44 AM

I'll say! Man, those colors are perfect! (IMHO)

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2007 at 10:53 AM

Woohoo!!!!!!

G6 arrived yesterday...been experimenting and seeing how different it is without using a filter now.....no more tripod and slow shutter....well unless I want to that is!

Here one from this mornin'....backyard SuperMacro IR (BTW the G6's 360 degree LCD comes in REAL handy for this low ground, funky angle type shots)

Joe

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2007 at 12:25 PM

file_383956.jpg

Sweet! Congrats Joe, that looks AWSOME! What do you think guys, should I waste space in my gallery with this one? That is the crescent moon in between the tree branches.

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2007 at 1:32 PM

Kort, the color is somethin else...maybe I shoulda went for the ehhanced color mod....whoa!

I love the shot...i find that bit of the building is a slight distraction (to my eye), But that  wispy tree more than makes up for it!  

I just can't get over the color...wow!!!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2007 at 2:31 PM

Thanks Joe. Nuthin I could do about the building and still get the moon in the right spot. Not sure if I can clone it out professionally enough either. About the color, I see you have some color in yours. Play around with the white balance setting and see what you get. Then take it into your photo editor and enhance the colors. This is another example of a R/B channel swap, and then I selected portions of the image and adjusted the hues slightly.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Sun, 29 July 2007 at 7:11 PM

Attached Link: shuly photography

Some neat stuff, luv the windmills.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2007 at 12:18 PM

file_384345.jpg

More false color fun. I decided to make the foliage actually green, and the color changes cause a bit of spotting here and there but I think it turned out OK.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 3:04 PM

file_384430.jpg

From my lunch time walk near a gas station I use NextStore. This lake was not here last year, can you believe it?!?

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 6:03 PM

Florida growth.  Rampant in my area as well. I went past a development today I know wasnt there a year ago.  Two new golf courses, several hundred homes and a bunch of condos.  Dont understand where the money comes from, just hope they have some left when they get to my 5 acres.

Cool how the fountain came out blue.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2007 at 9:40 AM

file_384477.jpg

It is crazy, isn't it? I am just waiting for the crash... Here is a closer look at the blue fountain. :')

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2007 at 12:47 PM

file_384481.jpg

Peter Wolf Toth has a gallery/museum here in Edgewater.  He has some slightly larger carvings located all over the world. [www.roadtripamerica.com/roadside/Peter-Wolf-Toth.htm](http://www.roadtripamerica.com/roadside/Peter-Wolf-Toth.htm)

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2007 at 1:02 PM

That is such a cool photo Mike. It has an almost fake quality to it that makes it seem like a stage set or even and illustration. Using NeatImage at full strength again? ;']

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2007 at 1:10 PM · edited Thu, 02 August 2007 at 1:11 PM

MIKE,  that place has photo op written all over it!   Talk about SURREAL!!!!  IR really works magic here!  Nice!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2007 at 1:40 PM

file_384483.jpg

Yep. What Joe said. I tried to see if there was any magic down in the sewers the other day, frolicking trolls or hiding mutant gator people, but no luck. I stuck my hand through a grate that had a run or two missing to take this one, and the best part ar the light reflections at the top right.

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2007 at 2:08 PM

Always got to watchout for those FT's and especially them damn HMGP's!  Can really ruin your day! Do'h! 

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Fri, 03 August 2007 at 12:26 PM

LOL to the places IR takes us, real and surreal.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 03 August 2007 at 3:04 PM

file_384594.jpg

Isn't that the truth. Here is another that I just liked, though nothing too out of the ordinary.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2007 at 9:20 AM

Attached Link: Simon Marsden

I don't know if I posted a link to this person's website yet, but his IR work is inspiring.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2007 at 9:20 AM

file_385012.jpg

A photo from a boat ride of my daughter Kyra. She was actually nodding off there. 😄

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2007 at 12:36 PM

file_385021.jpg

Thar be faux dragons and ...

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2007 at 12:40 PM

file_385022.jpg

And IRradiated vampire cats lurking aroung my property.

Just need some Simon Marsden ruins and I would be set.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2007 at 2:01 PM

LoL! A blue fountain (or two) would complete the ensemble nicely. ;']

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Fri, 10 August 2007 at 7:04 AM

This caught my eye during a walk around town....loved how the sun was backlighting  some of the leaves here.  Think IR really brought out the contrasts

Joe

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 10 August 2007 at 4:10 PM

I think it did too -- gorgeous light.

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2007 at 7:31 PM

U.S. Geological Monitoring Station in Kingston NJ....thought the NO ICE SKATING sign was a N'ice touch!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2007 at 4:06 PM

Perfect! ;']

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2007 at 8:56 AM

Attached Link: Henry Heerschap

A link to the IR photography of Henry Heerschap -- quite an impressive body of work!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2007 at 9:02 AM

file_387977.jpg

Just a little something to keep the thread going...a corner turret from the Pinewood Estate.

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2007 at 3:43 PM

Fly on a GRAPE!

Joe

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2007 at 3:53 PM

LOL, now that is an unusal subject for IR, but looks way cool!

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Tue, 18 September 2007 at 4:19 AM

file_388314.jpg

Continuing the nature theme.  I believe this is a juvenile eastern diamondback ralttlesnake that was about 20 foot from my backdoor.  I hope mama has moved to someone elses property since this guy is about 2 foot long.  I had to use the flash due to cloud cover, shade and shaking.  My apologies to the those with snake phobias.

Cool photo of the fly Joe.

Mike

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 18 September 2007 at 8:10 AM

Very cool Mike! I am glad I've yet to run across one outdoors near me, though this snake is a beauty.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.