Tue, Sep 24, 9:40 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 9:01 pm)

Subject: Toon rendering

Propschick ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2007 at 4:13 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 9:39 PM

Is there a way to render 'toon style' in poser 5?

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

geep ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2007 at 9:36 PM

Hi Propschick,

Yes, use the "Toon" Document Display Style.
Next, "Make Movie" and set the "Quality" to "Use Current Display Settings" ... ok?

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

ezuk ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2007 at 11:36 PM

I can't pretend to approach Dr. Geep's expertise, but I thought I'd mention a few other ways to produce toon images with Poser that you may want to try.

1.  Go into the material room and change your materials into toon materials.  In Poser 6 you do this by hitting the "toon material" wacro button on the right (hold down shift while clicking to convert all the material zones at once).  This will set the material zones to a toon style.  You can then render your image with the "toon line" option checked in your render options.

A few warnings with this method:  (a) unless you want black lines between every material zone, you'll have to change the toon id number by going into the advanced properties.  If you don't want a black line between two material zones, set the toon id to the same number.  If you do want the line (between a shirt and forearm, for example), make sure the numbers are different; (b) render larger than the preview window as even the "thin" toon line is too thick at this size; (c) reduce your lighting to 1 or 2 white or grey lights; (d) realize that Poser will ignore transparencies in this mode, so if you want transparency maps for your hair or clothing you'll have to try something else; (e) if you're comfortable with the material room, experiment with adjusting the light & dark color, line spread, and specular color values.

2.  Find some toon shaders and apply them in the material room.  There are several free sets available if you root around, and there are also various commercial packages available here and elsewhere.

3.  Render normally, export the result, and then use another program like Photoshop to convert your render to a toon look. 

I use Poser 6, but I'd imagine that all the methods above are available in Poser 5 as well since the material room is similar.  Good luck!

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2007 at 11:53 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?userid=407625

see also jweb's method, the first two parts of which even work in P4 AFAIK, altho there is a disclaimer saying it's for p6, due to the toon shaders in part 3.

Propschick ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2007 at 10:01 AM

Right, as i said, Im in poser 5. Wont be spending the money to upgrade any time soon ;)

Thanks- will try this.

Propschick ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2007 at 10:42 AM

Ugh, that turned out terrible. Will have to play with those settings some......

ghelmer ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2007 at 10:56 AM · edited Fri, 14 September 2007 at 10:57 AM

file_387981.jpg

Ockhams Z-Flatten python script gives a really great toon look more akin to tradional cel animation than toon shaders as toon shaders still always look 3D, if ya know what I mean?  The cool thing aout Z_Flatten(or Z-Toon) is it does the dark cartoony outline already!!

Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

ghelmer ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2007 at 11:04 AM

file_387982.jpg

Search for "**Instant Z-toon (Python)**" in freestuff!!

Another quick one!!  And FYI...  it renders super quick!!

Gerard**

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

raven ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2007 at 5:06 PM · edited Fri, 14 September 2007 at 5:08 PM

file_388017.jpg

You can add a Toon node to each material in the material room. This pic shows the node set-up, and a render using it.  Going back to P5 for this was a nightmare, no double clicking items to load them, double clicking replaced them (I forgot that!), no Wacro buttons in the material room.  Still, it's achievable, anyway :)

Click the pic for a larger image.

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2007 at 4:47 PM

Thanks, that Z-toon thing works pretty well.  I've been struggling all day trying to make Popo match NearMe's cell-shaded look.  Z-toon does the trick.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.