Fri, Sep 20, 7:47 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Upgrade Your Lazy Old PC To A "Cheap" Dell P4...

Fox-Mulder ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2001 at 2:46 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 7:38 AM

Time to GET IN SHAPE for Vue 4 Folks... Earlier this month Dell unveiled a new model with a 1.7-gigahertz Pentium 4 processor the fastest chip available. Within weeks, the price had dropped by 20 percent to $1,349...

MikeJ ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2001 at 4:30 AM

Man, I can't believe how the prices are dropping! It's almost like the prices are dropping AS the technology increases. My PC was $1900, without the monior I bought separately, and it "only" has a 600 MHZ Athlon. I figure in another 6 months, I'll be able to buy a used PC, twice the power and storage as this one, for probably a quarter of the price. :)

Daffy34 ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2001 at 6:32 AM

When I bought my 200mhz Compaq (not the one I have now), it was the fastest thing going at the time and it cost $1900 with out the monitor! How times have changed! But I'm glad they have ;). Laurie

glennjan ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2001 at 7:36 AM

funny you should mention this te dell P4 is one of the PCs that I am considering getting the other is a 1.3 GHZ Athlon from gateway unfortunately by the time I add the ram that I would like and a couple of add ons Both systems top out at around 1900+ also probably without the monitor maybe if I wait a couple of more weeks the price will drop or If I wait for the next release the prices will drop like a stone......of course then I would probably want the new one :)

Daffy34 ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2001 at 7:50 AM

I have learned a few things over the years....waiting doesn't really do much good in a market that changes so fast. By the time the computer arrives it's already outdated :). I've been considering getting a new chip...my mobo will handle up to a PIII 1.3ghz. That's nearly double what I have now and since the P4's have come out, the PIII's are cheap. I'm not ready to buy a whole new kind of ram yet. I have 384 megs of sdram. I figure a PIII is a heck of a lot better than a Celeron...and I'll be able to run a 100mhz bus (my ram is only 100mhz). Should be a hell of a boost in performance all by itself :). Laurie

glennjan ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2001 at 7:57 AM

Even though the P4 chip is down in price It didnt appear to get a very good review...I am also looking at the PIII because it got a better review and it uses less expensive ram than the 1.7 Ghz that I am looking at

Obi Van ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2001 at 9:52 AM

Hi, I am no expert but I heard rumours about P4 might eventually work with SDRAMS instead of those bastard RDRAMS that costs more than my old car. AMD is obviously also soon (this summer?)releasing a new AMD4 processor that looks very interesting...it was just released in a laptop version. But you are right Daffy34...one should be happy with whats available...that is usually more than enough...maybe not! Enjoy Sunshine in Life Ole

Varian ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2001 at 1:19 AM

Attached Link: http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5089428,00.html

It must be time to go shopping, eh? ;) *GATEWAY: 'PC PRICE WAR...? COOL.' The story: CEO Ted Waitt just borrowed a line from the Men's Wearhouse guy: "I guarantee it." Rather than engage in a tit-for-tat price war with competitors, Waitt's Gateway is issuing a blanket decree: We'll beat any advertised price on a PC from Compaq, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Sony, or Toshiba. To support the program, a series of television ads will run with the phrase, "PC Price War...? Cool."* Full story at URL. http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5089428,00.html

hein ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2001 at 2:08 PM

Upped the PII-350 to a AMD 1Gig + MSI Mboard + 512Mb mem, paid $360 for the lot, give me price wars anytime. Guess I'm ready for VUE4. :) Just got back from the USofA , noticed that while the hardware had a slightly friendlier pricetag, the software was rather (10 to 20%) more expensive.

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2001 at 5:22 PM

Wow, hein, you got all that for only $360.00? That's incredible. When I bought my Compaq, I also paid extra for free upgrades for two years-- I have to pay for the parts, but the service is free--- I guess I'd best get on it before time runs out!

hein ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2001 at 12:55 PM

The last "brand" computer I bought was an Amiga in 1985 and even that one I upgraded and rebuilt, usually works out cheaper and you can go as fancy as your wallet permits. Ofcourse if your computer training is by trial & terror you learn to live with the occasional error :)

Daffy34 ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2001 at 1:11 PM

"Of course if your computer training is by trial & terror you learn to live with the occasional error." That's rather the position I'm in hein...I know just enough about hardware to be DANGEROUS! LOL! I usually muddle my way through tho. Of course if I didn't have the help of the hubby I'd be sunk! ;) We make a good team tho...he knows all about hardware and I'm the software guru. :) Laurie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.