Wed, Sep 18, 5:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: my frame is freezing

vallaha ( ) posted Fri, 21 September 2007 at 12:11 PM · edited Sat, 17 August 2024 at 6:52 AM

i have about 500 million ppolys in my scene and every time i click on something to change a parameter or add something to the scene my scene freezes and i have to wait about a minute for it to unfreexe. it's like what happens when you computer crashes. it's a really unpleasent experience. i think its something to do with the ram i have or is it? is there a way around this problem? i'm not waiting for things to render just to move my camera a little that'a all but even that is too much to ask. can someone help?

Powertec ( ) posted Fri, 21 September 2007 at 12:50 PM

The more RAM the better!  Sounds like you're running out of memory.

vallaha ( ) posted Fri, 21 September 2007 at 1:16 PM

hi you seem to know. are these specs bad? what is your sdvice on ram for running vue? Machine Name: iMac Machine Model: iMac5,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2 L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB Memory: 1 GB Bus Speed: 667 MHz Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B03 SMC Version: 1.9f4 Serial Number: W863312MVUV

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 21 September 2007 at 2:54 PM

4 Gig minimum, 8 preferably!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

wabe ( ) posted Fri, 21 September 2007 at 4:02 PM

Nah, not on Mac. But 1 GB could indeed a bit more. What you should try is to switch to wireframe mode, my guess is that the iMac graphic card is not the fastest. That is probably the major problem in your case.

What you can do as well is to switch all items that you actually do not need switch to wireframe box display. Or put them in layers and make those layers invisible. Then I am sure you will be able to work relatively smoothly again.

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 22 September 2007 at 2:56 AM · edited Sat, 22 September 2007 at 2:58 AM

Sorry didn't see the Mac [keep missing that]

My experience is with Windows and I still maintain that if you want a nice free flowing, smooth uninterrupted working environment without having to use "workarounds" with Vue you need lots of RAM.
Vallaha: If you check through previous posts there are many that address memory and Vue, both in this forum and the Poser one as there is a lot of cross over.

Having looked at your problem again though, as much as I don't want to I have to agree with Wabe's explanation seeing as I know Jack about Mac's!

Don't attack me again, it was a joke!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

wabe ( ) posted Sat, 22 September 2007 at 3:12 AM

Will think about the attack! :D

But on Mac things are indeed a bit different. I worked for years with Vue on a Mac with 1 GB Ram without more than the usual problems. And never with an out of memory message. However, more Ram is better, no question. At the moment I have 4 GB on a Mac Pro and this is of course better.

However, one important thing I forgot. Switch off the automatic scene preview (right mouse click on the prview image gives you this option). This is speed killer #1.

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.