Mon, Sep 9, 5:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: PoserPro - Next Generation of Poser From e-Frontier

mathman ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 12:30 AM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 8:19 PM

Attached Link: http://www.e-frontier.com/go/poserpro

Has anyone seen this yet ? If so, what are your thoughts ?

dphoadley ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 1:18 AM

As long as I can continue to play around with PosetteV3 and PosetteV3wG and PosetteeVe3 and P4DukeM3 -nothing else matteres!
DPH

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 1:29 AM

I don't know that it's anything to get too excited about yet.  Very little has been announced in the way of exact details.  Lots of people have speculated this and that, but I remember the pretty specific brag sheet info that surrounded Poser 7's release - and the lack of the same here is a bit of a non plus.

My Freebies

mamba-negra ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 1:40 AM

I kinda got the impression it was mostly for folks who use higher end software to more easily integrate with poser and it's content. Someone in another thread pointed out the original Poser Pro (prior to Poser 5) as an example of what they were doing.

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 2:26 AM

It's also going to be  a 64 bit app. which is a plus IMO!
There was a big thread a few weeks back when they first announced it, some positive towards it and some negative, usual stuff from a release!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

mathman ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 3:20 AM

Did I read correctly that Quidam is part of the release ?

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 3:24 AM

From what it sounds it's a very narrow version of Quidam that is crippled to only talk to Poser:

Quote - QUIDAM for Poser: Import, edit and create characters, then export rigged characters directly to native Poser format (Cr2) with this exclusive version of QUIDAM for Poser from N-sided.

My Freebies

martial ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 5:12 AM

I plan to install a 64 bits system with Vista  So 64 bits bersion of Poser seems good perspective Wait and see !

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 6:22 AM

before you get too excited, they are only claiming it is a 64bit render engine. not a 64 bit poser program.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 6:33 AM

Be aware also that the real reason you'd be interested in 64-bit at all is for memory management - as far as I've seen the difference in performance is small or even negligible.  If you're not running out of memory while rendering what you already want to render then there may not be anything to gain by switching to 64-bit rendering.  Now, it will likely expand your capabilities, but if you don't care about rendering more complex scenes it may not help you.

My Freebies

Tomsde ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 6:52 AM

It remains to be seen if this will be worth while, not to mention what the price will be.  I'm still in wait and see mode.  I'm wondering if there are any GUI improvements along with everything else.  When the original Pro Pack was released it offered many GUI improvement like muilti-port viewing and being able to see and manipulate the cameras in the scene.  

It would be nice if they released some screen shots.  I am intersted in Quidam, but it may be worth just buying that instead of this Poser Version--especially since I don't have any of those high end programs.

mickmca ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 7:26 AM

My guess is another round of marketing BS, like the giant-slayer hype on C6P. It will do 30% of what you could reasonably expect, which will be 3% of that they are claiming in the hype.

Oh, and the Poser Mob will grab it up as fast as it can be packaged and then either claim evangelically that it does too or grouse that we "got fooled again."

Priorities. What else matters?
M

Tomsde ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 8:01 AM

From what I read int he fax it seems like it will be exactly like P4 and Pro Pack, an upgrade module that will require you already have P7 on your computer to bring it up.  The faqs reads as follows:

Q. Will my copy of Poser 7 work “with” Poser Pro or would I be replacing it.
A. Those customers owning Poser 7 prior to the release of Poser Pro will have their current Poser 7 license upgrade to Poser Pro with the purchase of a Poser Pro license (at the upgrade price) in essence getting a 2 for 1 deal and allowing you to immediately take advantage of the network rendering capabilities of Poser Pro.

mamba-negra ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 8:09 AM

Actually, the network rendering is a nice feature- though, the dogs that I have available to me other than my desktop wouldn't be much help in rendering:P Vue 6's ability to queue p renders and let you continue working is a wonderful thing, though. If Poser Pro has something like that as part of the network rendering, it might be worth it even if you don't have a second computer. I was under the impression that massive number crunching applications (of which 3d rendering would be counted) 64bit would help. However, the applications I have been working on in my RL job didn't show any improvement when I compiled them under 64bit. However, I think 3d rendering is a bit more linear than what we do, so it might be more optimizable...who knows.

mathman ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 8:30 AM

Just wondering, do 64 bit apps run in XP ?

Tomsde ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 8:50 AM

Yes 64 bit applications run on XP if you have the 64 bit version of XP on your computer, same as Vista.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 8:56 AM

Meh - if they come out with a Linux version I would get it. Otherwise I have no real need for the thing. By the by, only the renderer is 64-bit IIRC. The rest is 32. mathman - you have to have a 64-bit edition of XP, otherwise you won't be able to run a 64-bit proggie in it. Macs will run either 64 or 32-bit apps in OSX 10.3.x and better (assuming you have something of recent vintage - G5 or better). /P

Tomsde ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 9:36 AM

Microsoft says they're pulling XP from the market again at the end of the year or something, so if you want to get the 64 bit version act quickly!

