Sat, Oct 5, 8:15 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Can this be done in Bryce?

max- ( ) posted Sat, 04 August 2007 at 3:30 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 7:16 AM

In Bryce, has anyone ever tried to link a wheel to a piston, then the piston to a second wheel so that when the first wheel turns, the piston and the second wheel also turn? Can it even be done?

"An Example is worth Ten Thousand Words"

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 04 August 2007 at 8:58 PM

I suppose. Bryce does animation. You'd just have to set the motions of each object so they look like they're in sync. I'm no expert on animation, but it shouldn't be impossible.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Angel_Natavi ( ) posted Sat, 04 August 2007 at 10:27 PM

I believe what he is talking about, is in the basic screen, with the mesh.  I do not believe it works that way.  If you linked them to a smaller control, just out of sight, and rotated that, it wouldn't work, for they would all rotate the same amount as the parent object.

In order to go forward, one must often times look to the past.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 05 August 2007 at 6:23 AM · edited Sun, 05 August 2007 at 6:24 AM
Forum Moderator

I think it can, but it takes something to get your head around it.  Here is a grab from a trial I made while working on the Flying Scotsman loco. I got as far as getting the red beam to move with two of the wheels, but time caught up with me.....

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

max- ( ) posted Sun, 05 August 2007 at 10:08 PM · edited Sun, 05 August 2007 at 10:10 PM

I managed to animate 3 wheels and 3 pistons which all turn just by rotating the first wheel.  Is it possible to post my animation in here?  What format does it need to be in? anyone know?

casey42 ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 9:56 AM

you could post it on MySpace and post a link here, but there is also an animations freebies section that you could put the link in.

casey42 ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 9:59 AM

This one was done in Studio and assembled in Windows Movie Maker.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=8846924

max- ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 2:37 PM

Well guess what!  I just put together a 5 wheel / 5 rod machine all rotating and sliding in sync just by turning the first wheel... But when I ran the animation everything started getting crazy, so I spent an hour trying to clear all keyframes to start fresh with my perfect first-frame setup, but it kept getting out of whack the moment I advanced the frames.  Why can't there be a 'CLEAR ALL KEYFRAMES AND START OVER' button?  Is that too much to ask for?  Anyway, I gave up this whole project in disgust... I already wasted too much time on it. 

thlayli2003 ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 4:40 PM

Do a google search for 'Bryce Easter Eggs'. There should be a list of keyboard shortcuts that will be helpful for you.  They are not listed in the manual.  The list was made a while ago, but i think most of them still work.

I also believe there is a short tutorial about linking pistons and wheels.  Maybe at  DAZ.

There are many cool things that can be done with linking in Bryce.  You can also do searches for 'linking in bryce" or some variation.

max- ( ) posted Tue, 07 August 2007 at 9:34 AM

Actually I succeeded in making quite an elaborate linked machine.... It's the animation keyframes that is the problem now.  I can't clear the old keyframes.  Even when I copy the whole machine to a fresh new file, the old ' motion paths ' stay with it and I cant get rid of them in order to start a new animation  run.

brycetech ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2007 at 9:58 PM

to clear all keyframes
stand on your head and while drinking a picture of beer upside down thru a straw, 
then hold shift/alt/ctrl and click on the "-" sign next to the key in the animation palette.  This will delete all keyframes in the current scene at one time.

There is no undo (as far as I know) for this tho..so use it only if you mean to.

:)
BT

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.