Sun, Oct 6, 1:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: OT: Carrara 6

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2007 at 3:30 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 2:02 AM

Anyone any opinions on this in comparison to Vue6Inf??

I noticed on DAZ's compaerison chart they haven't done Vue any favours by leaving out some of the things it can do the same as Carrara like primitive modelling and Booleans for example!!
A bit naughty on their part, so I'm wondering what else they might not be being truthful about!

Any opinions gratefully received!!

TIA!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2007 at 5:38 AM

I suggest going to the Eon Product page
and the DAZ Carrara product page and do your own comparison of features

I would guess that carraras Modeling tools are far superior to Vue's'"Modeling"
options but frankly most buy Vue for its awesome render engine  NOT to create original 3D Models
wings 3D is a good free modeler

cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2007 at 6:10 AM

Quote - I noticed on DAZ's compaerison chart they haven't done Vue any favours by leaving out some of the things it can do the same as Carrara like primitive modelling and Booleans for example!!
A bit naughty on their part, so I'm wondering what else they might not be being truthful about!

This is how comparison charts work.

Of the four items they haven't ticked for Vue, the first three are essentially padding, the last one being the only true feature.

They also don't seem to know that Poser 7 has Unicode support and customisable keyboard shortcuts (you have to edit a file rather than being provided with a GUI).

No mention of scripting which is IMHO a big advantage for both Poser, Vue, and C4D.

All in all, it's a good comparsion chart, as you have to know the other programs well to know (or care) about the padding items or things they haven't mentioned.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2007 at 8:01 AM

Well for now... i have Vue6 ESP!! and it is much better in importing etc etc then CAR6 in ALL ways...
not only poser files but LWO obj etc etc... CAR6 stops working on loads of things while importing...
Im testing the 2 for myself but v6ESP is winning time after time ..so V6INF should rock..

Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

agiel ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2007 at 8:56 AM

They have a disclaimer saying that the chart is based on information publicly available from vendors at the time, yet they leave out things like SSS/Translucency, PZ3 import, text modeling or LWO import. it doesn't look like they spent a lot of time on Vue 6 Infinite own comparison charts.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2007 at 8:59 AM

Hahaha i just saw it myself ...Vue has No primitives 😉 ... so silly making C6 looking good with stupid charts like that.... dumb thing to do.

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2007 at 9:49 AM

Quote - They have a disclaimer saying that the chart is based on information publicly available from vendors at the time, yet they leave out things like SSS/Translucency, PZ3 import, text modeling or LWO import. it doesn't look like they spent a lot of time on Vue 6 Infinite own comparison charts.

It's a comparison chart.

As a marketing tool, it's supposed to make the product look good.
This is how these things are meant to work.

At least they didn't use some more obvious non sequiturs.

The comparison between the Standard and Pro versions is the only one that anyone should expect to be useful.

Meaningful and/or extensive are adjectives that are never going to apply to the comparisons to competing products.

Arraxxon ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2007 at 10:12 AM · edited Sat, 01 September 2007 at 10:14 AM

I wouldn't compare Vue and Carrara at all ...

In my opinion they don't really compare - each program can do fine things in 3D-graphics - and each got it's specialties. I own Vue 6 Infinite and Carrara 5 both.

The strength of Vue is definitely mainly landscaping and really special atmospheres - to achieve a photoreal look in landscapes. I don't believe you are able to get that close with Carrara. Carrara got it's strength in a strong 3D construction part with lots of possibilites like single 3D-modelers and a powerful renderer for certain scenes.
The texture and material possibilities in both programs are very detailed with lots of options.

They maybe left out the boolean and primitive modelling, because if you know Carrara, it got a much more powerful modeler part.
In Vue you can do some good modelling, yes, but not to the degree of a real modelling program like Hexagon or others of that kind, or Carrara's modeler offers ... the modelling options aren't really a strength of Vue in my opinion - but that's not what's it's made for.

I like Vue, for what it can do and not for what it can't do - for the other needs i have other programs.
And the easiest way, to be able to see, what you can do and achieve with Vue or Carrara, is to take a look at all the images done by users of each program. There you should be able to tell, which one suits your needs the best.

