Sun, Sep 22, 1:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Some Advice Please

Kunshouling ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2007 at 5:40 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 1:19 AM

Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing the Carrera 6 Pro package now on offer and am wondering being short of pennies if this is a worthwhile purchase.
Currently I have been using DAZ Studio, Hexagon and Bryce and as I undrstand it C6Pro is basically a mix of these 3?
Sage advice will be most gratefully recieved

hdaggers ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2007 at 9:34 PM

I don't think anyone can answer this question but you. "Short on pennies" doesn't tell us much about what you want to do in Carrara that you can't do now.... We certainly can't tell you to go without food or rent!

I suggest you take a look at Carrara6 Standard and see if that will suit your needs. It is much cheaper than Pro and has almost all the same abilities.

Carrara will compliment Hex. It does not entirely replace Poser. You will need to download the most recent update of D/S for compatibility.

As for Bryce, I'm not sure the value of it. Carrara does very nice landscapes and skies, and has a built-in plant/tree modeller and can distribute trees across a terrain.... C also has a pretty advanced procedural shader system so it can go from realistic to abstract.

Kunshouling ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 3:02 AM

Thanks for the info, this is what I am after really the advantages of C6 over my current packages.
I find Hex and DAZ easy to use but have difficulty with Bryce trying to get the look and feel I like
"Short on pennies" basically means I can eat and stuff, but is there other things I could spend the $197 or so on? (Pro seems cheaper at the moment during offer time)
Again thanks for time given to comment....

hdaggers ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 10:31 AM

In that case, ditch Bryce and come on over to Carrara! Hex and D/S are under continuing development and all things DAZ point to compatability between the three. I'd still recommend Standard as a cheaper option. There will be plenty there to keep you busy learning.... If you are planning to animate, Pro is the way to go.

I am using 6Pro now, and unfortunately It is pretty crash-y... on my system... doing what I'm trying to do... (ymmv). I'm a longtime user of Carrara and crashes are not unusual for a Carrara x.0 release. Everyone is trying the new features (direct runtime import), so everyone is immediately running into the inevitable bugs. It's not surprising.

If you can afford it now, but can wait for the first update before seriously digging in, it's worth considering. 6 looks exactly like 5, so my bet is all the C5 features are as solid as before. It's a great program in a moment of transition, so I can't recommend it short term, but I'm not too worried about it long term.

notefinger ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 10:32 AM

It wiill be great to do it all in one program.

Kunshouling ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 11:36 AM · edited Mon, 03 September 2007 at 11:37 AM

Thanks for the advice and, being an absolute addict, I think I will have to get the Pro version otherwise might end up kicking myself when it ends up at $549 when I could of got it at $197 and then having to make do with the standard version at $249!
If there had been an offer on the standard I might of taken that option but it seems DAZ are dangling an awfully big carrot in front of my nose right now!
Thanks again

Balaenanun ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 12:24 PM

I'm sure they will have a good price reduction on C6 standard when it comes out. It should be a lot cheaper than the sale price for the Pro version.

However, if you use the displacement brush in Hex, and the symmetrical modelling (lol), you won't find the same things in C6 Standard, it's only in the Pro version :/

Visit my website / Visit my Renderosity store/ Visit my Daz3d store

graylensman ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2007 at 8:16 AM

The other things in the Pro version that made me spend (company) money were the edge tools in the vertex modeler.

Kunshouling ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2007 at 5:34 PM

Thanks for the advice guys...I went and got Pro version

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.