Sun, Oct 6, 11:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Hot hardware setup for C6Pro

McKay001 ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2007 at 8:40 PM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 8:31 AM

Hi everyone,

I just bought C6Pro (moving up from Daz Studio) and I am considering upgrading my computer to something with a little more juice. I would like to stick with a PC and would like to stay under $6k.

Dual or Quad?
How much RAM?
Which video card?
What size of hard drive?
How many hard drives?
What options do you just have to have?

This computer is going to be pretty much just dedicated to 3D modeling and graphics work. I find that my everyday computer just gets gummed up with annoying little glitches after a while so I want a dedicated graphics computer.

Thanks for you assistance, it is greatly appreciated!

John

fpfrdn3 ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2007 at 9:20 PM · edited Sun, 16 September 2007 at 9:34 PM

Wow, thats a nice budget(under 6k?). I would get at least quad core, 4 gig of ram, an 8800 Nvidia card, 2 HDD(300gb or higher) two or three 20" LCDs or higher(3 are awesome for 3dcg and games), 64bit OS to support larger amount of ram(Vista is gaining 64bit support alot now) etc... this would be my base computer to start out with with the right budget in 3dcg, which can always be upgraded later depending on MB.

For me, the monitors and CPU would be the first things to look at. Fast video card if you want high end games and mega polygon models for OpenGL viewports etc... 

I run my very outdated computer as a dedicated 3dcg one, and found it is MUCH less hassle to work on(its not connected to internet for less services in background etc.). 

my .02 😄

jfbeute ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2007 at 12:28 AM

For that kind of money I would set up a render farm. One computer with great specs (go for Quad, 4 Gb of ram, as much hard disk space as you like [and an external backup drive] and a simple graphics card [all you need is good Open/GL]) and 4 computers with reasonable specs. Building the scene won't change (that just depends on the speed of your CPU [it will only use 1 core anyway]) but rendering will improve a lot (and you will be doing that a lot).

It will need an internet connection but make sure you keep off anything not needed, never even use a browser on your graphics box.

McKay001 ( ) posted Thu, 20 September 2007 at 5:34 PM

Interesting suggestions...

jfbeute,

I like the idea of the render farm...a lot. I had not even thought of that as an option. When I think of render farms I always had linked them to animation, which is something that I am not really interested in.

Thanks.

You too fpfrdn3. I appreciate the help. 8-)

anxcon ( ) posted Thu, 20 September 2007 at 7:58 PM

usual use of a render farm is for animations, since thousands of frames while maybe only 3-4 minutes per, adds up, and cutting the time down is always good

but depending on the render settings, a single pic can takes up to hours to render, since quality is more important to single pics than a moving animation, making a render farm nearly as useful

McKay001 ( ) posted Fri, 21 September 2007 at 1:38 PM

I rendered a piece in Daz Studio...6 spotlights...8 point lights...and around 40 objects...it took eight hours to render. As such, I think that a render farm would be very cool.

First question, is a render farm the same thing as a Beowulf cluster?
The reason I ask is because I am looking for information on the actual setup of the system.

So, I guess my next question is...Linux or Windows XP? 
Will Linux have the same tendency as Windows for database bloat?

Just initially I am thinking that Qube! would be a good que manager. Any thoughts?

bluetone ( ) posted Sat, 22 September 2007 at 9:35 PM

Linux is not supported for Carrara.  So XP for 64bit is your only choice. Of course, Carrara isn't 64bit, so that won't help you exept being able to supply your machine with more then 4G of RAM.
  I have no idea what Qube is, so I can't comment on that.

Otherwise I agree with the others that a basic fast machine with a render farm would be your best bet. (And I'm envious of your budjet!!)

Good luck and happy rendering! :D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.