Sun, Oct 6, 6:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: OT: free Windows Game development tool from Softimage

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2007 at 2:34 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 7:45 AM

Attached Link: MOD TOOL

Not  poser related at all but Softimage ( makers  of XSI)  has released a new  free game dev  program  for those so inclined

When a 3D mesh becomes a righteously defended personification of your personal desires It has become an IDOL and YOU have become its worshipper,slave and servant
-Tain-

My website

YouTube Channel

tom271 ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2007 at 9:33 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this mod tool

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

aeilkema ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2007 at 4:03 AM

Just a note..... **it's a FREE 3D modeling and animation package, for non-commercial use, that plugs right into Microsoft XNA Game Studio Express and Valve Half- Life 2.

**In other words fun to look at an play with, but if you do commercial stuff or don't own HL2 or don't know how to work with XNA it's pretty much worthless.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2007 at 6:21 AM · edited Wed, 15 August 2007 at 6:29 AM

Quote - Just a note..... **it's a FREE 3D modeling and animation package, for non-commercial use, that plugs right into Microsoft XNA Game Studio Express and Valve Half- Life 2.

**In other words fun to look at an play with, but if you do commercial stuff or don't own HL2 or don't know how to work with XNA it's pretty much worthless.

Hmm........ I  wouldnt  call it "worthless" Any more than one would consider the MAYA PLE Worthless

Is DAZ studio "Worthless" for those who dont already own ubiquitous "V4"chick and  Already know how to pose and render??

Have we become So cynical that now even a  Completely free program is dismissed
as some sort of Rip off??

its a free LEARNING TOOL  for aspiring game dev types
Game Dev is highly Competitive Field  where MANY Fail

What so wrong with a free option to find out if its something you really
want pursue  or have the talent to make it worth your  while before you spend any **money ** only to later find out its too hard, boring or just not for you .

When a 3D mesh becomes a righteously defended personification of your personal desires It has become an IDOL and YOU have become its worshipper,slave and servant
-Tain-

My website

YouTube Channel

ghelmer ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2007 at 7:21 AM

Well said wolf!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up!!  May just give it AND the MS XNA a go!!!

Both are free so why not!!??!!  Never know, I might be good at it or may even enjoy using the programs!!

Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

aeilkema ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2007 at 9:55 AM

I didn't say it's worthless.... it's only worthless in certain situations which I clearly specified, you're completely blowing what I said out of perspective and turning what I said in to something else.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

destro75 ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2007 at 10:43 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the heads-up wolf!

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2007 at 10:21 PM

Holy @#$%...you didn't mention it's over 400 meg!...;) well, free is free...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Thu, 16 August 2007 at 12:58 AM

pakled: ...except for the bandwidth and time. ;)

all: People, remember that it is hard to get a gist of a person's inflection from typed-in words.  Everyone's entitled to an opinion - and it doesn't have to agree with yours.  Some find a thing useful where others find no such thing.  It'd be nice to see a thread that doesn't digress into the gutter. :P

Let's stay civil.  Boy, I know that it's easy to get all flustered and defensive.  Even the most cursive remarks can be taken extremely out of content or appear to be more offensive than intended.  I've been in the howling flame wars in the distant past and it is not worth the indigestion, heartburn, and damaged ego.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 16 August 2007 at 12:43 PM

not to worry. Honestly, I'm not complaing. If it's 400 meg, that means, it's not a tinkertoy, but a real tool for real designers. 

emiticon...usually when I (and most other folks) end with ';)', it means I'm kidding around, or being ironic, or making a point in an amused way.

I don't start confrontations, and while I may look like a troll, I'm not actually a troll. The Hitchhiker's Guide classifies me as 'mostly harmless'..;)

you've done us a service, for which we thank you.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Thu, 16 August 2007 at 1:20 PM

See.  My reply to 'all' was geared towards the slowly erupting feud between wolf359 and aeilkema, not you, pakled, in any way. :D (big smile to indicate embarrassment).  And these seem to be happening in many threads - the Poser Pro thread is a prime example.

Expressing one's point of view or providing rectifying or clarifying information is worthwhile.  We should not suppress alternative views or information.  But it would be nice if it were expressed and taken in less embattling ways. :)

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

Cage ( ) posted Thu, 16 August 2007 at 1:51 PM

Wow, I've been confused.  I thought  ;)   was sarcasm and  :-P  was "boy, that was a silly thing to say, wasn't it?"  Have I been mixed up?  

One might also look into Game Maker, which is a smaller download and free, although not compatible with the professional tools.  GM supports 3D games as well as 2D....

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

infinity10 ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2007 at 1:41 AM · edited Fri, 17 August 2007 at 1:43 AM

I see that in order for me to use this little game dev item to play the resulting game on my windows machine, I need:
Visual Studio 2005 Express
Service Pack 1 for Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2005 Express Editions
XNA Game Studio Express 1.0 Refresh
XNA Framework Redistributable 1.0 Refresh
Uh... doh.. seeing stars... backs away

Eternal Hobbyist

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2007 at 9:38 PM · edited Fri, 17 August 2007 at 9:40 PM

sorry..it was the quote from my post that threw me..;)
;) is sarcasm?  uh oh...6 years of postings here...I mean it more as
'I'm having fun, are y'all in on the joke?..;), or :), or x|, or whatever...

Cage ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2007 at 10:44 PM

*"'I'm having fun, are y'all in on the joke?..;)"

*Wow, I think I need a lexicon for emoticons.  I've always thought the ;)  was kind of a sly wink, just sarcasm, like I said.  I thought 

;) = Duh!
:-P = D'Oh!

Or some such.  Hmm.  I'm probably completely wrong. 

Sorry to have butted in with the OT, but thank you for the clarification.  

😊 

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

moogal ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2007 at 5:52 PM

Take a look at Awakening2, only $68 US.

Robust lighting Good lighting is crucial in building realistic virtual worlds. Awakening's lighting utility is powerful.
Lightmap support inside Awakening supports Ray Tracing, Radiosity, Smoothing, Mirror, Caustics, Alpha Test, etc. Other software rarely has built-in pre-compute lighting , so you must export to other programs, which takes more time and money. Full animation support You can animate almost anything in your scenes, including 3D objects, lights, materials, cameras etc. Skinning Mesh Animation is useful for characters. Other software usually doesn't support animation, or provide simple animation at best. Awakening's Animation System is easy & powerful. User-friendly physics system You get automatic collision-detection and easily achievable realistic walk-thru's in 3D worlds.
Other software rarely has physics systems. Efficient Visibility Testing By setting up portals & section, you can build big 3D worlds with flowing real time rendering!
Other software rarely support this technology. Flexible Shader Text support DXEffect Shader support lets you deeply control rendering, make photorealisticl realtime 3d images!  Particular Blur Rendering Particular Blur Rendering increase image quality, let your realtime 3D scene looks more like a movie. Compact web3d player Compact web3d plugins for embedding into Firefox & IE. It lets you show 3d scenes in web pages. It's only 374K (569K for IE); compared to other softwares always being more than 2M. It save waiting time for downloading.

Sorry, just a little cut'n'paste to save time...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.