So basically the producers or sellers of those programs shouldn't show a comparison list with other programs, they should stick by only displaying a list, what it can do.

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2007 at 10:58 AM

Well, I did see Carrara being demo'd at Siggraph.  The hair was pretty cool - it may be worth upgrading just for that feature since it works well with Poser figures.  Will hair be included with the standard version is the big question.  From their chart is says yes, but some of the other big items are missing (like displacement, ocean primitive).  What I am on the fence about is waiting for Poser Pro.  I do have C4D with the hair module - I also saw a sneak view at Poser Pro at Siggraph and was impressed with it too.  

It's just another tool in my workflow - nothing will "replace" Vue.  Right now DAZ needs to be more firm on the difference between Carrara Pro and Standard and their upgrade costs. 

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2007 at 11:24 AM

***"What I am on the fence about is waiting for Poser Pro.  I do have C4D with the hair module
 - I also saw a sneak view at Poser Pro at Siggraph and was impressed with it too. "

Just FYI another C4d user asked specific questions of EF at Siggraph 07,
about "poser pro"
they confirmed that it will only offer  poser scene "hosting"
 for rendering only just like the old propack4
which means NO interaction with native cinema scene element
such as hair and cloth.
if you already own cinema your best option is  the interposer pro plugin.

cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2007 at 12:03 PM

Hmmm, well, that may push me a bit more toward Carrara.  Don't know - money's tight.  DAZ's promo is pushing the Pro version hard now.  It's working, do I really want it bad enought to go to from standard to Carrara Pro is the real question... 

One thing I did notice - Carrara hair was Slooooowwww.  Great results, but you will have to wait for it to calculate how the hair falls.  It was painful to stand around and wait (my feet were killing me after walking around all day at Siggraph). 

war2 ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 9:33 AM

a far more interesting question is if c6pro can export it´s dynamic hair to vue6i.
If so it might be a nice replacement to poser in the "holy" poser-vue combination, i dont see c6pro being able to replace vue but kicking poser out the door might be possible tho, depends on how well c6pro can export to vue.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 11:33 AM

According to Patrick210(tuten) - the dynamic hair can not be exported out to any app

lam2 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 12:47 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Hi fixer and everyone, I'd like to pitch in a little from what I've got so far.
Although I own C5pro, I'm not an experienced Carrara user, so please keep that in mind.

Like someone already pointed out, C6pro and v6.5i are really very different program, so let's see...

I like c6pro's renderer quite a bit.
It's really fast.

The sample image here is 1140x855, with basically out of the box setting.
No full ray tracing with 1 spot light.
Rendered in 2 and a half minutes.

Yes, it comes with bugs like many other new software as we should expect at this point.
But, it's much better than the initial v6i final release, let me tell you.

The landscape in c6pro can be quite beautiful, but then as we saw in the other thread in this forum with chippwalters' terrain creation, v6.5i is a class unto itself.

The trees in c6pro, I'm not used to it yet.
I like Vue trees far better at this point.
And the eco system to me, is  far sperior than the replicated vegetation in c6pro.
But then c6pro offers extensive tree editor.  So, I need to experiment some more.
And the close-up of the c6pro tree doesn't look as bad as Vue tree.
So, there's potential here.

The ability to pose Poser figure inside the program is great.
Personaly, this is really high point to me.
It is really easy and smooth. The open GL is working quite good.
There is some import issue with v4.1 and other figures though.
I actually prefer c6pro for figure posing than Poser itself.

Anyway, I'm glad I got c6pro. I really like the renderer.
But I would still use v6i, no question about that.

lam2 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 12:50 AM

oops! the image didn't get there.

lam2 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 1:01 AM

Hmm...there's something strange going on...

lam2 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 1:14 AM

file_386902.jpg

O.K., there is such a thing called size limit. I'm sorry about that!

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 3:35 AM

Nice pic, there's another very interesting thread about all this in the Poser forum started by Drifterlee, it's worth checking out too!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

rcr62 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 4:50 AM

Here is my 2 cents on C6pro.