Khai ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 9:38 AM · edited Tue, 02 October 2007 at 9:39 AM

Quote - Microsoft says they're pulling XP from the market again at the end of the year or something, so if you want to get the 64 bit version act quickly!

June 30th 2008 actually. (this has been extended and could be extended again due to low vista sales)

Quote - Microsoft was scheduled to stop selling the six-year-old operating system on 30 January 2008 to leave the field clear for Vista.Now the date on which many sellers of XP will no longer be able to offer it has been lengthened to 30 June 2008.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7017624.stm

AnAardvark ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 10:06 AM

Quote - Be aware also that the real reason you'd be interested in 64-bit at all is for memory management - as far as I've seen the difference in performance is small or even negligible.  If you're not running out of memory while rendering what you already want to render then there may not be anything to gain by switching to 64-bit rendering.  Now, it will likely expand your capabilities, but if you don't care about rendering more complex scenes it may not help you.

And if you aren't running P7, you won't know if 64-bits is an improvement. I've found that P7 has never used more than a GB, and often only about 650 MB, on scenes which in P6 would cause an out-of-memory error. P7 is much more effective with memory, and can probably handle anything within reason. (If you have a lot of figures close together, it is conceivable that the number of textures in a "bucket" would be sufficiently high to cause render problems.

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 10:17 AM

I recently upgraded to 64 bit and I'm glad I did, I would never go back to 32 bit now!
The fact that I can run with 8 Gig of RAM and that Vue can actually use it is a big plus IMO. I haven't pushed Poser 7 with the scenes I render in Vue so I can't say how it handles the memory available to it as a 32 bit app. I render exclusively in Vue these days after setting up the entire scene [if indoors] in Poser 6 or 7.

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 11:38 AM · edited Tue, 02 October 2007 at 11:39 AM

As I've stated elsewhere -- I am not going to make assumptions - good or bad - about a new software package's finer points before I actually get a chance to use the software.  But if this new Poser Pro does what it claims that it will do -- then it'll be worthwhile to me.

BTW - C6Pro isn't a layman's tool.  D|S can be: but not C6Pro.  I'm convinced that's a large part of C6Pro's troubles.......along with a lack of full Poser compatibility + misc. bugs scattered around.  But if they can fix it -- it'll be a powerhouse of a program.  It already is a 'powerhouse' now, within certain parameters.  No, C6Pro isn't a "Poser killer" (a silly idea from the get-go) -- in actual fact, the more Poser-friendly that Carrara is allowed to be: the better that it'll be for the future of the program, IMO.

As for Vista -- I was willing to give it a chance (as I prefer to start from a standpoint of assuming the positive), but I fear that MS has truly served up a colossal flop with that one.  By far the worst of it being that Vista envinces such a huge lack of backwards-compatibility with many, many major applications -- including the AutoCAD which I use daily.  One of my co-workers bought a new machine and decided to go with Vista 64bit.  It was a decision which I think that he now sincerely regrets, as very few apps that he uses will run on it.

MS might be able to pull a rabbit out of its hat with the first service pack for Vista -- but I'm not holding my breath.  I believe that I'll be on XP for some time to come.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 12:48 PM

At work we develop and use software that runs in parallel on multiple computers organized into a server farm. This is for business intelligence calculations processing huge quantities of enterprise data in very complex ways. We have roughly 20 machines, most dual or quad core. One of them has 2 quad cores (8 cores) in it and 16 GB of RAM and a Terabyte of disk in a RAID5 configuration. So overall I have about 72 cores at my fingertips, plus the two in my desktop.

Drooling now, imagining rendering with 74 threads.

Unfortunately, our servers are all running Linux! Damn it.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

FrankT ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 1:07 PM

so stick a copy of WINE on them while nobody is looking :)

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 1:13 PM

You should suggest that they need to switch the servers over to something more compatible with Poser, so as to take full advantage of those 74 threads.

My own company would praise me for making such a suggestion.  I'd probably get a raise.  About the only suggestion that would gain me even higher praise would be to turn everything over into a useful game server.  😉

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 1:25 PM

somebody may wanna find out if e-f replaced their render engine with something faster. FFRender addressing 16 GB RAM may not be much faster than FFRender addressing 1.5 GB RAM, FAIK.

Tomsde ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 1:52 PM

Vista still have major open GL issues that aren't going to be resolved in the near future I'm afraid.  I can run Poser on it, but only in ScreeD mode.  There still needs to be more work done.  I've had less problems on my laptop than I had when I tried to go to Vista on my desktop (ended up going back to XP--too many applications not compatible).  I'm not sure if it was due to the fact I have Premium on the laptop and Ultimate on the desktop--or it the laptop is handling it better due to being configured for Vista.

