Sun, Oct 6, 11:14 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Views counter doesn't see non-members

Rykk ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 9:16 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 9:11 AM

Ever since the changeover to the CSS based format here, I've noted a VERY sharp drop in viewings of my works and have heard many others here like Joe Presley (joefraq) mention the same thing.

Today, I was in a work friend's office and we went to Rendo on his PC to look at my gallery. As he was clicking on the thumbs, I noticed that the view counters didn't change to reflect his look at any of the ones he clicked. I went back to my office and tried it myself after logging off - same result! Or lack thereof! We just went to Rendo and did a member search for my nick when we were in his office and never logged on. Same thing seems to happen if someone that is either logged off or is a non-member uses the supplied link that is at the bottom of our gallery pages. No matter how many they view, none of their viewings is registered.

It LOOKS like the view counter doesn't recognise when a non-member or logged off member views an image! This would explain a LOT as I couldn't believe well over 50% of the members here left as a result of the change. This has really put a damper on my enthusiasm for Renderosity over the last however long it's been since the changeover. Not to mention caused a lot of worry that my efforts over the last year haven't been "up to snuff" and that maybe I had shot my wad and the best of my artistic inspiration had come and then gone. Or that my work seemed more noted at other art gallery sites.

Is this what is happening???? If so, WHEN WILL IT BE FIXED????? Sorry for yelling - it has bugged me and a number of other folks that display here for quite some time and always seemed odd that the drop was so immediate and so drastic. It gives a very inaccurate guage of the "merit" of a piece if it doesn't count a lot of the true views of the image.

RIck

DreamWarrior ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 10:52 PM

Moved to Community Center forum, as this is the place where you'll get the attention the topic deserves.

Barb

My crafts - My Freebies - My Store - Delightful Arts

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 1:27 PM · edited Tue, 28 August 2007 at 1:49 PM

Just like the galleries log the FIRST time a logged-in user views an image but not any other times, it does log the FIRST time a VISITOR views an image but after that its not counted.  This is to help keep the image views "true" per member/non-member. 

To go into more detail of how this works, each member is assigned a "userid" number and each image is assigned an image ID number so if UserID=5 views image ID =234 then its counted one time and no matter how many times UserID=5 comes back to view that image it only counts it one time.  And all visitors are assigned the UserID=0 (since they aren't a member and don't have a true UserID) so once a visitor clicks on an image its counted and won't be counted anymore for UserID=0 to that particuliar image ID.

vince3 ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 4:05 PM

i think my eyeballs just switched places there, after reading that Stacey.

that's interesting though as i had always thought that some of my higher views ones were people going back to look at it again at a later date.

does that include the ones that were in the most viewed ever thing? in that they may of had 50,000 individual members view their image.

vince3 ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 4:09 PM

i can't find that now, i thought it was one of the charts, but the "most viewed" now is just showing the last 45 days.

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 4:17 PM

There is a most viewed ever. Just go to the Galleries and Click the "MOST VIEWED" link then you can switch it to either last 45 days or "of all time"

And Yes only one view counted per actual individual view.  It doesn't continue counting if the same member comes back to it again and again

vince3 ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 5:24 PM

HAHA!! 

ok that'll teach me to be such a scan-reader (never reads the fine print either)

thanks Stacey.

is there a way to see the very first render or picture that was ever put up on Rendo', or is that No.1 most viewed image it?( the first ever render )

Vince is now entering "nosey mode" so please to be fastening your seatbelts.

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 5:26 PM

Hmmm. I might can find it.. Or at least the one that has been there the longest because the first one actually uploaded could have been deleted or removed by the member since then. I'll see

vince3 ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 7:21 PM

cool!! thanks Stacey.

would like to see some of the first stuff put up here and see if any of the names from back then are still around and rendering, and how they may have progressed too.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2007 at 8:17 PM

So they are unique views. Cool!

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

roobol ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2007 at 3:28 AM

They are apparently more than unique. If a thousand different vistors view an image, only the first is counted and all the others will be ignored, since they are also UserID=0. Not so cool.

http://www.roobol.be

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2007 at 12:48 PM

Well roobol if it wasn't that way then members could potientally cause the numbers to be way off by logging out and just going as a visitor over and over again and increase their view counts by way more than what is true.  We don't allow non members to just browse the gallery anyways, they have to be sent the link by a member and they can only see that members gallery so really there shouldn't be a whole lot of non members viewing. And really they shouldn't be counted as seperate view counts as IMO it should be restricted to registered members only.

roobol ( ) posted Thu, 30 August 2007 at 1:48 AM

I know, Stacey, I know. That's why I send people to my web site rather than to Renderosity.

http://www.roobol.be

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.