*It has an extremely fast rendering (unless you add physics, then all bets are off).
*Its handling of poser content within the program (meaning the ability to re-pose) is very good
*hair is good, but since it can't export of limited use to me
*very fast viewport performance with the improved openGL
*animaiton tools are very easy to use and pretty fast, I can imagine the Non-Linear animations being extremely useful
*still pretty buggy to me, thought its speed well makes up
*gobbles up RAM like crazy when using big texture maps (one aiko, with med resolution texure maps, smaller resolution maps for a single dress, and aiko ponytail and maps - came very near to the 2 GB of ram used)
*ocean primative doesn't seem realistic looking to me (though this may still be my lack of experience with it).  A poster at Daz has explained that it is primarily for animations, and I have to agree for stills you can get a better look without the ocean primative.
*importing of pz3s is hit or miss at the moment
*95% of straight runtime importing through the content browser has worked fine for me, though others seem to be having more problems with it.
*no 64bit version, though it works in XP pro 64 (at least so far)

I model in Lightwave, so I didn't look at any of the modeling features.

Bottom line for me is that it is an extremely fast program with a few quirks to still work out.  It is probably well worth the current cost (actually its probably a steal at the current cost).  Though, it is not a Vue replacement (as some users at Daz have argued).  Ecosystems are still far superier IMHO. Environment creation in general is still much better in Vue, again IMHO.  Also, though slower, I believe the Vue render engine is more photorealistic as well. 

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor." -Desmond Tutu

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 9:28 AM

My main use for Carrara would be the non-photorealistic (NPR) render.  C4D wants over $600 for that module.  Vue has cell shading, but it's difficult to set up.  Has anyone tried a NPR render with Carrara 6? 

war2 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 10:37 AM

a pity that you cant export your characters and dynamic hair from c6pro to vue if it would have been possible i would have replaced poser in a heartbeat with c6pro and happily continued onward with vue as the main app and c6pro as my poser app, as it is it´s a no sale for me, which is a letdown since the hair editor realy looks alot,lot better then posers dynamic hair dito.

lam2 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 12:07 PM

rcr62 summed it up nicely, and I agree.
the fixer, thank you for mentioning the other thread in Poser forum, I've been following that too.

agiel ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 3:35 PM

Peggy - I kept Carrara 5 Pro around precisely for the advanced NPR plugins. In particular, the control I can get on silhouettes, wireframes and overall 'cel shading' look. It is easier to set up an NPR scene in Carrara than Vue since you can do it as a global render setting instead of a per-material setting. The other side of the coin is that you may end up with issues in some areas of your scene if you have a complicated scene (global settings don't always play nice locally). It's really a matter of what kind of scene you are after. I can get away with Vue's toon shaders most of the time (even better now that Vue can handle Poser toon shaders) but I like to have Carrara available for that 10% of the time where I need something that Vue cannot provide yet (like nice object outlines or better control of wireframe rendering).

keenart ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2007 at 12:48 AM

Again, I would agree that both have good and different points.  For me the CP6 Modelers are the key, while Vue has an easy UI.  And as far as the hair goes, the plug-in Anything Grows is still a useful product.  Betas for CP6 are out for those who still want to use the plug-ins. 

http://digitalcarversguild.com/c6beta.php 

jankeen.com

EhsanA ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2007 at 11:44 AM

Vue is made for artists and Carrara made for technicians. 

keenart ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2007 at 12:20 PM

Yep! I would definitely agree, Vue’s Ecosystem is an artists dream.  But, Carrara has the Particle Generator, which can create some awesome effects, explosions, waterfalls, etc.  That is why I have both.

jankeen.com

EhsanA ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2007 at 4:01 PM

I agree, and that is exactly what I use Carrara for, and then import to Vue and fly with the imagination.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 09 September 2007 at 3:05 PM

file_387453.jpg

> Quote - My main use for Carrara would be the non-photorealistic (NPR) render.  C4D wants over **$600** for that module.  Vue has cell shading, but it's difficult to set up.  Has anyone tried a NPR render with Carrara 6? 

But its worth it for me at least

My website

YouTube Channel

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.