If anyone were to ask me what OS to go with right now, I'd still say XP without a doubt until they iron more of the bugs out of Vista.  Some days I wonder if Vista is simply the latest Windows ME and whether it will be around when I buy a new new PC years from now.

moogal ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 2:00 PM

Quote - From what it sounds it's a very narrow version of Quidam that is crippled to only talk to Poser:

Quote - QUIDAM for Poser: Import, edit and create characters, then export rigged characters directly to native Poser format (Cr2) with this exclusive version of QUIDAM for Poser from N-sided.

You mean there's finally a program besides Poser that can export a cr2?  That sounds tempting right there!  What's this gonna cost though, about $500?

moogal ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 2:09 PM

Quote - My guess is another round of marketing BS, like the giant-slayer hype on C6P. It will do 30% of what you could reasonably expect, which will be 3% of that they are claiming in the hype.

Oh, and the Poser Mob will grab it up as fast as it can be packaged and then either claim evangelically that it does too or grouse that we "got fooled again."

Priorities. What else matters?
M

Hmmm...  I bought C6P, seems reasonably close to what I understood it was supposed to offer.  I didn't expect the ocean prim to be a fluid sim, nor did I interpret "use Daz content" to mean it would load all Poser or Studio scenes.  It renders hella fast, has the most intuitive (to me) interface of any program I've bought this year, and the hair sim is nice also.  My only disappointment came after seeing powerpose and puppeteer in Studio didn't also have counterparts in C6P.  People who are suspicious of positive hype can often be quick to accept any negative rumblings.  Anyway, there's a service release coming in a week or so, we'll see if that changes any opinions. 

mamba-negra ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 2:10 PM

Heh, BagginsBill, I work at a university and our cluster has over a 1000 nodes on it with at least 2 processors each!. Hm, I could really make renders fly! (And yes, they are all linux too:( ) Actually, my little quadcore mac renders pretty nicely right now. I wish they would split the load between threads better. If one processor gets stuck with all of the hair, it will take several minutes still. They should have the threads working on chunks and coming back for more when they are done, rather than divying them up blindly at the beginning.

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 10:32 PM

ever since Dos 3.0 (dang, am I that old?) I've always shied away from anything ending in .0...;)

Been doing Vista training right and left lately (we're losing our training site on the 15th...sigh..;) and I can see many opportunities for really making a good day bad (Homeland Security must have designed some of the features..;) 

I'm sure we have clusters of servers at work, but we're worldwide...probably in another time zone..;) but we're locked down solid, so it's a moot point...;)

I may try for a new PC for Christmas, but we'll see how many cores cost how much when the time comes..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2007 at 10:36 PM

pak, I priced a mac pro tower today. I maxxed out all the options, and it came to over $10000 american.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 7:42 AM

pakled wants to insult Vista - Allow?

cackle cackle

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 9:03 AM

For what it's worth, UAC (that "Cancel or Allow" thingy) can be turned off. It's an emulation (a poor one at that) of OSX and Ubuntu's security dialog. In the latter cases, you get asked for your password - but only when you install an app that could potentially affect the whole system (it's tied to sudo, and unlike UAC, the mechanisms behind it are a natural part of any *nix based OS). The reason UAC is such a mess is because Vista --underneath it all-- still has pretty much the same security as XP and Win2k (with only few differences). MSFT still hasn't figured out how to emulate that right. It's already widespread news that most big businesses are avoiding Vista altogether until they have no real choice, and from what I've seen so far, I don't blame 'em. /P

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 9:15 AM

Oh,I hope P7P has at least a few GUI enhancements; I just got through installing a 22" widescreen on the main system....wow. It's gonna take awhile to adjust to all that real estate.....

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 11:14 AM

sigh  Vista --

MS forgot the cardinal rule: you don't just dump a new OS onto everyone overnight with little-to-no regard for built-in backwards compatibility with existing applications & hardware.  OS changes need to be evolutionary over time -- not revolutionary.  If it's revolutionary: then chances are that your user base will revolt.

XP64 might be a viable option for me in the meantime.  I'll see what happens with Vista SP1 first before I decide which way to jump, though.  Not that I'm expecting Vista SP1 to be a panacea -- but you never know.  So I'll wait for it.

Who knows?  Poser Pro + XP64 might be just the thing..........

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 11:50 AM

XP64 is very well behaved, and is probably the most stable PC operating system I've worked with.

My Freebies

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 12:02 PM

Yes, I've heard a lot of good things about XP64.  Pretty much all of the people that have discussed it seem very happy with it.

