Mon, Sep 30, 1:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / The MarketPlace Wishing Well

Welcome to the The MarketPlace Wishing Well Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

The MarketPlace Wishing Well F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:40 pm)

Have an idea for a MarketPlace product? Would you like to let the MarketPlace Merchants know?
This is the place!

Make sure you check The Product Showcase Forum and The Product Showcase Art Gallery.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Scrunchies

grichter ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 11:02 AM · edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 1:17 PM

Scrunchies (I think that is how you spell it). Girls with long hair will wear a scrunchy on their wrist and when they want to get their hair out of the way they take it off their wrist and gather their hair and trap it in a ponytail; There are a number of ponytail hair items for sale here and elsewhere. If somebody is up to the challenge of making a saleable item, then I would suggest for simplicity the scruchy conform to a right or left wrist, with instructions on how to change the parent to the ponytail.Then let the user mess with scaling etc to fit the appropriate hair peice. Verses trying to have it conform to all the various ponytail products being sold. That latter could be a nightmare. But please include the texture maps, as they can be in sold colors, with lace trim etc so us purchasers can easily modify the texture to suit the clothing we have dressed V3, V4, Laura, A3, etc in for the scene being created.

Thanks in advance to anyone who considers making a saleable product like this.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

jan_scrapper ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2007 at 9:47 AM

Good Suggestion!!!  I, too, would like that!!!

Harrgunn ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2007 at 3:39 PM

Hi,

Read this some time ago and agree may fill a void.  I've been busy with some other projects, but this is on my list.    Drop me a note in bout a week if no activity here. 

I've already asked my wife for some of her's and had to answer many questions. 

nomuse ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2007 at 3:06 PM

Heh. I should give you my working files. I went the cloth sim route. Jury still out on whether that is an optimal solution for the problem. Have some scrunchcie-like models now but they have problems that I believe disqualify them from being useful.

Harrgunn ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2007 at 3:46 PM

Attached Link: The Scrunchie page, Click here to see.

Spent lots of time with my wife's scrunchie to do this.  She is still questioning what I'm doing with it.  Upon the examination the scrunchie appears to do four things: 1- Flatten 2- Fold 3- Twist And for lack of a better description, 4- Crunch.

Please use this  link to view all the pics and work done as far.   Will make available to some for testing upon request and consideration.  Will work in poser only just now.    

Here is a sample of what's done so far.

The Scrunchie

nomuse ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2007 at 4:11 PM

Looking good. What I did is re-affirm my memory and instinct with a quick look at a sewing guide. Scrunchie is made thus; cut a rectangle and sew it into a tub. Flip. Thread an elastic shorter than the tube and tie the ends together. Hand-stitch the edges of the tube together to make a torus. The elastic pulls the fabric in, "scrunching" it. For extra points, if you have fine hair you might twist the finished scrunchie into a figure-eight, creating two connected loops. Also, instead of a single rectangle of fabric you can use two, laid on top of each other and stitched down the two side-seams lengthwise. Then you get a bicolor scrunchie with one fabric more-or-less inside and the other outside. Me being the kind of geeky person I am (plus I have an abhorance towards manual UVmapping), I started with a torus and a ring and ran a cloth simulation to scrunch it. This sort of works, but what that method really needs is to bend a cylinder into a tube, then after welding it, it can be scrunched as above. Another advantage; you can export more than one stage of the sim run and make a "more scrunch" morph for the final prop. And this is why it takes me forever to finish a model!

Harrgunn ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2007 at 4:35 PM

file_379764.jpg

Fold over into Figure 8.  

Had shivers when read that.  But went to the board and thought a moment.  The core model can be done easy enough,  though morphs for this one would be a chore.  Nothing is imposible.

nomuse ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2007 at 4:53 PM

You want a rigging nightmare? Imagine a way to twist it like that in real-time!

fosterscreations ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 6:11 PM

This is so awesome I can't wait to get this item.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.