Sun, Oct 6, 1:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: creating morphs in C6?

anxcon ( ) posted Wed, 19 September 2007 at 1:52 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 1:23 PM

i used to create all my morphs in another app, but just playing around with my workflow a bit to see if i can cut down on some time, so looked in this direction :)

i checked for tutorials and stuff, but havent seem to found any
so anyone know a simple one to show how to create morphs?
the models i'm playing with have 2 obj files, base and target shape
so something simple to put that together in C6 =P

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Wed, 19 September 2007 at 2:42 PM

file_388459.jpg

Morph targets in Carrara are super easy. 1) in the Vetex Room, select the polygons you want to morph 2) From the Morph tab, select Create 3) Name the Morph area 4) From the Current Area pull down, select Create Target 5) Name Target 6) Push the Edit button, the effect polys turn green, distort to desired form 7) Select Validate. (or save morph target if you want) 8) Back in the Assembly Room from the morph list, select the designator and a slider appears that you can control the morph with. Have fun. It's addictive.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 19 September 2007 at 7:48 PM

unfortunately, when trying to add morphs to the apollo cr2 file, I got a slightly differing screen that doesn't allow saving new morphs onto the cr2 file. either that, or I am using it wrong. I suspect one gets the same problem with the included content, e.g. the v4.1 cr2 file.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Wed, 19 September 2007 at 9:43 PM

Hi Miss Nancy, Yes, when you are working on a .cr2 file, you cannot make new morphs. You are locked into changing the ones that already exist. The .cr2 file is boned/rigged. To create completely new morphs, you'll need to work on the actual .obj file. So, how do you do that without messing up the original? You can drag the "Model" element from the scene tree into your Browser (folder of your choice, but I'd create a new one). Back in your scene, delete the Model element from the scene tree. Now you should be left with a skeleton/bone rig. Take a trip back to your Browser window and drag the new Model back into your scene. Now when you open the model in the Vertex Room, you'll see the .obj file with all of the morphs and the windows that I show above. Next, you can go wild and then re-attach the skeleton to the model. One thing to remember - the .obj files and the pre-existing morphs are copyrighted material so they cannot be re-distributed or sold as a "new" product. Pesonally, I haven't played around with saving new morph targets off by themselves and then bringing them back onto a stock .cr2 file so I don't know how it will work. If it works, selling new morph targets that don't include the oringal morphs, cr2 file or .obj file should be legitimate. At the very least, creating a whole new personal morph set for some of your favorite characters should be a blast though. Mark

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 19 September 2007 at 11:35 PM · edited Wed, 19 September 2007 at 11:37 PM

o.k., thx fr the info, mark. you're an invaluable resource here IMVHO and I've told 'em as much. using the model element saves considerable time in regard to trying to import the reference geometry of the cr2 file. I suspected it would be like the old days with carrara and ray dream, where one would need to create poser-style morphs from the reference geometry file. however, if ya can mention this to dan et les réalisateurs françaises, it would be fab if we could create morphs just using the cr2 file. it's just possible that the method you describe may be more efficient than the poser method, but I gotta give it a try first. ¡ allez y ! I never sell anything, nor do I accept money for anything, but yer point is well-taken in regard to morphs in general, and daz morph redistribution in particular

anxcon ( ) posted Thu, 20 September 2007 at 1:00 PM

Quote - Morph targets in Carrara are super easy. 1) in the Vetex Room, select the polygons you want to morph 2) From the Morph tab, select Create 3) Name the Morph area 4) From the Current Area pull down, select Create Target 5) Name Target 6) Push the Edit button, the effect polys turn green, distort to desired form 7) Select Validate. (or save morph target if you want) 8) Back in the Assembly Room from the morph list, select the designator and a slider appears that you can control the morph with. Have fun. It's addictive.

i followed each step, but since the model i am using is 2 parts (base and target shape) in step 6 i clicked edit and load instead, and loaded the target shape, rest of steps i followed

as i understand it, that should work :S but while the vertices are in correct spots, the connections between them got placed randomly, so instead of opening/closing the window (model i'm testing this with) it looks like an abstract mess of shapes o.o

Sti ( ) posted Fri, 21 September 2007 at 12:03 AM

Yes, that should work, anxcon. I tried it successfully a few days back. Sounds like your vertices are not in the same order for those two shapes. How did you generate the base and target shapes? Did you use the correct import option (vertex primitive, NOT facet meshes)?

anxcon ( ) posted Fri, 21 September 2007 at 5:22 PM

i created the base model, and saved as obj, simple sliding window in closed position
then edited it to the "open" position, and saved as obj again
the first time, the base was done but i had to save and leave, then later created open, 2nd time around i tried it all in 1 session to be sure that nothing was changed between the 2 steps

as for importing, tried it both ways =P first time around that stuff doesnt work right off, i click random options to see effect, just to rule out difference between the modelling apps. neither worked =S

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.