Not sure if it's OK with AutoCAD, though.  I'll have to check on that one first.

No doubt, all PC users will have to go with Vista (or its successor) eventually.  But it might be another year or two before MS gets it right.  Or alternately: before the market's hardware / software has a realistic chance to adapt to Vista.

IIRC, we've still got one or two people around here who claim to be running Windows 98 -- and as shocking as this sounds: we've still got a few P4 holdouts left around, too.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 12:22 PM

Quote - ...Not sure if it's OK with AutoCAD, though.  I'll have to check on that one first....

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=9484817&linkID=9240617
They (autodesk) didn't list 3ds max 8 (only listed R9) and that runs fine under Vista with no hitches.
At the worst, I would say that you may have to run an older AutoCAD version in Windows XP compatability mode and maybe also run it as administrator.

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 12:36 PM

I was referring to running AutoCAD under XP64 -- not under Vista.  I am already familiar with the AutoCAD / Vista situation.  While it's true that you can get AutoCAD to run under Vista32 using XP mode, it's also true that AutoCAD's overall performance tends to be significantly degraded in the process.

So.....at least for the moment, I don't think that I'll risk heading out into deep waters with Vista.

From what I've gathered so far, AutoCAD won't run at all under Vista64.  But I haven't seriously researched the question yet.  XP64 I am wondering about, though.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 12:55 PM · edited Wed, 03 October 2007 at 12:55 PM

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=8446045

Additional System Requirements for 64-bit AutoCAD

• Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows Vista 64-bit
  • AMD64 or Intel EM64T processor
  • 1GB RAM, 2GB for Windows Vista 64-bit
  • 750 MB free disk space for installation

AutoCAD 64-bit cannot be installed on a 32-bit Windows Operating System.

Autodesk says it works....

edit: oh, well that's AutoCAD 2008 isn't it.

My Freebies

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 1:00 PM

I have AutoCAD 2008.  But I haven't installed it yet.  In my business, it's as much a matter of what your clients are currently using as it is a matter of whatever the latest and greatest happens to be.  For the time being, I am on AutoCAD 2007.1.

There are other issues involved with AutoCAD 2008 besides just Vista.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 1:07 PM · edited Wed, 03 October 2007 at 1:14 PM

Trust me -- I work with several architectural firms as clients.  Some of them have tried the Vista / AutoCAD 2008 route -- and they have not been happy since then.

No doubt, as always happens -- you'll have some who will say that it's all the cat's meow for them.  But that hasn't been the experience around here so far.

Edited to add: if you read over Autodesk's own forums, you'll see some of the end-user gripes of the moment.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 2:00 PM · edited Wed, 03 October 2007 at 2:00 PM

I'll add this, too:  Vista is the first new OS release from Microsoft where I haven't jumped on the bandwagon immediately.  I did that with XP, and I was glad that I did.  So far, I've been glad that I didn't do that with Vista.

I'll be a huge Vista supporter......when the OS works better than it does now.

martial ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 3:01 PM

I will opt to Vista 64 because this Os has bugs (ok ok) but it has a futur (and corrections of bugs )  And i want an OS using all 4-6 GB ram in my next computer
XP 64 is very good but it a Os with a near end so....

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 3:27 PM · edited Wed, 03 October 2007 at 3:27 PM

shrug

Ya makes yer choices and ya place yer bets........

Sure, the latest 64bit OS will be the one to go with.......eventually.  But I might be running XP64 for a couple of years before that -- and at least I'll know that my current setup will work under it.

However, as I've indicated in earlier posts: I'll wait to see what magic MS manages to work with Vista's SP1 edition first.  They might surprise me.  It's possible.

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 5:30 PM

Vista SP1 ia apparently in beta......and even Microsoft is -not- blowing the horns on it.... http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9790540-7.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 5:39 PM

Thank you very much for that link, Dale. sigh  That article appears to directly answer some questions.

The primary answer being: Windows XP it is for now.

Jcleaver ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 7:12 PM

I intalled Vista 64-bit; and I can't say that I regret it at all.  I have heard the complaints about OpenGL not working with it; however, it works fine for me.  My guess is in order toget it to work right, you have to have the right drivers.

The only thing I had that won't run is a very old labelmaker program that was written for Windows 3.1.  Everything else works well.

John

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 9:30 PM

I've heard a few others say the same sorts of things.  But they have not been in the majority.

mylemonblue ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 10:54 PM

I half wonder if Vista is only a wedge OS designed to break people out of their use of XP without being so comfy they might want to stick with Vista when Microsoft launches it's new 64 bit only OS in late 2008 to early 2009. Personally I find the Microsoft collecting data on people with Vista a extremely offensive act. I have to much self respect to let them do that to me and I already revile Mallware distributors for doing that.

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.