Fri, Sep 20, 7:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Forum Net Meetings ?

Bill B ( ) posted Mon, 28 May 2001 at 3:34 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 7:24 AM

Dear Forum staff, I have been using the forum for a long time, I love it its the best source of info anywhere on the net. I use the Rhino forum and LW. I posted several messages to the Rhino community regarding getting a on line Rhino NET METTING going to help add in the sometimes complex communication of learning things from one another. I thought it would be cool if several users could log on together and have a small tutorial or lesson each week sort of thing. It would help to increase the understanding of concepts and commands. Since it is an ordeal for everyone to be net meeting ready, I was wondering what the possibility of this being a part of all the forums, and integrated into the main menu at the forum home page. Is this something that you guys might consider and would it be possible? Thank you Bill B

JeffH ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2001 at 7:30 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/chat.ez

Our Rhino forum moderator is away this week, but should be back soon. Not sure what "net meeting" is, but we do have a Java based chat feature here on this server. http://www.renderosity.com/chat.ez -JH.

rcook ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2001 at 10:44 PM

"Since it is an ordeal for everyone to be net meeting ready, I was wondering what the possibility of this being a part of all the forums, and integrated into the main menu at the forum home page. Is this something that you guys might consider and would it be possible?" I'm not exactly sure what you're wanting Bill. NetMeeting is an external application and is not integrated into the browser. What is it you are wanting to see on a web page?

Wizzard ( ) posted Wed, 30 May 2001 at 12:10 AM

basically from what I understand from the thread.. a separate "room" which is mainly for programe discussions as opposed to a general chatroom? with moderator, "oh be quiet" capabilities for the disruptive, with the ability to throw up a small image or so for illustration? we had rooms like that at C-Serve... semi-exclusive invite only.. for teaching or discussion of policy.. If I"m mistaken.. thanI apologize.. but taht's what I thought of based on teh original thread in teh Rhino Forum Cheers 8 )

RimRunner ( ) posted Wed, 30 May 2001 at 12:53 AM

Kinda sounds that way to me as well and I haven't been to the Rhino forum. ;) I think what he might be thinking of is something along the lines of SameTime (Lotus Development Corp.) or perhaps eRoom (eRoom Technologies, Inc.) Both of these products, using Java & ActiveX, allow for meetings to be scheduled, modirated and collabrative. That is, either multiple folks using the application (if shared) or at least watching in via a class-room type setting. SameTime is a little better at it, IMO, than eRoom. But they have come a long ways since the last version I was testing for 'em. Yes, these are external applications beyond what you're running now. But I believe looking at these might give you a good look at the concept. Very big in the Corp' world right now. ;)

The doctor says I have way too much blood in my caffeine system.

Bill B ( ) posted Wed, 30 May 2001 at 2:52 AM

Hey Guys, RimRunner hit it the closest to what I am talking about. I dont know much about it my self so I will try and explain it the way I understand it. Basically an area on the forum that would allow users to interact in real time. As far as I understand the Net Meeting software by MS it allows you to have several users logged in to it together, as though you are all in a meeting sitting at one PC. All users would be seeing the same thing on each of their monitors sitting at home or in there office. Kind of like a net gamming session. As rimrunner said this is getting really essential in the big bucks corp world. All people looking at what the person that has control of the SHARED APPLICATION. So the person that has control over the session would be able to do a small demonstration of a command or a small tutoria or what ever. May be even have a special advanced gust per week. The software allows you to share applications, files, write notes, and I think Evan talk, all in real time. I think the Microsoft version called MS net meeting is a standard in all win OS from 98 to the current win 2000,NT,win me, ect.. if you look under programs / accessories / communications / net meeting. You can read a bit and you will get the idea. So with all that said ( I hope I have made sense ) would it be a possibility to offer it on the forums. I think it could expand the users resources and would really be of great benefit to all forum members. In fact in my opinion would make renderosity the # 1 web resource for 3-D artists ( not that it is not that already ) the forums are a lifesaver. The reason I think it would be a great thing is to cut out all the misunderstood questions when writing a post, when you need help with something. This could cut out the to often long drawn out process of getting to the real meat of a question. Could be set up on a weekly basis or on demand type of thing, like a chat in real time or virtual type of thing. Well Let me know what you guys think, I have mentioned this the Rhino forum and a lot of people think it sounds like a really good Idea. Thanks Bill B.

rcook ( ) posted Wed, 30 May 2001 at 9:29 AM

"... would it be a possibility to offer it on the forums." Bill, I do know exactly what NetMeeting is. I've used it many times with audio, video and application sharing. I also don't like to use it much, becuase it requires me to put my machine outside my firewall into the DMZ. I still don't understand what it is you are wanting to see on the Renderosity web pages. Like I said before, NetMeeting is an external application that is not integrated with a web browser. I don't understand what you mean by "offer it on the forums". Do you just mean setting up a schedule? Or trying to make it a built-in part of the site?

Bill B ( ) posted Wed, 30 May 2001 at 8:01 PM

having it a part of the forum. Built into the forums, so if several people are logged on at the same time you could all log into a net meeting and see what others are doing. In other words lets say you are in need of some assistance. Instead of writing a post about your question you could find out who is on line in the fourms at that time and make a net meeting request right there on the spot. Then log into each other. I guess what I am saying is that it would be a link in the forum all set up and ready to work for anyone who is logged on so you could connect with people. Like the chat thing. Since I dont know to much about it, Maybe I am simply not making sence here. Would you like to talk on the phone to clear this up?? I can send my number or I can call you. Let me know Thanks Bill B

Bill B ( ) posted Wed, 30 May 2001 at 8:05 PM

I have never used the chat function on the forum but I just looked at it. That is what I am talking about, instead of writing to each other you would log into them and see there computer and vise versa.

rcook ( ) posted Wed, 30 May 2001 at 9:05 PM

I understand what you are wanting, and it's just not feasible given the way NetMeeting works. NetMeeting requires either the user to be logged into a directory server or make a direct connection to another user. Both of these are easily accomplished from within NetMeeting itself. It just wasn't designed for easy web integration.

Bill B ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2001 at 12:07 AM

OK Thanks, I will see if I can get it going on with the Rhino guys on an individule basis. May be some day it can be done in the future. Bill B

RimRunner ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2001 at 12:44 AM

RCook, how well does the easyboard system intergrate with either java or activeX ? Still might be possible, but not easy, to do. :) Just a thought. :)

rcook ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2001 at 8:20 AM

I'm not familiar with "easyboard". Got a link for it?

RimRunner ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2001 at 11:13 AM

Sorry, my mistake. It was late when I posted this. I mistook the name of the software in which you run the boards here from the name at the bottom (easyform). Anyway, I know the system here does handle sql quite well, just wondering how tuff it was for activeX & java intergration. I do know of some other products which will act much like what Bill has been talking about, but would allow you the control over users, access, feature sets, etc. Doing network admin. for the R&D wing of a large consultancy, I've seen a boat-load of products. The more impressive ones have been SameTime (Lotus) & eRoom (eRoom Technologies). In the case of Lotus, it's based on their Lotus Notes (domino) backend, but does not require intergration into a Domino environment. But then cost, servers and other issues like that come into play. If you would like more info on these types of things, we can take this to e-mail. I'd be more then happy to give links & whitepapers (where available) on these. :) - Rim

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.